1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Well-Known Member

These look really nice. They fit a major gap in AEs lineup, a shoe truly fitting of a Black Tie affair. I'd buy these today if I didn't already have the Vernon.

1 person likes this.
  2. anrobit

anrobit Well-Known Member

Just wishing AE would make more shell. I can confirm that the Pelle Line shell Daltons are indeed walnut, and I believe the Boston AE still has a pair of walnut shell Strands or McCallisters languishing on the shelf. I didn't take a very close look, so I can't recall the size.

3. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Well-Known Member

I would consider 6 months are longer to be a long time. Although, I condition every shoe I purchase before I wear them, just in case.

4. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Well-Known Member

thanks... I think I'll give conditioning my new fifth streets (just arrived today) a try. As well as my other AE's that are currently boxed up for the winter.

1 person likes this.
  5. bucksfan

bucksfan Well-Known Member

Depends on if you keep visiting this thread and others. Whatever you do, don't start frequenting this thread, the Alden thread, and the C&J for RL thread. All of a sudden, you're going to be getting multiple deliveries in the same week, and shopping for your next pair before the last pair arrives!

Fortunately, my Wife indulges my "hobby." Though, when I bought 2 pair of C&J for RL shell boots and 2 pair of C&J for RL shell shoes all at once during the last sale, she did ask what the damage was... then was appalled. I find it helps if I point out a few pair I've had for a while, to show how well they last (i.e. prove their value).

6. kentyman

kentyman Well-Known Member

Exactly. The only thing that could make them more formal lace-ups (read: non-pumps) for black tie would be patent leather, which I personally don't like (I feel lacquer or plastic coating looks cheap and is "cheating". Why not just use all plastic at that point?), and possibly making them a wholecut instead.

7. random-adam

random-adam Well-Known Member

Hear, hear. As an amateur musician I'm in a tuxedo fairly frequently; I've got an email into Allison to see if the Carlyle can be had in AA width, and if so, I'm thinking really hard about having a workhorse pair done up in black patent (or black shell, if I decide to go for durability and subtle luster over by-the-book "proper").

Some black Carlyles with black silk ribbon lacing... yeah, that'd do nicely.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  8. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

9. kentyman

kentyman Well-Known Member

If it wasn't on the chiseled 333 last, absolutely. But I just can't abide those angles.

10. LeviMay

LeviMay Well-Known Member

Is the main difference with the Orthotic line a removable insole and a rubber outsole? Is the Winter Park pretty much a MacNeil on the 1-Last?

11. markkohfm

markkohfm Member

This is slightly off topic but does anyone know anyone who is willing to forward parcels to a freight forwarding address for a fee? Reason why I asked is because brands like Abercrombie ban orders to freight forwarding addresses and the only way to even purchase is to a local address.

12. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Slightly on topic, Allen Edmonds ship to my freight forwarder no problem.

13. markkohfm

markkohfm Member

I have no problem with AE, have a pair of BB brown strands with my freight forwarder ATM. I want to buy Abercrombie shirts because they fit me really well but I cannot. Cuz they not only discriminate against people of size, they also discriminate against freight forwarder =P

14. chinngiskhaan

Not that it really bothers me... but what does this have to do with us here in the AE forum? I mean, don't you have a friend or relative in the states that can help you out?

15. markkohfm

markkohfm Member

I asked here because this is the only sartorial forum and thread that I follow and the people here seem really helpful. Well, that cannot be said of everyone here I suppose. It has nothing to do with AE and people can choose not to reply if they don't want to.

If I had a relative/friend in the states, I wouldn't be asking. But even if so, I do not want to trouble them.

16. MMoon24

MMoon24 Well-Known Member

17. chinngiskhaan

well, you are certainly right about most people on this forum. The majority of us are very helpful. It at the very least speaks to the quality of gents on this forum that you would be willing to trust your things with them.

18. rc121

rc121 Well-Known Member

I lol'd

19. TaperedGent

TaperedGent Well-Known Member

Is there any particular wax/conditioner people would recommend for the Walnut Strands?

20. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.