1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uunngghh

uunngghh Member

$155 was for recraft alone. No shoe trees.

2. bkotsko

bkotsko Well-Known Member

http://issuu.com/allenedmonds/docs/ae_spring_digest_web_lr
    page 47 and 48
    They may not offer recraft with the danite brand, but there are options.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  3. markkohfm

markkohfm Member

[/quote]

I think that for my first quality shoes it's worth it to get the shoes re-crafted. Like you said, this is especially true for shell shoes. I'm not sure I'd ever redraft seconds unless I just loved the shoes or could not possibly get something comparable.[/quote]

There is also the possibility that the model is no longer available.

4. puckbw11

puckbw11 Well-Known Member

I know this is for the MTO thread... but rocking the eagle county boots today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. puckbw11

puckbw11 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Here's the pic, sorry.

8 people like this.
  6. captstatic

captstatic Member

Sporting my suede Neumoks today.

For not having any inner lining, these are very comfortable.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Well-Known Member

Fair point.

A. You don't need to recraft every time you need a resole. In fact, you shouldn't, as there are only a limited number of times you can recraft a shoe, due to the shoe being restretched on the last each time. Periodic heel and sole replacements cost much less, and don't need to be done by AE.

B. Some people like their current shoes and don't want new replacements, due to broken-in fit, patina, or just sentiment.

C. The odds of getting seconds in the shoe you want and that have acceptable defects is much less than 100%.

Not disagreeing with what you say, just offering some color here.

2 people like this.
  8. NWTeal

NWTeal Well-Known Member

Letter C is the reason I would recraft seconds. You also don't know if you can actually get replacements for less than the cost of a recraft all the time. All you really need is the $125 standard package from AE unless you want the bag, polish and trees (which if you need, is a pretty good deal). Most seconds are well north of $200 at retail and even on sale, would cost more than the recraft.

9. AdRock

AdRock Active Member

I achieved the same look on my navy Neumoks with some saddle soap. I tried the same method as you at first, soaking them in Lexol conditioner but I found the Lexol eventually dries out of the leather leaving you with the original color. This picture is about 3 months removed from using the saddle soap, you can see how the color is still nice and rich. Sorry for the poor photo quality I took it quickly using my Nexus 5 camera.

[​IMG]

10. Darkside

Darkside Well-Known Member

Is the Dalton's profile "sleek" enough to wear as a regular shoe in your rotation for a professional environment? I am fairly new to AE and only have a few pairs. The Dalton is available in bourbon and walnut but, I already have a pair of walnut strands and dark brown Long Branch. I really don't need another boot but is the bourbon Dalton at 199 (seconds) too good to pass up?

Also, I have searched the internet, but there seems to be a wide variation between the actual "bourbon" color. Can anyone post some more photos of their bourbon Daltons, if not but just for the rest of us to drool over?

11. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

Yes it is. It's a dress boot. Mine are an 8.5 E and I'd wear them with a suit. If I had to do it again, I'd probably get an 8E or 8D to be honest. They're comfortable but a little on the large side :/

Here's mine again, with jeans and an SC.

[​IMG]

12. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

I ended up selling this pair as I ended up with the wrong size. I think they are still pretty casual, they would work with chinos but anything dressier than that I would suggest the Chocolate Dalton.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. ridethecliche

I disagree. Your laces make them more informal than they need to be. Round laces will lend themselves to being a more formal dress boot.

It also depends on the color of the suit. I probably wouldn't wear them to an interview, but they'd be at home in an office place with a grey suit or such.

14. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

That is true, I tried out the flat laces for a little while in the middle pic. I didn't end up liking them as much as the originals.

15. Darkside

Thanks for the quick replies, gentleman. Again, a disparity of opinions is why this board is so great. Everyone's style is different. These look more walnut to me from this view. Is this walnut or bourbon? Also, they are on the same last as the long branch, so I should try to get the same size, correct? Any outside opinions on Dalton vs. LB sizing?

I am drooling over these photos.Great jeans as well. And where did you get those laces? They change the look of the shoe entirely! Anyway, I am less concerned about the color (I would probably go for bourbon) and more about the last and profile of the shoe with dress pants. I don't want to stand out too much.

16. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

It's on the 1 last which is the same as the LB, Leeds, Dundee and some others, honestly a fantastic last. The laces were just some cheap $1 flat waxed laces from ebay haha. Was kind of going for an Alden look but the laces turned out too fat.

[​IMG]

Found another pic that I had, I do love the Bourbon Dalton and may pick it up again in the future.

[​IMG]

Since selling the Dalton I did find some Alden laces and threw them on my Eagle County boots and love them, I highly suggest them for the guys who bought MTO of the Eagle County.

[​IMG]

17. Darkside

I just realized they have the fifth street boot in black as well. Anyone have experience with these? The Daltons have a large following here but I don't see many of the 5th. In my opinion, the high top balmoral look is quite different. I can't decide whether I love it or hate it.

18. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

I have the 5th Street in brown and I wear them all the time. They are one of my go to dress shoes in the winter.

19. ridethecliche

Yeah, mine are walnut. Oops.

20. devastitis

devastitis Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll have to take a look at those for sure. I've been emailing the Shoebank every so often inquiring about a sale after the February sale ended, and they didn't have a sale.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.