1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Pelican Pants

Mr Pelican Pants Well-Known Member

Nice - I have the same 4 shoe rotation for AEs. However, I can't agree to doing anything else you mentioned in your post.

Mind sharing the colors for each?

Strand: two pair walnut, two pair brown shell cord
    McAllister: one pair walnut, two pair "merlot"
    Fifth: one brown calf
    Park: one merlot, one black

I should have more black shoes, but I actually don't wear black shoes much. I prefer the burgundy "merlot" with any kind of grey, and brown or walnut with navy, olive and tan. And I wear a lot of olive and tan suits in the non-winter months.

Always kinda wondered why the Strands don't come in the burgundy. I'm sure you guys have sussed out already. Care to clue me in? Seems like a massive oversight to me, like old BMWs not having cup holders. But maybe they just don't sell? Maybe they sound good in theory but in practice they look like crap?

Strand is the nicest looking shoe anywhere IMHO. Walnut especially. Walnut Strands are as close as I may ever get to understanding why so many women are obsessed with shoes.

2. beowolf

beowolf Well-Known Member

I just bought these, I know they are hated, but it was kinda an impulse buy.

[​IMG]
    Cordovan

3. Mr Pelican Pants

Mr Pelican Pants Well-Known Member

I just bought these, I know they are hated, but it was kinda an impulse buy.

[​IMG]
    Cordovan

Why are they hated? I'm not a tassel loafer guy personally, but I know people who are.

They look nice enough to me.

4. beowolf

Why are they hated? I'm not a tassel loafer guy personally, but I know people who are.

They look nice enough to me.

I bought them for a custom suit I had made, not sure if it will work. I am still looking for a pair of Alden shell.

5. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

Beautiful loafers beowolf. Allen Edmonds sources their shell cordo from Horween, same as Alden.
    I'd wear those in a heartbeat. Congratulations, and thank you for sharing the photo.

6. beowolf

thanks. Do you think these will work well with a Navy and Glen plaid suit? I had two custom suits made from English American.

7. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Well-Known Member

Which Allen Edmonds penny loafer should I get? It's really between the Walden and Kenwood right now because those are the two that are are $200 and come in Burgundy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  8. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

I have bought 3 pairs of AE's in the last few months........

Leeds 13 Black
    Park Ave 13 Black
    Shelton 13 Burgundy/Black

The Leeds are the most comfortable shoe I have ever owned. The Park Ave's are starting to become very comfortable after the 5-6 time wearing them.

The Shelton's look nice, I got them @ less than 1/2 MSRP from Amazon. They are of dubious quality, however. I should have sent them back and didn't so that is squarely on me. They were old shoes from the lapse in quality days of AE (black insoles, sole a little out of alignment and bump in the leather). They still look ok at first glance, it's probably just me that really notices the imperfections. I believe they should have been 2nd's.

My next purchase will be Shell Randolph or EG Picadilly (yeah I know, not for this thread). I need a loafer next.

Anyhow, I am quite happy with the quality of the Leeds and Pa's. They are certainly made with care and are very comfortable. I will definitely buy more AE's.

9. MyOtherLife

They most certainly would serve both suits well.

10. MyOtherLife

The Kenwood (second pair) has a nicer beef roll and the overall styling is more classic. They would get my vote in Burgundy.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  11. kgmessier

kgmessier Well-Known Member

+1

I also prefer the color of the Kenwood, though I'm not sure if it's just the particular picture. The beef roll adds a more youthful appearance, which I like.

12. SeanathonHuff

SeanathonHuff Well-Known Member

would it be acceptable to wear black Van Ness AEs with a navy blue suit in an interview setting?

[​IMG]

13. Superfluous

Superfluous Well-Known Member

I had some AE rimini that would get marked on the toe when you walk because the leather was too soft and would run off the end of the sole. I took them to Allen Edmonds and they let me switch them for shoes of equal value or pay the difference.

14. hohneokc

hohneokc Well-Known Member

I would think those would be fine in that situation.

Good luck with your interview.

Chris

15. bl@ster

bl@ster Well-Known Member

16. Grey

Grey Well-Known Member

Picked up "chili" Hales yesterday. Very pleased.

[​IMG]

That's a crazy deal on the Lombards. Maybe I should double down, lol.

17. ryoneo

ryoneo Well-Known Member

18. Albern

Albern Well-Known Member

Second star to the right and straight on 'til morn
    Huge +1 Really appreciate the PSA. I ordered the 2nd last pair in my size in walnut not too long ago. Looking forward to receiving them.

19. thesecondprize

thesecondprize Well-Known Member

Finally picked up the Lombards in Walnut. Thanks!

20. kgmessier

kgmessier Well-Known Member

Ditto. Grabbed the last one in 9D.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.