1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buddy0329

Buddy0329 Well-Known Member

This month's webgems are a trio of Bourbons: Grayson, Lasalle, and University Wingtips.

Ironically I had just reached out to Allison about having a Graysons MTO done along the lines of the shoes posted up on Redclaysoul:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only issue is AE's webgem appears to use a black sole edge ( i think that may be standard for all of the bourbons now):

[​IMG]

Any opinions on the toasted sole edge versus the black? I'm afraid the black will make them look too formal. I'm not sure if the black edge is more jarring to the eyes or adds a nice level of sophistication. I definitely do not like the look of the standard non-webgem bourbon Grayson with black tassels and black side lacing. My intention was to make these casual enough to wear with jeans, chinos, and some light summer wool trousers.

If you think this shoe can't carry it off, I can move on to something else instead.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  2. naspratt

naspratt Well-Known Member

The University webgems are stunning. If only there wasn't so much variation in color for bourbon...

3. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

Couldn't figure out why universities were showing online the last few days yet could not find them on Edmonds til tonight.

4. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

I would sand the sides and then use natural edge dressing...the contrast between the black on the upper welt and the natural sides would look great imho

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  5. devastitis

devastitis Well-Known Member

I was looking at that. The AE's anniversary sale is next month? I'll definitely give the Reston store a call to find out. Thanks for the heads up!

6. bobbyz

bobbyz Well-Known Member

Just got my seconds chocolate dalton's and I'm disappointed that they are substantially darker than I expected them to be. I would put them at borderline black (perhaps why they're seconds?) wondering what a good technique to bring out their brown would be. I'm considering, similar to you, using some lexol conditioner to strip it down a bit before buffing and polishing with AE dark brown polish. Advice appreciated.

7. bl@ster

bl@ster Well-Known Member

My white Neumok is in from the webgem. Here are piccies:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Darkside

Darkside Well-Known Member

Tone on tone with red. Your initial instinct is the best I believe. Going to be an awesome makeup.

1 person likes this.
  9. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Well-Known Member

Beautiful colors and model...very cool...

10. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of the webgem University in bourbon with that dainite sole.

[​IMG]

11. hohneokc

hohneokc Well-Known Member

I would use AE Cleaner / Conditioner (or Lexol is probably very similar). I would go with neutral polish as any brown would only make them darker.

I am wearing mine today. They are definitely dark brown, but mine wouldn't pass for black. I bought mine in a store so I could make sure I was good with the color. They are definitely a lot darker than the bourbons you see out there.

Chris

12. partyof6

partyof6 Well-Known Member

Mike, the manager of the Reston store, is phenomenal to work with. Very knowledgeable and gives great advice. He's also really good at his job, so be careful! [​IMG]. I only went in there to donate some shoes. I ended up walking out with the new Addisons, a belt, leather protector, and some cleaning stuff.

13. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

Chocolate is very dark brown usually, walnut is tan, and bourbon is in between.

14. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

I went to an AE store yesterday to look at a few things in person and try on some shoes. The shaker heights looked off in person. I want a fan. A few of their display shoes could have used a good polish.

However, I really want some moras now!

15. coolarrow

coolarrow Well-Known Member

Went with the Larchmonts today:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Well-Known Member

Have anyone had experience with Hanover?

The 3 eyelets is a bit off. I think 4 eyelets would have been nicer aesthetically.

17. FreedBird

FreedBird Well-Known Member

I just picked up a whole bunch of great shoes yesterday and thought I would share a picture of one of my favorites. It is a Grayson in 8.5 D with blue suede, independence lining, contrast white stitching and JR soles. I think this makes a perfect summer shoe to wear sockless.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. masernaut

masernaut Well-Known Member

Grayson in navy suede? Was that an MTO?

19. cincikid

cincikid Well-Known Member

Based on the mark on the sole it appears to be a second. An MTO that didn't pass a quality check, I presume. Great looking shoe by the way!

20. Dnslater

Dnslater Well-Known Member

I also have the tan Chukkamok's and I used mink oil with similar results. I use them as my business casual bad weather work shoes. They are extremely comfortable with the rubber sole and soft leather, however I find the leather a bit hard to care for, especially when trying to clean. It picks up dark marks which are hard to remove.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.