1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kentyman

kentyman Well-Known Member

Thank you for all of the feedback; I really can't argue with any of it. I agree on the edging, eyelets, and speed hooks, and V-Tread really seems to make the most sense. Thanks again for helping me confirm where I was already leaning.

2. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Well-Known Member

Thank you, bouncing ideas back and forth has really helped me with my own make up as well, and thank you for adding the information you received from Allison regarding lining and what not. Very interested in seeing how these turn out for us. These make ups; yours, as well as my own, and a few that some of the other members have talked about, are really what the eagle county should have been. AE doesn't have a simple Cap toe boot, which is a staple in my opinion. Really looking forward to all of this, these various make ups will be great to see.

1 person likes this.
  3. d4nimal

d4nimal Well-Known Member

I think if you've worked it out this completely and thoughtfully, regardless of which you choose you will be happy with it. None of the things you're considering are really wacky. Sounds like a more casual boot in most regards. I think it'd look right at home w/ a stockier mini lug given the other "rugged" characteristics you've chosen, but if you went leather I don't think it would look disjointed.

As someone pointed out above, interesting about the Independence Lining. Hard to imagine it would make more than a millimeter of difference, but who knows. Props also on the links to pics of stuff like the edge dressing examples - hard to know what's what without poring over every picture in the catalogs.

4. BCer

BCer Well-Known Member

Different pants, different lighting. I like my blues.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. bkotsko

bkotsko Well-Known Member

6. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Walnut Wednesday!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Walnut Calf Players Shoe

-Mike

1 person likes this.
  7. Subutai

Subutai Well-Known Member

FWIW I don't notice any size difference at all with independence lining, just extreme comfort.

I would definitely stick with the Independence lining if you have the cash, it's 100% worth it

8. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Well-Known Member

While I wouldn't get your hopes up on the 270 welt, it would be absolutely fantastic if they would accommodate that. Their Executive Line from a few years ago was 270 degree welted, so they may surprise us all and do it. That would open up a whole new realm of possibilities for them, as there are many people who shift to other brands specifically because they don't want their dress shoes to be 360 degree welted. I'd be all over a Fifth Avenue or a Park Avenue built on the 8-last with a 270 welt, JR sole with dovetail heel, and wheeled welt as a new "workhorse" suit shoe.

9. tjyoung

tjyoung Well-Known Member

Are there examples of each of these? I placed an order yesterday for light brown transparent, and Allison said they're pretty much all the same. Someone was saying natural looks a little more "flashy"...anyone have examples of all three colors?

10. tjyoung

tjyoung Well-Known Member

How much extra for the independence lining?

11. 850csi

850csi Well-Known Member

FWIW, the thought that came to my head was that if you went CXL + mini lug, the boot might end up being too casual to dress up. V-tread probably makes sense.

As far the lining - for me, the cowhide EC fit perfectly. Allison was of the opinion that a calfskin shoe would actually feel a little looser, and that going with the Independence lining would tighten it back up a bit. So I went with the Independence insole/lining.

I went with brass eyelets because it better matched the black/chili color scheme I'm going for.

Fellas, has anyone ever put chili stitching on a black welt?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  12. coolarrow

coolarrow Well-Known Member

2 people like this.
  13. 7_rocket

7_rocket Well-Known Member

Will there be a seconds sale for Christmas? or when is the next sale? I really wanted some walnut strands in seconds.

14. Gauss17

Gauss17 Well-Known Member

I'd keep an eye or at or after Christmas. If nothing else, Brooks Brothers sells an AE strand for $368 in walnut. The day after Christmas it should be 25%+15% off, bringing the price for firsts down to $234.60 assuming the sale is the same as last year.

2 people like this.
  15. kentyman

Please see this post for an updated list of all MTO options I'm aware of. I have more links to different edge dressings, for example:

16. kentyman

Please see above for links of different edge dressings.

17. kentyman

My understanding is it's a free option on MTOs.

850csi, I'm surprised Allison said calfskin would feel looser than cowhide. This is opposite from how the Rough Collection shoes behave.

To be clear, here is what Allison said to me regarding Independence fit. For comparison, I wear 8.5D in the 5-65 last:

Quote:

18. 850csi

850csi Well-Known Member

FWIW Allison said there's no such thing as chili edge dressing - I suspect the McTavishes you posted as an example of that might have the toasted natural. There's definitely some variation from shoe to shoe even for theoretically identical finishes.

I don't know man. Perhaps she was referring to the specific cowhide that comes on the default EC - maybe the Dublin leather on the rough collection shoes is thinner. But it would certainly make sense - the leather on the ECs I tried on is significantly thicker than any of of my calfskin shoes.

19. kentyman

Thanks for this follow-up. I guessed on that chili link, but the rest were direct examples Allison gave me. Well, except for the black on, but I'm petty confident in that. ;)

I'll remove the chili reference. Still, it's interesting that AE sells "chili" edge dressing and it works perfectly on my Cognac McTavishes.

20. 850csi

850csi Well-Known Member

Yeah, I noticed that as well. That's probably what I'll use on the midsole on my MTOs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.