1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  2. kentyman

kentyman Well-Known Member

Have you considered contacting AE customer service about your request, instead? I don't think griping here is constructive.

3. evolved

evolved Well-Known Member

I think either dark chocolate brown or bourbon. Merlot would be ok, but for me I'm not a fan of it as a casual color, for some reason.

4. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Well-Known Member

Back to the bourbon shoe things couple of pages back, as MWS (I think) pointed out, the problem with the way AE creates that look is that you lose the look once you start maintaining the shoes. This dovetails into one of my pet peeves is that in many of the most popular "classic" dress shoes they have, there is little between "burnished" (or "dark") brown and AE walnut. Bourbon would fit but they don't stay bourbon; they get lighter or darker.

Chili would be nice but they are mostly in loafers and more casual shoes. Shoot, in a classic wingtip - the McAlister - you can't get it in ANY shade of brown darker than walnut. You have to step up to the independence line Jefferson and even that is in dark brown (which, BTW, I have and love).

I'd love a medium brown. Something like a bourbon but "locked in" at the tanning stage.

5. Septimus

Septimus Well-Known Member

Bwahahahahaha!!!!

6. BWV988

BWV988 Well-Known Member

Another vote for dark chocolate.

7. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

Who is saying that members don't touch up photo? It takes very little time to make touch up jobs.

1 person likes this.
  8. michaeljohnr

michaeljohnr Well-Known Member

You're chuckling, I assume because of the rumored tendency of the 'bourbon' shoes to lose their color?

If the color is not locked in at the tanning stage it will change, no?

I would not want to dislike the color IF it changed.

I guess black goes with everything [​IMG], but in my opinion the boot loses some of it's charm in black.

9. Septimus

Septimus Well-Known Member

Sorry, just laughing because your inquiry regarding bourbon followed immediately after my little rant and the subsequent discussion regarding the mercurial nature of the bourbon color. I think it's hard to say what color it is to start and then, yes, it does tend to change depending on how you care for it.

10. ec123456

ec123456 Active Member

What is the procedure for returning shoes ordered from the outlets if I don't have the original receipt with the return slip?

11. bkotsko

bkotsko Well-Known Member

Heres the thing...
    If you can find a pair of burgundy shell seconds at Jville or elsewhere, jump on them before you get something else.
    I am sure the fine folks here can direct you to all the places you may find the seconds.
    If they are not available, you should go with Brown or Bourbon.
    You aren't going to go wrong with any color. You can always get another pair down the road.
    Keep in mind that these are more than a 1 season boot.
    These may be a 20+ year boot with the proper care.
    Ps. Any pair of shoes/boots will develop a patina and change some color over the time you have them.
    Best of luck.

12. NWTeal

NWTeal Well-Known Member

Not "you can", it's more likely that "you will" based on what I've seen happen to people on this thread, myself included. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. michaeljohnr

michaeljohnr Well-Known Member

Thank you for the reply, it's appreciated.

If anyone reading this wants to direct me anywhere, please message me. I would greatly appreciate the information.

Thanks again.

14. DHD28

DHD28 Well-Known Member

So, with everything said about the Bourbon color, if one would want to keep it on the darker side of the spectrum, how would one achieve this?

15. fourspin

fourspin Well-Known Member

Black sharpie

16. ryansto

ryansto Well-Known Member

I would suggest using neutral polish and buffing with your black brush, possibly even using a coat of black polish once every four times you ploish them. I have been using the AE Bourbon polish on my Hanovers and it has really evened out the color: More olive than golden.

17. ryansto

Call them. I'm sure they have your purchase history on file.

18. cincikid

cincikid Well-Known Member

I wonder if I can solicit an advice about sizing on the Barrie last, I got a pair of Alden's for JCrew in 9 and 9.5 trying to figure out which would fit better. 9.5 seems to fit ok, but it just feels like it's too roomy for me. Size 9 fits more snug, bug I am not sure if it's perfectly comfortable. I almost feel like I need 9 1/4. For the reference, I measure 9.5 D on the Brannock device, and wear 9.5 E on the 5 last (except for the rough collection) and 10 D on the 7 last.

19. ryansto

This is it. Either the vamp is too flat, or the quarters don't extend far enough forward on the boot. It may have something to do with how long the cap is, and not wanting to have the cap seam too close to the quarters.

20. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Well-Known Member

I usually err on the side of slightly too big. Alden makes a full leather insole which can be used to eat up some of the room. I am 8.25d myself and go with the 8d in the barrie. I also wear an 8.5d in the 5 and 1 lasts.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.