1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cincikid

cincikid Well-Known Member

Would you mind posting a picture? I have Trickers on gumlite and I am deciding whether I want to resole them with gumlite or Dainite.

2. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Well-Known Member

Are you guys sure its necessary to use shoe trees with unstructured shoes like the suede Amok? Im looking at them with shoe trees in them and it seems like the trees are stretching out the soft, pliable leather.

3. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Well-Known Member

Yes, you should still use them. Keeping form is only one benefit of shoe trees… they also absorb your foot sweat.

If you're worries about stretching the suede, go down a size.

4. kentyman

kentyman Well-Known Member

Thanks for all of the advice. Sounds like it's likely drying out. I don't have Venetian Shoe Cream or a polishing bone, but I might try some Saphir Renovateur to see if that helps.

5. kentyman

kentyman Well-Known Member

My understanding is that Brogue Suede Strands don't have a Poron insole, and instead have an added sock liner over the standard leather insole:

6. bl@ster

bl@ster Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if you can do an MTO with exposed eyelets in a color other than "antique brass"?

7. random-adam

random-adam Well-Known Member

I don't have one handy of the bottom of the shoe, but here's what they looked like the day after I got 'em back:

[​IMG]

Found out later that they're able to use a darker stitching if asked -- but as casual as they are I didn't mind the lighter contrast, and it got darker anyway within a couple of months.

8. bucksfan

bucksfan Well-Known Member

Reno will help, but I'd also look into getting some Venetian. I spent the weekend cleaning up my shoes with Venetian, and they looked great afterward. I use Reno to help remove the original product that AE puts on their shells, but sparingly after that.

9. bucksfan

bucksfan Well-Known Member

Shell will have some inconsistencies in coloration, as mentioned. See (#8 or "burgundy in AE's lingo) Kenwoods when new (after I removed AE's cream applied at the factory):

[​IMG]

Rolls vs Creases (tassel loafers are calf, others are black shell):

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  10. chris45

chris45 Well-Known Member

Sizing question.. how does Neumok compare with the Strand (8.5D) and Kenilworth (8D) in sizing?

Really would rather not go back to the store for ANOTHER sizing so soon after the last, lol =]

And PA would be the same sizing as Strand, correct?

11. tampatravel

tampatravel Well-Known Member

Correct! The Neumok fits me a little looser than the Strand but then again you might be wearing a dressier (thinner) sock with the Strand.

12. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

Strand and PA should have the same sizing since they're both fitted in the 5-last (somebody correct me if I'm wrong)

13. Roycru

Roycru Well-Known Member

When I asked Allison the same question last week the answer was.......

"For the metal grommets of the eyelets we would have, silver, brass, black, or copper."

I chose the brass grommets for my Walnut MTO shoes.

14. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Well-Known Member

I'm glad I sent the first pair of Fifth Street seconds back. I just received a replacement pair and they are flawless. Well worth the $10 restocking fee.

15. needadvice22

needadvice22 New Member

Missed holes in the brogueing....

I got some Strands in the mail this weekend from the Nordstrom sale....I noticed outside of the right shoe, there are two spots where one of the small holes is not punched at all. Am I being too nitpicky or does this warrant a return? Picture below is an example of what I'm talking about.
    [​IMG]

16. bkotsko

bkotsko Well-Known Member

Personally, I would be ok with them.
    I have 2 small imperfections on an MTO I had made, and would never return them.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  17. needadvice22

needadvice22 New Member

18. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Seeing something like this make me realize how poorly I look over my shoes when I get them....

19. anrobit

anrobit Well-Known Member

Made to order. I wouldn't worry about the imperfection that you're seeing. Nobody will ever see that.

20. needadvice22

needadvice22 New Member

So, would you keep them?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.