1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. polojock615

polojock615 Well-Known Member

I have three pairs of Neumoks and use shoe trees for all of them.

2. tuckfro

tuckfro Active Member

Brand new Kenilworth!
    [​IMG]

3. billabong

billabong Member

double post

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  4. billabong

billabong Member

The last shoes:
    135 Oxford Black 139 2

Do you have the image of these shoes?

[​IMG]

5. coolarrow

coolarrow Well-Known Member

$269 is probably the correct price. As to $194, it depends. If you NEED the shoes, it is a good price. If you WANT them, it's not.

6. NWTeal

NWTeal Well-Known Member

I agree with coolarrow. The promo is only good for full priced seconds and $269 would be the regular price for PA seconds. $194 is a decent price, but you can usually get Brooks Brothers PA seconds for less as they regularly get down to $149. If you can wait a little bit you can order the Brooks Brothers PA first quality for around $230 with the extra 15% through today. They look back ordered until February, however.

7. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of a MTO of either the Fairfax or Hale in chili.

Fairfax:
    [​IMG]

Hale:
    [​IMG]

What say you?

8. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Well-Known Member

9. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Well-Known Member

10. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Well-Known Member

11. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Well-Known Member

I kind of like the (new?) Fullerton, especially in suede.

[​IMG]

I ordered the suede Strand with Dainite sole during the sale, but I haven't gotten any shipping confirmation. I wonder if they have to make it. If they cancel, I might get the Fullerton instead.

12. GooseG

GooseG Well-Known Member

I took my holiday cash and placed an order for some brown shell Strands today. With a flurry of weddings to attend in 2014, they'll be getting some use! After trying a pair of 8.5E Park Aves, it appears that my 5 last size os just a half down from my normal 9D.

In regard to the earlier Reno v. Saphir creme debate, I think I'll get some neutral creme. Spending another 22 bucks on Reno seems redundant when I have a motherlode of Venetian Cream already.

13. chris45

chris45 Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone for posting! I love threads like these.. I learn so much!

I have not made any shoe purchases, yet .. and after reading the forums, it appears Allen Edmonds is my best bet (for now at least)..

I need a nice dress pair, to be worn with suit, but also with other casual business wear.

First purchase I had in mind was a Strand (walnut) -- is that a good pick to start with?

It will be paired with a navy suit (and possibly charcoal blue suit)..

I am also a business casual kind of guy and like to enjoy going out on the weekends, so really looking for advice on a casual where shoe style/color. Or will the Strand still fit that bill?

Interested to also hear thoughts on me jumping right into a MTO, and if so, what recommended specs would you suggest? Or would you just pull the trigger now (and if so, via which store?).

Thanks a lot everyone and LOVE hearing/seeing/reading about what everyone likes/dislikes/opinions/etc.

14. GooseG

GooseG Well-Known Member

I think it'd be hard to go wrong with Strands in walnut. They'd be more versatile than a Park Avenue in the scenarios you describe.

15. hoit1981

hoit1981 Well-Known Member

Not professional. Mingus rocks.

16. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

I personally find the strand in walnut to be a little too loud for dark navy. Strand also comes in dark brown burnished and merlot, which I find much more versatile (and attractive). ditto for McAllister.

and some may disagree, but I personally think that the plain toe derby Kenilworth in dark brown or bourbon is the easiest shoe to dress either up or down.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  17. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

indeed he does.

I am though :)

18. K. Nights

K. Nights Well-Known Member

Can seconds be returned to an AE store or must they be shipped back to the Shoe Bank?

19. chris45

chris45 Well-Known Member

GooseG and peppercorn78, thank you very much for your reply/opinions.

I really like the walnut, but also was thinking the same with them being too loud with the dark navy suits ..

I'm guessing my purchase this week will line up closer to the business casual (even jeans/etc to go with a navy blazer). Should I keep my focus on the walnut Strand or move my way over to the plain toe derby Kenilworth (I like how you describe them as easy dress up or down)?

My second pair will be the ones that need to fully match up with the navy suits/etc -- looking at Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald in navy as my first big suit purchase. So when that time comes, maybe then I'll grab the Strand but in a darker color, as you suggested to look into.

Thanks for also pointing me to McAllister

20. Subutai

Subutai Well-Known Member

This depends on the individual store. Most in NYC will, I went to one in Westport, CT that refused

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.