1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

It's OK. Just make sure it's a spoiler! haha

2. cincikid

cincikid Well-Known Member

Depending on your size, you can get a great deal on Sebago handsewn in Maine on Amazon.

3. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

Thanks and my size is not stocked...at least I know to keep an eye out there now.

4. dmwave45

dmwave45 Member

Yea, I see that. I think my worry is that after a day of wearing they won't be that comfortable. This was a shoebank order...can you exchange if they have it in a different size? Is there a fee?

5. DeathandTaxes

DeathandTaxes Well-Known Member

I picked up this pair of McTavish in Brown Distressed during the 2 for $250 sale and would like some opinions on whether they are keepers. The thing I noticed was the dark area on the left shoe. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. pretzel

pretzel Member

7. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

Everyone, this is Nigel. Nigel, this is . . . well, everyone:

[​IMG]

Suede, in case that doesn't come through clearly. Made by AE for Ralph Lauren. $124, courtesy of the Jeffersonville outlet.

And, best of all . . . I'm pretty sure it's an LWB that mdubs doesn't already own!

1 person likes this.
  8. hohneokc

hohneokc Well-Known Member

With the distressed leather, you are going to develop creases and different shading is a lot of areas of the shoe. I have noticed this withy my tan natural McTavish, but I have noticed it more on my cognac McTavish. I would say put some AE Leather Lotion on them and wear them. That is the look I want with a distressed leather, so I would keep them. But they are your shoes, so you have to be sure you are OK with them. Chris

1 person likes this.
  9. hohneokc

hohneokc Well-Known Member

Very nice, I think I like that a lot better than the Strandmoks. Chris

10. froggy41

froggy41 Member

You definitely wanna keep them. In time both shoes will look similar, with some conditioning. I have a pair, and they are my go-to's on a daily basis. Super comfy and the distressed look just gives it more character.

11. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

I never got into either the Strandmok or the Spiaggia - the contrasting stitching turned me off. I'm very glad I found these instead. They're a little snug in the forefoot (damn those RL lasts!) so I'm gonna wear them around the house a little before fully committing to them. But, looks-wise I'm totally smitten.

12. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

HaHa. You got me with that one... :)

13. walkthewalk

walkthewalk Member

Where can I purchase a good cheap shoe horn, preferably online?

14. devastitis

devastitis Well-Known Member

Yesterday, they were $10 each on Jos A Banks. If you check their website regularly, you'll see 60% off storewide specials. I picked up a pair of shoe trees for my last set of shoes.

15. BigRob

BigRob Well-Known Member

I bought four shoe trees at $10 each yesterday. Was planning on only buying two (to cover my two-for-250 purchase) but the $9 shipping made me think it worthwhile to plan ahead.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  16. cadmonkey

cadmonkey Well-Known Member

Can someone comment on the exchange policy for shoebank? Just got these in and there is some noticeable streaking(?) around the throat and vamp area. Not sure if it will look worse with wear.
    [​IMG]
    See vamp

[​IMG]

Cap toes look a little splotchy? Not as concerned about this.
    [​IMG]

17. devastitis

devastitis Well-Known Member

I picked up a couple gingham dress shirts and a couple pairs of boxers to get the free shipping. I was considering getting a couple more shoe trees because they were so cheap, but that would end up costing me much more than their $10 price tag haha.

18. walkthewalk

walkthewalk Member

Do they have the same deals in store as online? I have been waiting for the trees to go on sale, but I called the store today and they said they change the sales every few days.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  19. hoit1981

hoit1981 Well-Known Member

Is it ever possible to get Shoebank staff to inspect pairs of 2nd's that are in the "warehouse"? I'm interested in something but would love a condition assessment before I purchase. I take it this is probably not possible, and that purchasing 2nd's just involves pot-luck?

20. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Well-Known Member

Don't know if they do this regularly, but my SA volunteered to do this for me with a pair or suede singletons I bought. She said she would go check them out since they were the last pair and white. She told me the issue over the phone, and I proceeded to purchase them. Just be nice, and it couldn't hurt to ask.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.