1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Septimus

Septimus Well-Known Member

I believe the word further up the thread was that Allison does not honor clearance prices when ordering an MTO any longer. I'm not sure if that applies to sale prices or not, but I believe both the Stewart and the Elgin are on clearance, so probably no discount price for an MTO.

That being said, it doesn't hurt to ask - I don't think it has been established what price actually applies to an MTO of a shoe that is on clearance.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  2. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Well-Known Member

She told me she's no longer able to honor clearance prices for MTO's, but can honor sale prices such as prices during the Rediscover America sale. I'm pretty sure the Stewart and Elgin are on clearance thus the pricing doesn't apply to MTO.

3. cincikid

cincikid Well-Known Member

Thanks, guys. This is what I expected. It would be too good to be true.

4. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Well-Known Member

What about any of these? You can always double down on a shoe you like in a different color (Strand, Mcallister)...
    [​IMG]
    or go Larchmont if you're looking for an LWB (not in your repertoire), or more versatility...I like mine, and they're not straight business/dress/formal:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Bonkers in bourbon.

1 person likes this.
  5. fourspin

fourspin Well-Known Member

Those Larchmonts are the hawtness!

6. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Standard chili makeup w dainite sole instead of v tread.

Nothing too creative this time.

7. Shawl Lapel

Shawl Lapel Well-Known Member

I had no idea what was meant by pull-up leather. This video gives a good explanation, in case anyone else was curious.

8. watchidiot

watchidiot Well-Known Member

The Elgins are back! At clearance price at that. Too bad AE caught up on the clearance pricing for MTOs.

That said the standard Elgins at $197 is still a very good deal and one I probably won't be able to resist.

What's the fit of the Elgin like compared to the Strand? I know they're on the same last and use probably the same pattern. But I read somewhere that the McTavish fits differently from the McAllister and I just want to know if the Elgin would have the similar fit "issue". I wear an 8.5D on the Strand.

On to other news...MTO Rothsays have shipped!

Thanks!

9. Septimus

Septimus Well-Known Member

I also want some insights on the Elgin fit. How does it compare to the non-rough-collection 5-last shoes (where I wear a 10D, usually)? My Norwiches (also 5-last rough collection) are 10D and feel a bit roomy, but can I expect that to be less the case with the Elgin since the Elgin is a balmoral, whereas the Norwich is a monkstrap?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  10. ElDave

ElDave Well-Known Member

Dang, wish I had seen that!

11. DNSamurai

DNSamurai Well-Known Member

PSA:

GRAND OPENING SALE
    Save 15% Storewide on ALL Allen Edmonds branded products
    at the Allen Edmonds store located at CityCenterDC in Washington, DC
    now through 3/2/14.

Shop the Newest Allen Edmonds store at:
    CityCenterDC
    1071 H Street NW (Between 10th St and 11th St)
    Washington, DC 20001
    t 202-842-5163
    e washington65@allenedmonds.com

Hours:
    Mon-Sat 10am-8pm & Sun 11am-6pm

12. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Well-Known Member

My local store PMed Nordstrom during Nordy's Men's Sale.

1 person likes this.
  13. tampatravel

tampatravel Well-Known Member

I happen to own both of these shoes the Strand and the Elgin. The Elgin certainly does fit a little bigger. I wear a 12 E in a Strand and a 12 D in the Elgin. The storm welt on the Elgin makes it even look wider besides fit wider. Is it a HUGE difference? No way? Could I get away with a 12D in a Strand, probably but they'd be really tight unless I wore super thin socks. IF you're worried about the Elgin fitting too big, go with the Brooks Brothers version - that has the PORON insole and tends to run a little smaller than the AE Elgin. I hope this helps. The Elgin was the very first AE shoe I bought and it's a work horse - it looks as good with jeans as khakis and wool dress pants. The shoe looks awesome with the occasional colored lace too...if you dare...

14. 7_rocket

7_rocket Well-Known Member

I'm a 8D in strands and fifth avenue. From what I'm reading I should size down half a size for the elgin and mctavish since they're both in the rough collection

15. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Oooh. Wonder if they'll take phone orders from out of town. ;)

16. Olifter

Olifter Well-Known Member

I have the walnut Manistee and it goes well with my walnut Strands. Ended up buying three more, burnished brown, burnished merlot and black.

17. wonsmithr8

wonsmithr8 Well-Known Member

Haha seriously!

18. tampatravel

tampatravel Well-Known Member

I'm a weirdo I suppose and have a 12D in the Park Ave and a 12E on the Strand. The PA fits me snug...the Elgin in the12D fits perfect.

19. soundsgood

soundsgood Well-Known Member

whats the point of the carlyle? i'm debating about buying a pair to wear very casually with jeans/buttonup/blazer

20. NWTeal

NWTeal Well-Known Member

Since it's a Plain toe Balmoral, I'd say it's about as formal as it gets, except for the walnut ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.