• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tietherope

Reaction score
I just gave payment info for my Snuff Suede Neumoks ordered at the Nordstrom anniversary sale price with free shipping. Should have them up here in Canada in about a week.

Add that to my two pairs of Saunders last week and the Elgin and McTavish the week before, I'm up to 7 pairs since my first purchase of Strands and McAllister in June. I need to stop for at least 6 months or more, but the webgem Jefferson does look really nice. Two ways to look at it - 1. With 7 pairs shell would be a good change/difference 2. I will regret buying the previous 5 shoes in calf (2 are suede).

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

I just gave payment info for my Snuff Suede Neumoks ordered at the Nordstrom anniversary sale price with free shipping. Should have them up here in Canada in about a week. 

Add that to my two pairs of Saunders last week and the Elgin and McTavish the week before, I'm up to 7 pairs since my first purchase of Strands and McAllister in June. I need to stop for at least 6 months or more, but the webgem Jefferson does look really nice. Two ways to look at it - 1. With 7 pairs shell would be a good change/difference 2. I will regret buying the previous 5 shoes in calf (2 are suede).

Scenario 2 is definite! Be careful with shell!

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only pic I have of real life cappuccino shell.

Thanks tifosi!

Incidentally, I sent my email to Mr. Grangaard last night (after drooling over Mr. K's MTO all afternoon). I received a call from AE a few minutes ago and placed the order. I am astounded at how quick and painless the process was.

I went with Cappuccino shell Leeds, chili welt, light brown edge trim & double butyl sole. I originally wanted dark brown shell and light brown edge trim but AE typically mates a dark welt & edge trim to dark brown shell. Cappuccino OTOH is often made with a chili welt and light brown edge trim. I thought I'd make it as simple as possible for the factory so I went with cappuccino.

It's so refreshing to deal with a company so customer service focused. I own more Alden shoes than AE but I sure wish Alden could offer the same level of customer service. Fortunately, the Leeds' #1 last fits me damn near perfectly. I wish I could get a Macneil on the #1 last.

My shell AE's for reference:

I had to go up a 1/2 size in the Macneil. I like them but the fit is less than perfect. I will likely go with the Alden LWB in color 8 one of these days as the Barrie is a much better match for my feet than the Macneil's #7 last. For now, a thin leather insole does the trick.

Thanks to Mr. K. for the inspiration and tifosi for the MTO inside info. Much appreciated.

Last edited:

JermynStreet

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. How does cappuccino differ from dark brown shell? Anybody have a side by side comparison? I just bought the Patriot in dark brown shell (shipping from shoebank). I'm now wondering which AE shell is closer to Alden Cigar, cappuccino or dark brown.In terms of edge trim, I'd like to replicate this shade. I'm thinking that light brown is pretty close. Natural was too light, IIRC. Sadly, I just returned the above Alden PTB to TSM for refund. Is this shine for real?? I have never seem a sheen like that on cordovan. Is this just plain Mac method?

tsekh

Reaction score

I'm pretty sure the brown shell of the webgem is basically always available. When you get into colors like walnut and cappuccino is when you run into trouble.

Cambridge was not available in brown shell before the webgem, only in black or burgundy. No idea why, as brown shell has always been available for Dundee and Strand. I suppose you can still pay an additional MTO fee to get them in brown shell (or take the styleforum's 'contact the CEO' route to waive the MTO fee). But the webgem price is still $50 cheaper than what AE typically asks for shell shoes.

I'm debating between Cambridge or Jefferson in brown shell... will probably for for the Jefferson for a slightly 'cleaner' look. Anyone owns both Cambridge/McAllister and Jefferson?

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Thanks tifosi!

Incidentally, I sent my email to Mr. Grangaard last night (after drooling over Mr. K's MTO all afternoon). I received a call from AE a few minutes ago and placed the order. I am astounded at how quick and painless the process was.

I went with Cappuccino shell Leeds, chili welt, light brown edge trim & double butyl sole. I originally wanted dark brown shell and light brown edge trim but AE typically mates a dark welt & edge trim to dark brown shell. Cappuccino OTOH is often made with a chili welt and light brown edge trim. I thought I'd make it as simple as possible for the factory so I went with cappuccino.

It's so refreshing to deal with a company so customer service focused. I own more Alden shoes than AE but I sure wish Alden could offer the same level of customer service. Fortunately, the Leeds' #1 last fits me damn near perfectly. I wish I could get a Macneil on the #1 last.

My shell AE's for reference:

Incredible pictures and shine on those shoes! We have the exact Leeds makeup besides the soles. I did the same makeup for the Dundees as well. I found a pic of an advert when cappuccino shell was offered as a webgem and asked for that same makeup. I figured if that is what AE thought looked good...haha. Actually it is was what I wanted anyway.

I really need to work on the shine on my Cambridge after seeinbg these pics!

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Cambridge was not available in brown shell before the webgem, only in black or burgundy. No idea why, as brown shell has always been available for Dundee and Strand. I suppose you can still pay an additional MTO fee to get them in brown shell (or take the styleforum's 'contact the CEO' route to waive the MTO fee). But the webgem price is still $50 cheaper than what AE typically asks for shell shoes.

I'm debating between Cambridge or Jefferson in brown shell... will probably for for the Jefferson for a slightly 'cleaner' look. Anyone owns both Cambridge/McAllister and Jefferson?

Yes, correct. I didn't mean available on the Cambridge, I just meant that 'brown' shell is readily available.
I asked Allison if there was an ending date on the CEO's offer and she did not know of one. Keep those MTO orders coming while we can!

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No product, just Mac method (a camera with decent glass and good light doesn't hurt much either). I also buff with microfiber cloth after brushing. And lastly, I think the brush plays a significant role in my results. It is a large, 8" Florsheim horsehair, and has been in regular use for almost 20 yrs. I bought it the year I graduated college (94) with my first dress shoes (Made in USA J&M cap toes). It's so soft and does a wonderful job.

Alden does a good job with shell. For comparison, this is shell with a bit of wax:

I didn't keep the shine on the shell boots. I intentionally renovateur'd them to get rid of it. It was an experiment that I eventuall decided against.

Last edited:

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Incredible pictures and shine on those shoes! We have the exact Leeds makeup besides the soles. I did the same makeup for the Dundees as well. I found a pic of an advert when cappuccino shell was offered as a webgem and asked for that same makeup. I figured if that is what AE thought looked good...haha. Actually it is was what I wanted anyway.

I really need to work on the shine on my Cambridge after seeinbg these pics!

Thanks for the kind words! I know what you mean about what specs AE generally pairs together. I could tell the individual with whom I was speaking was not 100% certain that dark brown shell & light brown edge trim would look right as it's not how they are generally spec'd. However, she indicated that the Cappuccino came with the specs I wanted so I made it easy and went with her recommendation. I think both would look fine as dark brown shell and cappuccino shell aren't that far apart.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

No product, just Mac method (a camera with decent glass and good light doesn't hurt much either). I also buff with microfiber cloth after brushing. And lastly, I think the brush plays a significant role in my results. It is a large, 8" Florsheim horsehair, and has been in regular use for almost 20 yrs. I bought it the year I graduated college (94) with my first dress shoes (Made in USA J&M cap toes). It's so soft and does a wonderful job. Alden does a good job with shell. For comparison, this is shell with a bit of wax:
I didn't keep the shine on the shell boots. I intentionally renovateur'd them to get rid of it. It was an experiment that I eventuall decided against.
My Cambridge have this splotchy appearance to them, still. I guess I am slowly removing the factory polish everytime I Mac them? I am afraid to outright strip them. I guess I'll just keep Mac'ing them till they look like Patrick's! When I bought them...
After a couple Macs...

Last edited:

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Alden does a good job with shell. For comparison, this is shell with a bit of wax:
It never fails. Every time patrick_b posts photos:
  • My brain melts.
  • I kind of want to cry.
  • I have this barely-controllable urge to run home and brush my shell cordovan shoes until my arms fall off.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Received my invoice from the Grangaard/StyleForum MTO offer (aka GSFMTO) and the Customer Assistance Center rep indicated that a custom shoe order typically carries a $125 fee, which is waived for the GSFMTO.

Not too shabby. Thanks again Mr. Grangaard!

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

It never fails.

Every time patrick_b posts photos:
  • My brain melts.
  • I kind of want to cry.
  • I have this barely-controllable urge to run home and brush my shell cordovan shoes until my arms fall off.

*check
*check
*and check

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Hello,

I've never posted here before - I only have one pair of AEs; a vintage sharkskin Shelton, with silly laces:

Anyway, the reason I'm posting today is that someone just introduced me to the "AE Shoe Bank". I thought it might be awkward to deal with an outlet from outside the US, but man, that was easy. Only downside was getting hit for NY sales tax as my mailing address forwards from there! Anyway, all I can say is these people have an amazing service culture as well as pretty decent shoes. Knowing that I can check out all these deals at any time is very dangerous. One pair of AE is now about to be five...the others already on their way. Can't wait.

Also, I was so impressed with the service I asked the sales guy I was dealing with for his manager's email. To whom I sent this, copied to the CEO and VP of Allen Edmonds!

Dear Ms --------

Earlier today, I discovered the "Shoe Bank" for the first time, having been referred by a friend in the US. Living outside North America, I've had a few problems in the past buying from US retailers, and was unsure whether it would be possible to do business.

However, I am very happy to say that your Sales Associate, Mr V------- V------, has not only made this process extremely easy, but probably ensured my business for years to come: I have one pair of AE shoes; a vintage sharkskin saddle. Before too long, that will be five pairs. I suspect that number will continue to rise.

Perhaps when some people ask for email addresses of the line manager and top management of a sales associate, it's to make a complaint and vent some kind of frustration. However, I generally feel that in those circumstances, it's better to resolve the issue with the man in front of you, so to speak. As a manager myself, what I do know is that it's good to hear independently when a colleague has done a good job. So I thought I'd take a couple of minutes to let you know - that V---- V------ does a great job.

Friday afternoon is a time when a lot of people in retail and service industries are looking at their watches and getting ready to run for the door. But my initial enquiry got a comprehensive response within, literally, minutes. Every time I emailed with another question or query, I received a response rapidly, with the utmost clarity and courtesy. It couldn't have been easier to be a customer.

All of these things are a credit to you, no doubt, in having strong systems and procedures to ensure that the customer gets a great choice and an efficient service. Well done. The existence of the "Shoe Bank" alone is testament to some impressively strong customer culture. But as managers we all know that, when it comes to the real world, everything we do is in the hands of the person with the front line interface. The one who has to smile and answer stupid questions, correct the misguided and enlighten the confused, with patience and good grace. Those guys sell your products as much as any design, price offer or quality standard could ever do, and more.

V------- V-------- is one of those guys. Maybe you could do something nice for him.

Thank you for your time, and as V-------- put it "Best shoe regards!"

[mimo]

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
^Welcome to the forum, mimo. Well....what did you order???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads