1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Pastor, do a black shell Harrison. It is an a awesome shoe and the black shell is amazing on them.

I think we think too much alike, since we both also have Cap Jeffersons.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Mike

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  2. NWTeal

NWTeal Well-Known Member

Yes, I believe the Rutledge is an adelaide. I just picked up a pair, but the defect is a bump in the cap toe and an indent on the other. These are probably going back. Maybe I'll make a trip out to long Island to the actual store.

3. NWTeal

NWTeal Well-Known Member

Just got my shell Norwich. I got my brannock size like my other 2 last shoes. The heel is a little loose but the toe box feels great. My calf ones are a little tight in the toe box, but she'll is a better fit. I'm a 9D on the brannock but a 8.5E on the 5 last. 9D on the 3 and 1 last. Hope that helps!

4. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

I love the Rutledge as well, but fear that it will probably be one of those shoes I like the look of but are awkward on me.

-Mike

5. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

I would return both of those personally.

6. bgp001

bgp001 Well-Known Member

I just received mine, as mentioned before, they are made in the Philippines...

I was very disappointed in the quality of them actually. They're pretty much the same kind of gloves you find at Wilsons and the like; mine are going back. If you must have them, Amazon has the exact same gloves for $27.

http://www.amazon.com/UR-Leather-Cashmere-Glove-Black/dp/B008TMQ2MG

7. bl@ster

bl@ster Well-Known Member

Question for you all: If I'm ordering an MTO shoe and I want to replicate the edge dressing color and welt color from these Walnut Strands, what would I tell Alllison I wanted? If I say "Walnut welt" will it be transparent like the pic below?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  8. jonesle7

jonesle7 Active Member

Try saying "I want to replicate the edge dressing color and welt color from the Walnut Strands."

1 person likes this.
  9. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Well-Known Member

HDLP came in; jumped right on my Long Branches, in prep for snow today. Shoes are darker, still take some shine, and hopefully will continue to lighten. Thank you styleforum for the knowledge.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Well-Known Member

Yes, the Rutledge is an Adelaide Brogue. An Adelaide is distinctive in the way the facings are a separate piece of leather that is distinct from the vamp and the quarters. On a "traditional" (if you want to call it that) Oxford, the facings are made from the same piece of leather as the quarters, as seen in the Park Avenue.

See the difference between the Rutledge and the Park Avenue:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

For some reason, I generaly think of the Rutledge as more of a captoe than an adelaide. When I think adelaide, I think a pair of Strands without the medallion on the toe, like Levi May's MTO. Or something like below from another maker. You may be right, though, that a Rutledge can be considered an adelaide as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. watchidiot

watchidiot Well-Known Member

There's currently a pre owned 8.5d brown macneil shell available at that online auction website. Appears to me that the soles already need replacement and the right shoe eyelets are misaligned. Other than that the upper looks ok. With a little Reno and elbow grease could probably still give it a good shine. Looks like a bargain at the current bid. But I've never bought seconds, more so used shoes just wanted to ask the forum members what you think.
    [​IMG]
    From eBay

13. MoneyWellSpent

That is a defect in the sense that it is in an undesirable location, and it is made from a piece of leather that isn't preferable. However, I don't think that is a "man made" defect, such as stretched leather from lasting. It looks like striations or wrinkles due to fatty deposits from before the hide was turned into leather. I'm not a leather expert, but that is what it looks like to me. I wouldn't want to keep them either. Ideally those would have been discovered before the leather was selected and cut, but it most likely got far more pronounced after it was lasted.

14. MoneyWellSpent

Adelaide is more of an "anatomical" term for how the leather pieces are assembled, to create a traditional style that is independent of other ornamentation. The Strand simply has an additional piece of brogued leather stitched on top of the quarters to create a heavier appearance. Adelaides have to have a separate piece of leather to be used for the facings, independent of the vamp and quarters, and it is stitched underneath the vamp:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
    3 people like this.
  15. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

^^ @MoneyWellSpent I would love to have just half of your shoe knowledge someday...

1 person likes this.
  16. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

So the Vernon would be considered an Adelaide, correct?

[​IMG]

17. MoneyWellSpent

That's correct!

18. MoneyWellSpent

Thank you sir. I do enjoy reading and researching!

19. NWTeal

NWTeal Well-Known Member

You're the man MWS. Thanks for clarifying. [​IMG]

20. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

Some of the recent postings show some really elegant last. Are they from Carmina, CJ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.