1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calikid

Calikid Well-Known Member

FANTASTIC!

2. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Black Shell Harrison's today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

What do you play?

4. random-adam

random-adam Well-Known Member

A delacquered '96 Conn 8D. I've been down with patina since before I knew shoes could do it!

[​IMG]

5. BCer

BCer Well-Known Member

Man those look like they belong in an old law office on the library shelves behind glass! Amazing... (If they're too small, you know who to call!)

6. JJ--

JJ-- Member

I've been wanting to upgrade my look and wardrobe for a while now and I figured I would start with shoes. After researching and reading this thread I decided on AEs. The salesman talked me into the Strand in Walnut and Park Avenues in black for my more formal wear. I love the strands but they are a little out of my comfort zone and my wife thinks they are way too busy. I've got to start somewhere tho.

So proud new owner of Strand in Walnut and Park Avenue in Black

2 people like this.
  7. tjyoung

tjyoung Well-Known Member

What kind of toaster is that?

2 people like this.
  8. Churchill W

Churchill W Well-Known Member

9. TaperedGent

TaperedGent Well-Known Member

lol...honestly I couldn't tell you from memory. Got it as a Christmas gift. It toasts the hell out of wheat bread though!

Also I have a question, how big of a risk is it to get shoes as factory seconds. I see a lot of people here do it and i'm really wanting to grab some Daltons when this sale starts Feb 3rd. Should I be expecting to get two different looking shoes or a shoe with half a sole?

10. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

I use to play drums for a living but that was many years ago. Before that I had dreams of being a concert percussionist. I have several friends who do play music and one of them is french horn player in Chicago. He got his MA in Music from Northwestern and now plays with some chamber group in the Chicago area. I remember him and I running all over NYC because he was trying to find this guy that was suppose to be the absolute best at overhauling french horns. Good memories. Where do you play at?

11. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call it a "risk" as you can always return them minus a $10 restocking fee. But, the quality is all over the map. Some have only the smallest defects that would be noticeable only to a borderline obsessive; others are so messed up that they will irk you every time you look down at them.

If you're at all interested, I suggest you contact the Shoe Bank ASAP at (262) 284-7158 to see what's available (they will email you a list of everything they have in your size, or tell you over the phone if they have Daltons if that's all you care about). I, undoubtedly as well as others, have already asked my regular guy there to set aside the ones I'm interested in so that come next Monday they can be sent out. I'm not sure they do this for everybody, though - I'm a "power user" so Vincenzo might just be doing a solid for me in particular. At any rate, the sooner you call, the sooner you'll know what's possible and be able to lessen the risk that someone else will snipe your dream pair.

BTW, others may know better, but I'm not 100% sure whether Daltons will be part of the sale.

12. TaperedGent

I've been emailing back and forth with someone named Jean and she asked was there anything in particular that I wanted to have set aside. If they don't have Daltons I may just grab another pair of Neumok or maybe some Bourban strands.

13. rc121

rc121 Well-Known Member

and just as an fyi, they should never be defects which would compromise the integrity of the shoe like half a sole as you stated.

14. NWTeal

NWTeal Well-Known Member

Great makeup.

Either it's the bouron or your photography skills, but these look like they are on another level.

15. TaperedGent

Good to know, she just sent me a pretty long list of what they have available. The only thing i'm kinda confused about is that I know that the sale prices come Feb 3rd will be different than the ones that are on the list. How exactly does that work?

16. halfnhalfnhalf

FYI, Sherman Brothers is currently running a 15% off sale, for brands including AE. Code is "BRR2014". Most if not all of their AE prices are full retail, so the deals are not as great as they could be - but as near as I can tell the code also applies to belts as well as shoe care products, so that might be useful.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  17. kentyman

kentyman Well-Known Member

Shell will be on sale for $299, and if it's anything like the last sale this will include shell Daltons. $299 is a crazy deal for any shell seconds, but especially good for boots that regularly cost $100 more then shoes when retail.

18. halfnhalfnhalf

19. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

Since cordovans are constructed a bit roomier than calf counterparts, is it necessary to downsize by a half if the calf size is a tad roomy to begin with?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  20. BobStrauss

BobStrauss Well-Known Member

Damn. Second pair of seconds came in, and I'm having fit issues again. Check out the bowing on my suede strands:

[​IMG]

The shoes are comfortable and fit well otherwise, but that's pretty extreme, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.