1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Septimus

Septimus Well-Known Member

Got my two pairs of Elgins today.  I like the color of the tan saddle leather.  And I like the overall look of the shoe.  The leather is a bit stiff and (I-don't-want-to-say-plasticy-but) smooth, but I think it will soften up a bit.

As for sizing on the Elgins, I ended up going with my normal 5-last size (10 D).  The 9.5 D pair that I also bought kind of fit, but was a bit snug even with thin socks.  The 10 D pair fit well with both thin and thick socks, with a "V" of about 1/3 to 3/4 an inch.  I expect the leather will soften up and the insole will compress a bit, but I think they should still fit well, and maybe better.

I will be returning the 9.5 D pair. (Incidentally, that medallion on one of the 9.5 D shoes was off-center.  though that is not an issue for me, I may indicate it on my return slip.)  

Now, I'm thinking about whether to put topy soles on them.  Any thoughts?  I intend to use them primarily as casual shoes, but with the double sole, I don't want the ropy to make the sole too thick. Also, should I wear them for a while first, to break in the double sole or get the topy put on before wearing them in?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Both pair of Elgins will likely go back. The 11D fit best but there was still some heal slippage. The 10.5D weren't much of a better fit... Confused. But if you take a careful look at the shoes, you can see one has a plasticy sheen that others have mentioned. Strange that only one pair had it. Also the split reverse welt is much higher up on both pairs, not like my others with the same type of welt.

[​IMG]

11.5D Players in snuff suede, were too big... I'm an 11D on the 5 last . I love the color(my wife doesn't) but I'm not a fan of the style. Will wait patiently for my snuff suede neumoks to arrive, they will likely be keepers.

If anyone was looking for either of these shoes, let me know and I will certainly sell them to you before sending them back to AE next week.

3. AIK1891

AIK1891 Active Member

I had two pair of too small down to the UPS store this morning to go back: Sapienza's that were too small but had to try to confirm size for a MTO, and the McGraw suede that my foot just wouldn't fit into (no slide from socks on suede v. on leather, so my high instep just wouldn't make it). But I'm at least replacing the McGraw's with a Players in the same Dark Chocolate suede, so I'll still have the shade in my rotation. That certainly cut down the number of AE shipping boxes I had on hand (though I'm still going to have to buy a box to pack/ship two Daltons back)

4. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

My SA at the Ohio outlet called me yesterday and said she had a pair of "flawless" shell leeds that she just got in and they were my size. She told me I could have them at the $299 price so I jumped on them. Should be here next week.

1 person likes this.
  5. sean anon

sean anon Well-Known Member

Has anyone had luck using polish/ cream to darken walnut AEs? I am debating trying this, taking them to a cobbler or selling my shoes

I am worried the color really won't take in the leather and creases would still show an uneven color

6. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

7. halfnhalfnhalf

Just curious . . . why do you want to darken them?

8. Darkside

Darkside Well-Known Member

Awesome with the selvedge. Where are the jeans from?

9. sean anon

They are Player's. I like the style and fit but find I don't wear them much because they are a bit flashy in the office for my taste and I don't wear light shoes at night. Really what I dislike is the orange undertones as I have tan suede shoes I love. I prefer coherent outfits and not ones where people look at my shoes or bright socks. The only time I really like rocking them is daytime parties.

If they had these in bourbon I'd be happier and wear them more. I was thinking about taking dark brown shoe cream to them.

10. halfnhalfnhalf

11. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

Unbranded 201 I picked up on sale from Urban Outfitters, on my second pair after blowing out the first around the one year mark.

I have had Roy denim, Samurai, Kicking Mule, PBJ and a handful of other brands of selvedge and the Unbranded are one of my favs. I would only put the Roy and my Samurai 710s (easily first on that list) above them. They honestly cannot be beat at that price and fit me very well. I do want to try something from Gustin at some point, seems they might be similar but offer some interesting denim for the price points.

12. halfnhalfnhalf

I took out all my non-black AE shell and had an epic VSC + TLC session today, so I thought a partial family portrait might be in order . . . .

[​IMG]

I know the light ain't great, but what are you gonna do. Anyhow, clockwise beginning at the top:

walnut Dalton
    brown Norwich
    walnut Strand
    burgundy Cambridge
    brown Strand
    cappuccino Dundee
    burgundy MacNeil
    burgundy Dundee
    burgundy Leeds

I just can't get the Cambridges to pop, but the rest are shaping up pretty well in person. At some point I'll try the VSC on my black shell, but I have some calf I want to give it a shot on first - plus I'm sure it'll take at least a week or two for my arm to come back to life.

2 people like this.
  13. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

Wow. Impressive list. Shocked to hear you rate unbranded's so high compared to some others. I have never had a great experience when trying the unbranded's but will give them another shot. Gustin is a step above in denim quality but their fits are a bit roomier. Their slim fit fits me closer to a straight fit than a tapered.

14. sean anon

I've read that. I'm skeptical that the finishing is the same as just adding shoe polish

15. naspratt

naspratt Well-Known Member

An SA told me just that: they start with walnut and literally burn polish into it to get the bourbon color.

*Edit* - not sure if I'd recommend trying to burn polish in. But I'd love to see the results if anyone wants to give it a whirl!

16. NWTeal

NWTeal Well-Known Member

I saw these in the store today and the display model in Walnut had wheeled edges. The inconsistency is weird.

17. PeterL

PeterL Well-Known Member

Hi, I am new to this thread. Are there a Allen Edmonds MTO thread? I am interested in buying a pair of light brown shell longwings with lighter welt and edge. Thanks in advance

18. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

There is not a specific MTO thread, no. Just this thread. Sorry to say, but AE is not offering any light brown shell at the moment and probably for a while.

19. NWTeal

NWTeal Well-Known Member

Not a lot of talk about the AE clothing on here. Obviously, they aren't as exciting as their shoes. However I picked up this scarf for just $24 at AE today. Made in Scotland, 100% merino wool. Not bad.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Well-Known Member

Wore my freshly topy'ed Daltons today; the soles' toes were getting eaten up pretty quickly, but it's like they're back to brand new on the bottom, and footing is absolute when moving on snow/wet ground... I'll see people just staring t the boots all the time.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Probably my second favorite shoe.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.