1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

Just ordered a pair of Banchory Longwing From Nordstrom Rack for $137. last pair so curious to see what they look like. Hopefully will not be returning them.

2. Jmm722

Jmm722 Well-Known Member

As opposed to using my psychic powers? They sent me the sales list last month. They do know well ahead of time and will tell you.

3. LeviMay

LeviMay Well-Known Member

So after unintentionally sounding like a doosh when we were discussing getting AEs at a discount a few pages back, here are my latest acquisitions...

Burgundy McAllisters. $70 with AE trees:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Well-Known Member

Anyone with the Brooks Bros. version of 5-last shoes care to comment on something here? When the shoes were new, did you experience a sensation of your foot sitting higher in the shoe due to the Poron insole, and as a result, slight heel slippage compared to the normal AE shoes? This is precisely what I'm experiencing with my new Brooks PAs that I got during the current sale. They fit and feel fine, but there is slight heel slippage. I'm wondering if this will go away as the shoes break in. I'm thinking it will, since a) the soles will soften up and become more flexible, and b) the Poron insoles will conform to my feet, and my feet will sink in a bit. At least in theory.

Any thoughts?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  5. Flyswatter

Very nice! May I ask how you acquired them at such a great price?

6. Flyswatter

Wow, those look great! Love the color and the contrasting laces. And maybe I'm just a blind idiot (or I've had one too many rum and cokes tonight), but I don't see the difference between these and Strands. Also, a quick Google search shows Rush Streets available on the AE website as well as Sherman Bros. for $325, as compared to the current retail price of $365 for Strands. At any rate, I'm definitely interested in getting a pair.

7. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Congrats! Those are very nice shoes and a crazy price.

-Mike

8. bgp001

bgp001 Well-Known Member

I have a couple pairs of BB Fifth Aves, and yes, I do get some slippage. I've had both for over 6 months now, it has not gotten better but it doesn't bother me much. No slippage on my Ridgeways or Park Aves (both 5 last).

9. bl@ster

bl@ster Well-Known Member

What the?! I think the Carlyle just lost its wheeled edge! A real bummer because I loved this feature. Boooo!!!

From the front page:

[​IMG]

And from the shoe's listing with newly updated photo:

[​IMG]

:(

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  10. Subutai

Subutai Well-Known Member

Hey guys,
    below are pics of my latest MTO. I was looking to create a very casual, supremely comfortable shoe for casual weekend wear. These are essentially Leeds with distressed olive leather with a chili welt and harrier rubber sole:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

compared to Alden's natty cxl barrie last, just for fun:
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  11. wonsmithr8

wonsmithr8 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the rush street and strands are the same thing except the former is the cxl version and I love cxl

12. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

That would be a big bummer, I really liked he wheeled edge on those. Guess you need to MTO them.

13. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Very nice, those are some casual shoes. Interesting how the distressed leather looks like your CXL. Wonder how they'll wear. -Mike

14. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

Well done! I'm generally not a fan of the Harrier sole but it looks just right on that makeup. How long ago did you order them?

15. feyy

feyy Well-Known Member

For my first MTO I've been planning to recreate the alden 9501 using the leeds/gridiron pattern. I'm not well versed in AE's terminology though. Would you have an idea of what AE edging would be most similar? I'd send Allison a picture of the alden, but i'm worried if that's too tacky LOL

Leeds
    on tone stitching
    split reverse storm welt
    natural welt, w/ beige stitching?
    double leather soles
    "toasted" edging? i don't know what name refers to which of their edging colors. i guess if anything natural edging would do.

16. Subutai

Subutai Well-Known Member

Thank you gentlemen! I too am looking forward to seeing how they break in. Unlike the Neumoks, I did opt to have these lined, but off the bat they are amazingly light and comfortable. I ordered them back in mid-Nov; initially I requested no piping, but Allison said they fell apart, so they had to be remade.

FWIW I've definitely sent Allison a picture of Alden's before :) I felt odd, but she didn't seem to mind and is still very friendly and helpful. That said, "toasted" or "chili" edge is the same and seems to be closest to Alden's "antique" edge. I, and others here, use AE's chili edge dressing on Alden's antiqued edges. Hope that helps! Also, I think AE just calls it "split reverse welt" without the "storm."

17. chris45

chris45 Well-Known Member

@halfnhalfnhalf FYI, my birthday is in March so if you are itching to help clear shoes from the AE factory/stores, I'll be here [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. bkotsko

bkotsko Well-Known Member

I use Neutral on the antique edge, so I don't darken it at all.

19. Churchill W

Churchill W Well-Known Member

This looks similar to what happens to shell when it drys out.

20. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

Blue Chukkamoks on a dreary day . . .

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.