1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

#dadjeans

2. ryansto

ryansto Well-Known Member

The options are:

Single leather
    Double leather
    Mini Lug
    V Tread
    Wilbert-style rubber
    Ashton-style rubber

3. NWTeal

NWTeal Well-Known Member

No Dainite as a recraft option?

4. coolarrow

coolarrow Well-Known Member

Burgundy shell Daltons today w/dress slacks (indoor flash shot):

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. random-adam

random-adam Well-Known Member

I'd suggest staying far, far away from the Wilbert sole. It's a very soft rubber, and the heels wore through on my own pair of Wilberts after a scant year and change of 2x/week wear; they're hollow. Far better from a wear perspective to get a regular leather sole with v-tread.

6. NWTeal

NWTeal Well-Known Member

Burgundy shell Park Avenues today. These are growing on me quite a bit.

[​IMG]

7. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

Apologies for this pop-in-pop-out sizing question, but looking at a pair of 11.5D Shell Daltons. I wear a 12D in Leydon, Plaza, Tremont from Alden, and 11.5D w/ room in Barrie, Trubalance. Also have a 12D on Inca in Carmina. Will the 11.5D Dalton fit, even decently, or should I be looking elsewhere? Only other experience is w/ a 12D "Chester" shortwing-bal through AE which fits rather large (particularly a bit wide, but comfortable) on my foot, but I realize I don't know the AE lasts well enough to make a call solely on that.

Any input is appreciated, and again, apologies for the quick question.

8. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Hey El, I'm sure more experienced members will chime in soon, but FWIW, if I was going to order a pair of Daltons I would order my Barrie/Trubalance size. That works for my foot.

9. bkotsko

bkotsko Well-Known Member

I have both Barrie Boots and Daltons in the same size.
    IMO, the Dalton is slightly more snug on the width. I get a tiny bit of pressure on my pinky toe.
    I don't have any problem with them in the same size, but they are slightly smaller.

10. Mark_Y

Mark_Y Well-Known Member

Please quote when appropriate. I have no idea what you are referring to.

11. coolarrow

coolarrow Well-Known Member

Argentino,
    I went with 1/2 size up from my Barrie size. I have a little room in my Barrie last, too.

12. Odradek

Odradek Well-Known Member

Last year I bought some BB MacNeil seconds from the Jeffersonville store, and have had a bit of a problem with the heel on one shoe.
    Today I brought them to a well know shoe repair shop in London to ask if the heel could be looked at, but to my surprise, the man behind the counter refused to do so, once I had mentioned that the shoes were Allen Edmonds seconds.
    "They're rejects. I can't do anything with them. Nobody can help you", was his opinion.

Bit of a shock really.
    Anyone else ever encounter an attitude like that with seconds?

13. 7_rocket

7_rocket Well-Known Member

What are your thoughts on these creases? normal? [ATTACHMENT=8187]unnamed.jpg (68k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

14. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Well-Known Member

My walnut Strands are my least creased shoe as well. You can barely tell they are there.

Most creased for me are my black Vernons. I got them from Amazon and forgot to condition them or break them in before wearing them all day [​IMG]

15. tampatravel

tampatravel Well-Known Member

He probably did you a favor - the fact that it's a second shouldn't matter at all - if he doesn't need the business that bad, he certainly wouldn't treat your shoes with love.

16. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Maybe the thought that seconds = stolen or something...haha

17. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a load of bollucks to me...

18. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Well-Known Member

what do you mean by conditioning? My second pair of allen edmonds are set to arrive tomorrow, and I was wondering if there is anything I need to apply to them in order to get them broken in or "conditioned" correctly. When you say "condition" are you referring to conditioning lotion or cream of some sort? Or just referring to breaking them in?

19. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Well-Known Member

I read that Saphir Reno should be used if a shoe has gone unworn for a "while." What period of time constitutes a while for shoes that have been stored in shoe bags and box? The shoes I'm inquiring about have been stored away for 2-3 months.

20. green garden

green garden Well-Known Member

I wear 8C in Barrie and Trubalance, 8.5D in Leydon and 8.5C in Aberdeen. My Brannock measurement is 8.5C. 8C Barrie fits really well and the 8.5 Aberdeen and Leydon are looser. I wear 8.5 C in the AE 1 last (Leeds, Lexington). The width of the 8D 1 last is good for me. But the top of my left small toes hit the leather so it I have an issue with the length.

Since you have room with Barrie, which is the reverse for me, the 11.5D Dalton may work for you.

Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.