1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AT83

AT83 Active Member

My newest boot additions needed some winter attention. The RW Beckmans and the AE Bayfields both got Obenauf's Leather Oil followed by Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP the next day. I used my Mr. Coffee mug warmer to melt the jar of HDLP and applied with my fingers. I gave each shoe about 3 minutes of hair dryer treatment and then left them over night again to soak it in, then buffed and brushed away the excess. My older black Danner (imports) duty boots only got a little bit of shoe polish to the toe, the glycol from work really does a number on them and I don't expect them to last more than 4-5 winter seasons.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Work Stompers, Casual Stompers, Classier Stompers

2. NWTeal

NWTeal Well-Known Member

10.5EE on the Macneil should fit pretty well for you. The 7 last is a bit shorter and more forgiving on the top, plus its a blucher which should make it more comfortable on the top. I have basically the same fit "issues" with my Park Aves and I'm I got the same size for my MacNeils.

3. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

IMO, you would regret the purchase from day 1.

1 person likes this.
  4. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Well-Known Member

The Style Forum homepage has a link to the AE Appreciation Thread on their slider, and one of my AE MTO photos I took is pictured. Kinda cool. I didn't know I was such a good shoe photographer. :) Since they pictured my AE Shell Franciscan, and I was wearing them today, I figured I would show you how the look out in the wild.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  5. nhindian

nhindian Well-Known Member

Hi all, I'm in dire need of stepping up my shoe collection and want to start with AE.

Are there any good sales going on / starting soon?

6. coolarrow

coolarrow Well-Known Member

I've never had the dovetail part come off, but I've worn them down. All the cobblers I've used replace the entire heel rather than just the dovetail piece. they'll charge extra for the half leather/half rubber heel, too. You know the kind with a half moon shape (rubber). I don't know why they don't do an all rubber heel on replacement. Maybe they don't stock/order those dovetail heel pieces?

7. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Well-Known Member

In my experience, that just depends on the cobbler.

8. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

Large is absolutely right for you. I am an 8.5 (8 in Alden Barrie and 8E on the AE 1 last) and I wear the Large. Some of my boots they are very, very tight but for the most part they fit well. I know there are cheaper overshoes (Tingley I believe) but I am very pleased with the quality of my Swims.

9. althanis

althanis Well-Known Member

That's awesome, thank you for the reply.

Coincidentally (it's funny how these things happen), I saw a guy with orange Swims today over his walnut dub monks. Not necessarily the colour I plan on going with, but it sure looked like it was keeping his shoes nice and dry.

10. tampatravel

tampatravel Well-Known Member

FYI: Ssense.com has Swims on sale for half off.

http://www.ssense.com/men/search?terms=swims galoshes

$50-70 in Orange, Navy, and Green Camo

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  11. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

That's a good price. The navy ones look different than mine. Those appear to be two tone and have something felt like across the top. Mine are all rubber

12. althanis

althanis Well-Known Member

13. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Well-Known Member

This can't be said often enough. The real things are cheaper, better, and last longer. Mine are 15-20 years old and have never missed a beat.

14. LeviMay

LeviMay Well-Known Member

It's letting me post pics now... First wearing of my MTOs:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Well-Known Member

Let me quickly add Cold Iron is correct about the tread style and fit not being for everyone. For me, they are great.

16. LeviMay

LeviMay Well-Known Member

And with my Navy Swims, to keep the conversation going:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. watchidiot

watchidiot Well-Known Member

Great looking shoes! May I ask what last is used for the Lexington?

18. NicNac

NicNac Well-Known Member

Looking for some expert advice.

I recently bought a pair of Walnut Daltons in 11 D and absolutely love them. The length is fine and after 5 wears I am noticing that they are starting to stretch a bit in the width. I do get a slight rubbing against my baby toe but I am hoping that it will go away after a few more wears.

I now need a pair of dress shoes so I am considering a pair of Strands. Would I go with the same size or do I go a size up or down? Also because of the slight rubbing, should I consider an E width?

Your advice would greatly help me choose my next pair of AE's.

Thanks!

19. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

I wanted some flat waxed laces for my Daltons so I ordered a pair for $1.99 on eBay and love them so far. I also bought a few pairs of TZlaces that have yet to arrive so we will see if they are worth the premium.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Flat-Wax-Wax...ex_Accessories&var&hash=item5af6222e42&_uhb=1

Here they are next to the stock pair that came with my Dalton, I swear I am never going back to the stock pair again.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  20. tjyoung

tjyoung Well-Known Member

I personally like the stock laces better. What do you like in the flat ones?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.