• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would like to add that Dalton leather seems a bit more softer than other AE leather shoes that I own. And toe box looks to be a bit soft as well. And my Dalton developed some crease on the toe area ); .It could be a sizing issue But the toe box is softer when I compare with other ae.

Shiny

Reaction score

Was looking for a casual PTB. I was about to buy a pair of Alden's but then this seconds sale launched. Stuck to AE! Got the Rapid City Derby's: $159 vs $500!! Can't pass up a deal like that

Congrats! Need some "in the wild" pix.

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score
AHHHHH I HAVE BEEN OUTED!

My girl just looked over my shoulder at my iPad and saw that I was on here. Her exact quote was "OH MY GOD you're on a shoe forum and you're religiously reading those posts aren't you?"

Then she said "...you'd don't actually post pics of your shoes on there do you? DO YOU?"

Ahhhh if she only knew!

what you need to do is find a girl that is in love with shoes as much as you are. My wife and I take turns goggling over our future shoe purchases online.

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fifth street boot was one of my recent purchases from about a month ago (4 other AEs since). Purchased the dark brown, wore them once and I'm in love. I've always had an infatuation with balmoral boots, and am considering purchasing the black and merlot version of them as well.

As far as the wifey concerned about our passion, mine seems pretty chill about it these days. Although I do sell on eBay, so I'm always snappin pics of things daily. Packages entering and leaving the house is a normal occurrence. eBay sales funds my shoe drug addiction, and she don't really care lol.
I can only recommend you try and involve her in why you enjoy what it is we all share here, maybe she will take an interest.

frogwash

Reaction score
I have the RL Saunders and they have the leather insole, not the Poron. Also, the AE RL's are most often compared to AE's Independence line as far as the quality of the leather goes, though I don't have any of these to compare them too. My Saunders also have the 2-piece combination heel like the cordovan AE's. they fit a little bit more snug than than my 5-last shoes. I like them a lot.

So for sizing do you stay with the same size as your 5 last shoes? As in it is not so snug that you need to make a change in size?

I'm looking to get a pair in tan and suede.

Sorry for the slow response. I wear the same size in both,12E. Now the snugness is far less noticeable then when they were new. Even if the RL's feel a little tight on first putting them on for the day, after 15 minutes it's completely unnoticeable, maybe due to the leather warming and softening. If I didn't have a couple of MTO shell Amoks on order, I'd get more of these as even a hair snug still fits my foot better than the Dundees I tried.

GOP Shoe Guy

Reaction score
I'm thinking I might get the fifth street in brown for my next shoe.

Does anyone out there have any experience with this shoe?

What do you guys think? thumbs up or thumbs down?
I have the brown fifth streets, and have had them for about a year. They are a great looking boot. I have had no squeaking issues. There were some breaking in squeaks, but after the leather was broke in that stopped. The brown looks excellent with variations of grey, and of course blue. The only knock I have on these is that I wish they were a it taller like the Dalton. But they are a great boot for dress or casual.

GOP Shoe Guy

Reaction score
I am considering purchasing a pair of Daltons for the winter, likely walnut, maybe bourbon. I wear a suit every day. I am wondering how well they would go with a suit. Though I'd just like to have a pair, I would also like to get some regular wear out of them.

Any thoughts?
I wear my Walnut Dalton for dress with a suit often. Grey and blue are great. Also, grey flannel slack look amazing with the walnut Dalton. I would not hesitate. Pull the trigger.

rschwartz

Reaction score
Has anyone picked up a pair of the suede Strands? I love my brown ones and have been looking for a pair of casual suede shoes, but I noticed the suede Strands have a different model number (1614). Do they not fit the same as the regular Strands, which are on the 5 last?

Shiny

Reaction score
Shell Townleys on a Monday (indoor/flash shot). Have a gr8 week, guys!

tietherope

Reaction score

Sorry for the slow response. I wear the same size in both,12E. Now the snugness is far less noticeable then when they were new. Even if the RL's feel a little tight on first putting them on for the day, after 15 minutes it's completely unnoticeable, maybe due to the leather warming and softening. If I didn't have a couple of MTO shell Amoks on order, I'd get more of these as even a hair snug still fits my foot better than the Dundees I tried.

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm glad your answer is what it is because I have both pairs of Saunders ordered already on the same size as my Strands and McAllisters.

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score
Fifth street boot was one of my recent purchases from about a month ago (4 other AEs since). Purchased the dark brown, wore them once and I'm in love. I've always had an infatuation with balmoral boots, and am considering purchasing the black and merlot version of them as well.

As far as the wifey concerned about our passion, mine seems pretty chill about it these days. Although I do sell on eBay, so I'm always snappin pics of things daily. Packages entering and leaving the house is a normal occurrence. eBay sales funds my shoe drug addiction, and she don't really care lol.
I can only recommend you try and involve her in why you enjoy what it is we all share here, maybe she will take an interest.

thanks again for the very helpful input. I think I'm definitely getting the fifth street in brown. I also agree with your advice as far as getting your S.O. involved in the hopes that she will better understand what we do here.
I have the brown fifth streets, and have had them for about a year. They are a great looking boot. I have had no squeaking issues. There were some breaking in squeaks, but after the leather was broke in that stopped. The brown looks excellent with variations of grey, and of course blue. The only knock I have on these is that I wish they were a it taller like the Dalton. But they are a great boot for dress or casual.

Beatiful shoes! I too like the idea of a balmoral boot. A very classy look. I also like the fact that the brown can be dressed up or dressed down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads