• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bucksfan

Reaction score

Any reviews or opinion's on the AE cordovan tab belt? i'm not too sold on the tab design, would rather have it plain. what would be a good cordovan belt alternative to match the my AE burgundy shell's?

I have black and burgundy - both are great. The tab doesn't interfere with the look or for at all. Get a polished cobbler for use with suits, but the cordovan belts are great

I've tried it on (at Norton Ditto in Dallas) and it's very nice. You really don't notice the tabs on the belt at all. I happen to have a 10% coupon above and beyond the low price of that belt on the RDA sale - I'm seriously considering it.

Do the outlets ever get the tab cordovan belts?

Does anyone know the answer to this question?

Yes, I got both of mine from an outlet. The cordovan were first quality, though I have bought second quality belts from them before.

Last edited:

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first wear of the walnut Ralph Lauren Saunders I got from the recent 2/250 seconds sale.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have black and burgundy - both are great. The tab doesn't interfere with the look or for at all. Get a polished cobbler for use with suits, but the cordovan belts are great
I'm not sure what the tab is referring to. Is the way the end of the belt looks? Do you have the polished cobbler? Isn't it corrected grain?

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score
Quote:
Yeah, I do that. In the winter I leave a pair of black and a pair of brown shoes at the office and wear timberland workboots in. I've done this for two winters now and it was worth it. I bought the tims so I could beat the crap out of them. I don't want to risk my nicer shoes either. That said, I'm probably getting a used pair of lugged sole leather boots as well. Hoping to find used long branches, but I'll probably end up with fryes.

I'm also 24 and while I don't have a family, I also don't have that much money. Honestly, my average weekly paycheck is lower than a pair of AE shell daltons when paying sticker price. That's the thing for me though is I'd rather save and buy quality, even if that means buying used or waiting and buying seconds. Before I really new what I was doing, I picked up a couple of pairs of shoes that either didn't fit me or were cheaply made. I have a nice cut on my right foot from where a pair of patent leather shoes folded and cut into my foot every step... I'm trying to fix the creases with shoe trees, but I don't have high hopes.

From here on out, my collection will probably thin out as I give away or toss the shoes that I just am not happy with and I'll replace a few pairs with a pair of shoes that's built to last. For instance, I really want tan AE wingtip shoes, but I already have a pair of tan cole haan monkstraps with wingtips. I'll keep those till they die. Maybe I'll add a pair of black monkstraps at some point, but that's not likely till the spring. I'm more interested in boots right now.

I will say that compared to what I was doing two years ago when I first graduated, I'm going out less and tend to work instead of going out most days during the workweek. I put most of the $$$ differential into savings and allow myself to spend some of the rest. I also buy all my clothes from thrift stores and have a pretty nice selection of dress shirts/pants/ties that I paid what I would have paid for two outfits otherwise. I did splurge on three wool tweed blazers recently, but that was 50 bucks total. Haha.

If you're interested in something and don't want to spend a ton, I would look for used shoes in good condition. My set of used daltons was in pristine condition and there are lots of their shoes on ebay and available used through members here. I like dressing well, but have to keep the budget in perspective. Will I pay 70 bucks for a BB shirt? No! But if I find one that fits me for 8 bucks at a thrift store, then I'm probably not going to pass it up.

great posts guys! Yeah, I've recently started to buy quality instead of quantity (though I didn't buy quantity before either). I don't have a real need for dress shoes just yet so saving up money to buy a pair or two a year is just fine with me. I've always been a quality over quantity type of guy when it comes to shoes, but I wasn't interested in dress shoes until this past year. I've always loved shoes, since I started playing basketball at age 8 (basketball shoes were my previous obsession for most of my life).

Honestly I have no problem paying full price for AE shoes. I save up my $50-$100 a month until I have enough, then I buy the shoes I want after much thought and consideration. I don't feel guilty about spending this money because it's cash that I've saved up (apart from what I put in savings) and set aside as my spending money. I used to spend that money on video games, blue ray discs and the like. Spending it on shoes is much more worthwhile.

The reason I would never spend $200 or anything close to that on a wallet is not because of my lack of money, it's because I just don't value wallets. I don't ride bikes (I never learned) so I would be foolish to spend top dollar on a nice bike that I would never touch. The same goes for the wallet, if at some point I develop a need for a wallet, and I have the money, I may very well spend the money and buy a nice wallet, but right now it's not a justifiable purchase for me.

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score
what is your guys' opinion on the swim overshoes? Are they worth the money? Where do you put them after you take them off of your shoes?

rc121

Reaction score
my experienxe with wallets has led me to purchase a quality one that will last me for a very long time (saddleback and their 100 year warranty helps). I got tired of buying cheaper leather wallets every 2 years or so that were $40 - $50 each. While I probably wouldn't spend $200 for a cordovan wallet, but it would seem justifiable since it will last much longer than the 4 wallets, 8 years and $200 I spent replacing them.

WICaniac

Reaction score
My first wear of the walnut Ralph Lauren Saunders I got from the recent 2/250 seconds sale.

I'm jealous.

what is your guys' opinion on the swim overshoes? Are they worth the money? Where do you put them after you take them off of your shoes?
I just bought a pair during BB's 25% off sale. Even at $75, I would not have purchased them without having researched them on this forum and elsewhere. You can find ample testimonials, nearly all of them glowing. You're paying extra for the lining, which doesn't rub the shine off of your shoes. A few people have complained that this lining deteriorates, but as long as you don't wear them suede or nubuck you should be fine. (This is the consensus view I gathered from my research; I haven't worn mine enough to add my opinion on this count). Swims come with a bag for storage and (if need be) toting about after removal.

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score
I'm jealous.

I just bought a pair during BB's 25% off sale. Even at $75, I would not have purchased them without having researched them on this forum and elsewhere. You can find ample testimonials, nearly all of them glowing. You're paying extra for the lining, which doesn't rub the shine off of your shoes. A few people have complained that this lining deteriorates, but as long as you don't wear them suede or nubuck you should be fine. (This is the consensus view I gathered from my research; I haven't worn mine enough to add my opinion on this count). Swims come with a bag for storage and (if need be) toting about after removal.
thanks for the info! The fact that they come with a bag is a real selling point for me since overshoes tend to get very dirty.

While living in Mongolia I had a pair of overshoes with ice spikes on the bottom for walking around outside (the ground is covered in several inches of ice for at least 6 months of the year). I would just throw them in an empty pocket in my backpack upon entering a building. My bag got very dirty, very fast.

Do swims ever get stretched out to the point that they fall off of your feet while walking? With the above mentioned overshoes I had, this became a problem after a few months of daily wear (taking them off and putting them back on 2-3 times a day minimum).

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Love mine, but I also paid $65 at Brooks Brothers and $30 at AE for them. I keep one pair at the office and one pair at home. Every January/February, AE puts all the non-black colors on sale for $30 or so, so I would carry your shoes this winter and pick up a pair then.

After using, I leave them out to dry before putting them back in their bag.

SBear

Reaction score
Considering the burgundy shell Bradley. I've way overspent my shoe budget but that hasn't seemed to stop me. For those with this shoe (or other split toe blucher), what are your experiences for style, use, etc.? When, where, with what, do you wear them...how often... If you don't like this style, reasons are also welcomed. Any thoughts or feedback is much appreciated.

Last edited:

SBear

Reaction score

Very nice. I got the same and really like them. I decided to use merlot polish on them to shift the color just slightly. Not sure if it really worked the first time but we'll see how they look with time. I'll post pics if they do noticeably change. Why were yours seconds?

SBear

Reaction score
PSA: Hinsdale, Marietta, and Athens were just added to the clearance section of the AE site (now $227-247 plus 15% off for the RDA sale)

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

PSA: Hinsdale, Marietta, and Athens were just added to the clearance section of the AE site (now $227-247 plus 15% off for the RDA sale)
And weybridge. Too bad it's black only.

DHD28

Reaction score
I really hate asking fitting questions, but I am desperate.

The only 5 pairs of AEs I have are on the 5 last. 7.5 E to be exact.

Some fit advice for a pair of Calf Dundees? (1 last)

MUCH THANKS IN ADVANCE!

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

I really hate asking fitting questions, but I am desperate.

The only 5 pairs of AEs I have are on the 5 last. 7.5 E to be exact.

Some fit advice for a pair of Calf Dundees? (1 last)

MUCH THANKS IN ADVANCE!

In my personal experience I stay the same size just down in width. Right now I am an 8D on both the 1 and the 5. I could be an 8E on the 5 tho. Wish I did buy an E now that I think of it. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads