1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chris45

chris45 Well-Known Member

Just got some Long Branch's in (see couple posts back) .. how are you liking yours since you applied the HDLP? Did they continue to lighten any?

I'm really looking to HDLP mine so they can handle more abuse... any other suggestions/tips?

2. tsekh

tsekh Well-Known Member

Paste wax is the way to go. I have a pair of brown Dundee in shell. It came out of the box with thick chunk of unknown product on it. A damp microfiber cloth is very useful in removing these unwanted product. VSC helps removing these products and treating the leather as well, but I would start with just a damp cloth. AE and Saphir cordovan cream are both very good adding some color the leather (or even out the color, shells often have some uneven color spots) and introduce some shine. In fact I find AE cordovan cream works better than Saphir's, although AE cordovan cream smells weird... But they can never provide the kind of shine that paste wax can produce. So, step by step, I'd do the following (1) Wipe down (a few times) with a damp microfiber cloth to remove unwanted product (2) Repeat (1) with VSC especially if (1) makes the leather look a bit dry (3) Brush heavily in between each iteration of (1) and (2). (4) Apply a thin layer of AE or Saphir cordovan cream to the whole shoe, brush, buff. (5) Apply a layer or two of paste wax to the cap toe and heel to achieve more shine I was polishing a pair of calf leather shoes together with my shell Dundee yesterday. And I noticed that one needs a lot less wax to achieve mirror shine with shell.

2 people like this.
  3. LeviMay

LeviMay Well-Known Member

Full quote for awesomeness. Nice order!

That dublin is beautiful. It looks like a Red Wing or Wolverine boot (but considerably more elegant).

Congratulations!

1 person likes this.
  4. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Well-Known Member

they got dark... And have stayed that way. Don't polish up as nice... I think the lightening is going to happen over a much longer period than I expected. They are like tanks now,though... I was tipping around in the elements until the HDLP, but now snow and salt just fall off or wipe away! :)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. LeviMay

LeviMay Well-Known Member

Just received the invoice for my MTO MacNeils! Hoping they get here soon!

6. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Well-Known Member

+1 to your last sentence;again, I was just trying to get an even shine on both toes. Not complaining, mind you, because I love, LOVE the shoes... What color paste wax are you going with... Neutral or the color of the shell? And thanks for your interpretation on your process!

7. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

Those eagle county MTO's look great. Those boots look like they'd work pretty well in a slightly more formal ensemble as well. Great pick up!

8. tsekh

tsekh Well-Known Member

I use wax that matches the color of the shell. I use Alden paste wax (available in black, brown, color 8, tan) mostly because I already own them and they are cheap. Some people said that Alden wax are just rebranded Kiwi, not sure if that's true but I've never heard bad thing about Kiwi wax. Many have also commented that Saphir paste wax is superior... I have no experience with them. I guess I will give them a try in the (very distance) future when I use up my current stock.

9. rc121

rc121 Well-Known Member

I agree, I've been seriously debating a Galway-esque MTO of the Eagle County with a leather/suede shaft combo. I'm not really a boot guy and dont have the opportunity to wear them often anyways, so that's been holding me back.

10. watchidiot

watchidiot Well-Known Member

And another eagle has landed! Great looking shoe. If you don't mind me asking when did you place the order for this bad boy? I ordered mine last Dec 5 but I've been told it will be a couple of more weeks before it's finished (failed inspection).

Is the an Dublin the same as the tan saddle waxy leather of the Elgin? I asked that the Elgin leather be used on my EC and I'm hoping its a but lighter than the Dublin.

11. jguyette

jguyette Well-Known Member

Thanks!
    I initially contacted Allison on 12/3, and finalized details on 12/30, which is when she sent my invoice.
    The leather was the Tan Dublin, from the Tan Rothsay. It doesn't appear to be the same as what they use on the Elgin.

And another eagle has landed! Great looking shoe. If you don't mind me asking when did you place the order for this bad boy? I ordered mine last Dec 5 but I've been told it will be a couple of more weeks before it's finished (failed inspection).

Is the an Dublin the same as the tan saddle waxy leather of the Elgin? I asked that the Elgin leather be used on my EC and I'm hoping its a but lighter than the Dublin.[/quote]

12. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Well-Known Member

Cool. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong that I can find then.

13. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Well-Known Member

Interesting. I guess each may vary slightly.

I definitely hear what you're saying. I put them on again and definitely like them and with certain outfits, like the more substantial look. I'm not very tall and don't have large feet so the sleeker toe of the Summit Ave feels right on me.

14. anrobit

anrobit Well-Known Member

Rare shell updates from Boston, round two:

There's a pair of 8.5E cappuccino shell dundee's sitting in the Newbury AE store. Somebody wear those please

1 person likes this.
  15. EEWithoutStyle

EEWithoutStyle Well-Known Member

Damnit, if only it were a size 8.

16. Jmm722

Jmm722 Well-Known Member

I just started my professional shoe collection, I wear charcoal or navy suits everyday to work, fairly conservative.
    So far: park ave black; walnut strands.

What should I get next? I'm thinking brown or merlot.
    I'm not sure about the shoe though, thoughts?

17. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

I'd recommend merlot McAllisters or dark brown Jeffersons.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  18. pudman43

pudman43 Well-Known Member

Welcome! I'd strongly suggest checking out the McAllister in merlot. J

19. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Well-Known Member

I just received the invoice for my snuff suede cliftons with red danite sole summer is upon us.

20. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

How do you keep coming by such good information? You must have a Boston connect or something. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.