1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Well-Known Member

I've used AE walnut polish on my Strands and it looks great but also make them look quite orange comparing to the original color. I've been using neutral polish in conjunction with the walnut and been happy with the result.

I'm sure many from this thread uses Saphir products on all their shoes including AE as Saphir products are considered superior by many. They do not make "walnut" edge dressing, the recommended edge dressing is chili. I've been using it for all my AE walnut shoes. Don't make my mistake buying the big size, the travel size has the better applicator and should last you a long time

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF574_1_40000000001_-1_

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  2. Roycru

Roycru Well-Known Member

The Shoe Care part of the A-E website suggests using Chili Edge Dressing on Walnut shoes. I use the Chili Edge Dressing on my Walnut shoes. In some cases, the A-E Walnut polish makes some Walnut shoes less tan and more orange. I use Meltonian Saddle (#141) shoe cream and Kiwi Tan shoe polish on my Walnut shoes, but when the tin of Kiwi Tan is used up I am probably going to buy a tin of Lincoln Tan shoe polish instead.

3. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Well-Known Member

I am going through this now. Down 15 lbs to where I'm comfortable weight-wise. I am using insoles .as I transition from 12D to 11.5C Memo to AE: More C widths please!

4. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Well-Known Member

Excellent shell collection.

5. Darkside

Darkside Well-Known Member

Hate to be a jerk but, get a room (or at least a private message).

2 people like this.
  6. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

If you hate to be a jerk then the best thing to do would be to ignore the post you don't like or simply don't say anything at all. Please take the time and hover your mouse over my name and click on "block member" to ignore all of my post.

7. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

What's everyone's take on AE's recrafting services? As much as I love my AEs, I'm not sure if I see a financial incentive of recrafting second-quality calf shoes which can be purchased for around $150 when a standard recraft costs $125. I totally understand when wearers recraft cordovans since they're north of $500 or even first-quality at around $300, but I just don't see the benefits of repairing seconds when I can buy a brand new second quality shoe for a little more than a couple of beers at a bar.

8. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Ha! Fair enough. My apologies for the derailment.

Back on topic, guy in front of me on the plane is wearing black Rutledges to compliment my walnut ones. I asked him what brand of shoes they were (as if I didn't know), and he said "um Allen Edwards, or something like that."

1 person likes this.
  9. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Well-Known Member

I asked the same questions a few weeks back but did not get any responses. Like you said, the numbers don't make sense, you can get seconds with almost or slightly more than the amount of recrafting if you are patient. I'm guessing maybe it's sentimental or if the shoes fit like a glove and there is no point of getting the same ones (but newer) if you are very happy with the ones you have (even though they are seconds)

10. Mean Mr Mustard

Mean Mr Mustard Well-Known Member

Thanks. Yeah, I noticed those pictures on the other thread after I'd already posted -- they did look nice. And after seeing the pictures of the Rothsays in Dublin Cognac a few pages back on this thread, I might try getting the Promontory Points in the same.

11. Mean Mr Mustard

Mean Mr Mustard Well-Known Member

These are the Rothsays I mentioned. They look fantastic. As others commented, a big improvement over the original design.

12. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

I think that for my first quality shoes it's worth it to get the shoes re-crafted. Like you said, this is especially true for shell shoes. I'm not sure I'd ever redraft seconds unless I just loved the shoes or could not possibly get something comparable.

13. mdavis534

mdavis534 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are a couple of pic I took on first wearing. They are very comfortable too.

14. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

These look great. It's a style that I wouldn't have considered before.

15. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Well-Known Member

worn is very well

16. watchidiot

watchidiot Well-Known Member

I know the chukkamok doesn't get a lot of love from this thread due to its errr, hybrid look. It's definitely not for everyone, but it has found its way to my regular rotation. The leather is just buttery soft and the gumlite vibrant sole is so comfortable and it feels like I'm wearing a Tiger Onitsuka.

I was inspired by the blue cronmoks in an earlier post that was bathed in AE leather cleaner and conditioner. I've worked it in the right shoe and it's definitely an improvement.

[​IMG]

Edit: I initially posted AE leether lotion, in fact I used AE leather cleaner and conditioner.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  17. BCer

BCer Well-Known Member

I'm glad to see I inspired someone to do something! But aside from my inspiration, while scrolling down the page, I thought you were showing us two different shoes. What a difference! Amazing how crappy dry, thirsty leather can look.

18. dan'l

dan'l Well-Known Member

I

It's a valid point, but I suppose I want to have mine recrafted since it seems such a waste to throw the entire shoe away when only the sole is worn out.

19. dan'l

dan'l Well-Known Member

I'm sending in my Player's shoes for a recrafting. Unfortunately, AE does not offer Dainite soles as one of the options with the sole conversion, so I'm going with the "Toby mini-lug" rubber soles. There is a $10 surcharge for the sole conversion, making the grand total $135. I think B. Nelson includes shoe trees with their resoling, so I'd say the price is roughly the same.

20. watchidiot

watchidiot Well-Known Member

What's interesting is I keep these shoes conditioned yung AE leather lotion (as per AE SA advice) but they only appear nourished only for a short while after application. After a day they are back to the light dry looking tan leather (that's how they looked new).

But with the AE leather cleaner and conditioner looks like the darker color will stay and they definitely look more nourished.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.