• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellkamp

Reaction score

With AE sale plus Amazon discount, new Fifth Avenues on the way for $191.

I'm going to jump on the amazon deal very soon. Im going to go to a random shoe store to get my foot measured and then purchase based on the measurement and ae's website.

WICaniac

Reaction score
I really recommend going to the store and getting fitted properly. Your Allen Edmonds shoe size vs usual shoe size may surprise you. The sizing guide online is only accurate when considering your heel to toe length, which may vary from your heel to ball-of-foot length. For example, on the size guide, my length is a 7.5, but the size that fits the ball of my foot is 8.5 D. If you plan on investing in a quality pair of shoes, it's worth the time to get sized and fitted properly by a professional.

Edit: In the past, people have had success tracing their foot on paper and sending it to the shoebank for a size recommendation.

I'm going to jump on the amazon deal very soon. Im going to go to a random shoe store to get my foot measured and then purchase based on the measurement and ae's website.

Andrew N is spot-on regarding the distance between the base of your heel and the ball of your foot. Depending on which shoe store you go to and the knowledge of the SA, he or she may neglect to give you your size based on this calculation.

BigRob

Reaction score
I bought a pair of burnished brown CXL leather Bayfield boots. I like them - they fit well and look spiffy - but they squeak loudly when I walk. It's caused by the upper-tongue rubbing against the leather where the eyelets are.

Will this go away with wear or should I apply a product to fix it (i.e. baby powder, or saddle soap)?

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate you guys. I need a brown shoe....

I now can't decide between the brown cordovan, brown calf, or the independence brown calf. I am inclined to say I like the standard brown burnished calf the best, but the independence dark brown feels so much nicer...and the cordovan is just :slayer:

GOP Shoe Guy

Reaction score
Here are the Webgem Shell Jeffersons after cleaning them up (renomat, a couple mac method treatments, venetian creme, renovator, and lots of brushing... more of that to come) They shined up pretty nice. I am reminded as to how dark my brown shell strands were when I got them early this summer. A few months later they have lightened up nicely (whether it be from wear or sunlight), and I look forward to these lightening up some as well. All in all, I am very happy with these.

Last edited:

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This must be size / vendor dependent, as nothing is my size is coming up with the RDA pricing. Who was the actual seller? Amazon proper?
...agreed. Nothing that I've seen has been even close to the RDA price. I asked about that previously, and no one responded, so I'm guessing that it's not as straightforward as it seems.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This must be size / vendor dependent, as nothing is my size is coming up with the RDA pricing. Who was the actual seller? Amazon proper?

I got my Delrays through the Amazon RDA sale + 20% off, so $191 as well. Mine were sold by Amazon proper, but I see that some sizes in the same shoe under ShoeBuy as the vendor are also going for the same price.

green garden

Reaction score
Had the heel stack looked this good in their pics online, I probably would have gotten these. But who am I to complain, I am getting these in a MTO with cappuccino.

-Mike
+1. The heel stack in the online pictures looked pale. The actual shade really looks good. Great make-up.

green garden

Reaction score
Here are the Webgem Shell Jeffersons after cleaning them up (renomat, a couple mac method treatments, venetian creme, renovator, and lots of brushing... more of that to come) They shined up pretty nice. I am reminded as to how dark my brown shell strands were when I got them early this summer. A few months later they have lightened up nicely (whether it be from wear or sunlight), and I look forward to these lightening up some as well. All in all, I am very happy with these.

Nice catch! Can you post side by side color compare with your Strands? Would be very interested to see how the brown shell evolved. Thanks.

ryansto

Reaction score
These look great! Care to give a review? How are they holding up?
The Rothsays have been a dream on the foot all day! The cushion of the sole, paired with the cushioned insole has been wonderful. The height is perfect- doesn't interfere with ankle motion, at all. I am loving the look of the black welt breaking up the brown upper and cream sole. FYI: the Harrier sole will soak in dirt, but I guess that's to be expected.

I would highly recommend them as a casual F/W boot.

Sweetchuck

Reaction score
For those that have ordered MTO through Allison, can you order the Independence lining for any of the AE shoes? More specifically for a pair of Strands?

Thanks,

cincikid

Reaction score
I was wondering how burgundy/#8 PRB would look with the natural welt and sole edge. Have never seen one made either by AE or Alden, but stumbled upon a pair of Trickers on eBay just now (http://tinyurl.com/m5fyx2n), and I think they look awesome.

Will check with Nick V. whether they can change the black edge on my Alden for BB PTBs to natural.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads