1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GooseG

GooseG Well-Known Member

I was weary of buying any of their shoes for a while due to such shitty photography. I mean, just look at the way a brown shell Strand looks!

They're not the only guilty brand/online vendor, but they need to be cognizant that a good photo can sway somebody on a purchase of hundreds of dollars.

2. GooseG

GooseG Well-Known Member

I wore mine today as well...talk about a freaking steal for a solid PTB!

I Reno'd mine with similar results. However, the right shoe was abrading my pinky toe. Further inspection found that there was a slight rough spot on the inside. I hit it with a fingernail and some fine grit sandpaper, so hopefully that will remedy the issue.

The 511 last is a really great fit on my feet though.

3. bgp001

bgp001 Well-Known Member

The AE walnut polish is darker than their shoes in most cases. When I use their polish on my walnut BB Fifth Aves, the creases are lighter in color than the rest of the shoe due to the darkening effect of the polish. The effect is less noticeable on my Sanfords, which are a darker shade of walnut so YMMV.

4. hohneokc

hohneokc Well-Known Member

I have a chance to get some first quality brand new Dalton boots in the dark chocolate calf at half price. I have never had this type of boot - I have the Cascade but that is much less formal. So I'm not sure how to wear a "dress" wingtip boot.

Please show me some examples of your Dark Chocolate (or any color) Dalton boots to convince me to pull the trigger.

Thanks
    Chris

5. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

I find it so odd because all of the photos they put out via the email marketing are beautiful and a much better representation of the shoes. I do not understand why they don't stick to photos like that for the website.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

This might be very helpful. It's honestly a very versatile boot and a beautiful color, you will love them if you end up picking them up.

http://tsbmen.com/6153/1-piece5-ways-allen-edmonds-wingtip-brogue-boots/

7. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

8. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

I think it was a little misleading as the Strand, Jefferson and Park Aves are just the brown versions in the pic. I don't think actual "chocolate" versions were made for the promo, more so just showcasing brown shoes for Valentines.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  9. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

10. costlysignal

costlysignal Member

Former IAC camper checking in. Awesome to see another corduroy-wearer in the wild. Interlochen is a great place. Hadn't thought about Joe Maddy in a long time. How'd you like IAA?

11. peppercorn78

Too bad . :(

BTW maiden voyage at the SLC airport for Rutledges. Love this shoe. Very soft and very light. Super easy to walk in.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. peppercorn78

When were you there? I was at the Arts Camp (jazz division) in 97.

I think that place scared me off of blue corduroys for life ;)

13. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Well-Known Member

It was you!!

I'm the opposite, prefer the chocolate but would've settled for walnut (which they were of course out of). After a lot if deliberation, I decided to gamble on the 9EEE. We'll see how that turns out.

14. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

It was the time of my life. I went to the camp in the summer and auditioned and enrolled at IAA for my senior year of school. Interlochen still holds a large place in my heart. The caliber of music from the teenagers there is something I will never forget. Even semi-professional concert bands don't compare. It was an incredible time in my life where dreams were born.

15. costlysignal

costlysignal Member

So true. When I was 11 or 12, there was this kid Jared in our division. He played cello. 60 Minutes came to Interlochen to profile the place as part of a story. Yo Yo Ma came too. Yo Yo Ma and Jared played cello together on national TV.* And it was glorious. I still remember it all these years later. Absolutely incredible musicians and artists. I was privileged just to be in their presence.

* Of course, if it had aired over the summer, I wouldn't have been able to watch it on TV thanks to the no-TV rule, but 60 Minutes didn't broadcast it for a few months. Although there was that one Brazilian dude who smuggled in a TV to watch the World Cup...

16. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

17. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Well-Known Member

18. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

I was at the camp the summer of 98. I graduated High School in 1999. I played in one of the jazz groups when I was there and then I played drums in the Big Band at IAA the entire year that I was there.

I still have my red sweater in storage somewhere.

19. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

I'm friends with a lot of alumni from era on Facebook. I'm amazed at what some of them are doing. It's been almost 15 years and some star in movies and sitcoms while many are in full time music with great careers.

20. BCer

BCer Well-Known Member

Seems this thread has been hacked by a musician alumni Facebook group?

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.