1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

I know. It's funny you should say that. I'm in the middle of getting an MTO together for her, haha. Last time I was at my AE retailer, the SA (female) we were working with had a pair of walnut Daltons made. That was all my wife needed to hear! I figured the RDA event was the perfect time to get a pair made and see how she likes them.

2. jch1

jch1 Well-Known Member

I'm going to say no to burgundy shell/calf Patriots. New question: brown calf patriot firsts for $200 flat, or brown shell patriot seconds for $315?

3. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

For me; I'd pony up the $115 for shell.

4. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Well-Known Member

Rpearlberg, I've found that D's in most lasts (returned McClains, Player's Shoe in 11.5 D) murder my baby toe - if they don't, they're usually too long or hug the top of my foot too tight as well. I've not tried each last, but I haven't found one that fits well in D width. For boots i'd most def up the width one size (not always an option with shoemakers), try on during the evening, and see what's what - if that's an option for you. This may need to be adjusted for seconds you find...
    I have grown fond of the Long Branches in grey - I feel like I've captured an elephant and fashioned boots from its hide!!! [​IMG]

5. SBear

SBear Well-Known Member

shell

6. jch1

jch1 Well-Known Member

Keeping in mind that the seconds may be of "lesser" quality than firsts?

Now that I'm thinking about it further, I have another observation/question. With shell shoes, it's much more common for them to have quite the shine to them if properly taken care of, whereas calf shoes generally don't have a similar shine to them unless the person so desires. I'm curious as to how SFers feel about wearing shell in a more casual environment such as with jeans and chinos. My office is pretty much standard business-casual, and there are times where I feel my cambridges are actually too "formal" (I know there are different schools of thought regarding how formal wingtips are) for my pair of chinos or khakis. Believe it or not, there have been times where I've wished I had a pair of Mcallisters in the new dark burgundy because I feel those would be more appropriate compared to the Cambridges. Do any of you feel this way? Does what I'm saying even make sense? I don't want to pick up a pair of shell patriots and feel like they don't "go" with as much as I'd like. I want to wear them in as many environments as possible.

7. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

I don't think the fact that the Cambridge are shell make them more formal. It is the style of shoe. I don't wear balmorals with jeans. I do, however, wear them to my business casual office with khakis and I think they work with a nice oxford shirt.
    I have quite a few pairs of shell and I wear them all with denim except for the balmorals. Nobody says you have to develop a high shine on shell like most of the members here desire. They usually have a nice, satin glow which is quite appealing.

8. bucksfan

bucksfan Well-Known Member

Shell shoes don't usually have a high shine - more of a "glow." I work in a business casual environment too- though it sounds like it is more formal than yours. Typically, I wear dress pants with or without a jacket Mon-Thurs and chinos or even jeans sometimes on Fridays. I wear most of my shell shoes (except my Park Aves) with most anything. I have been known to wear my burgundy shell MacNeils and Leeds with jeans frequently. I will admit that I don't wear my burgundy Cambridges with chinos frequently, but I have before and didn't feel out of place.

During the summer, I end up wearing loafers mostly, and my shell Patriots (I have burgundy and brown shell Patriots) get worn with anything from shorts to jeans to dress slacks with a sport coat.

9. jungleroller

jungleroller Well-Known Member

Kind of on topic, do you guys know what AE models come in Brown Shell Cordovan?

I know Strand and Patriot.. any others?

[​IMG]

10. bucksfan

bucksfan Well-Known Member

You can get ANY of them in brown shell right now for $505. The AE CEO made an offer to waive the MTO fee for Styleforum members, and there is a sale going on right now which brings the usual $595 price down to $505. Pretty sweet deal.

Edit, to answer your question directly: until recently, AE also included brown shell as a stock option for the Dundee, the Park Ave and the Norwich.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  11. jungleroller

Thanks thats what I was gathering from reading through here.

12. random-adam

random-adam Well-Known Member

My understanding is that all other things being equal, shell cordovan is a less formal material than calfskin. I wear it with jeans on a weekly basis -- in fact, I don't know that I'd wear anything but jeans with my black shell Leeds.

13. cincikid

cincikid Well-Known Member

After my trip to Horween yesterday (will post my reflections in a bit, plus, as a bonus, Nick has kindly offered to take on the questions) I realized that I really like the CXL leather, especially in dark navy and black. This said, does anyone know if AE has any of those in stock for an MTO?

14. jungleroller

I just watched the video on AE's website and found out how close Horween is to me. [​IMG]

15. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

I don't think AE uses much CXL do they?

16. jch1

jch1 Well-Known Member

I've got a pair of North Plattes in CXL.

1 person likes this.
  17. SBear

SBear Well-Known Member

I'm keeping mine to a low shine. The high shine, looking more like patent leather shine, is not for me and looks strange with casual clothes IMO. Just got off the phone from ordering burgundy shell Bradley and I am beyond tapped for shoe budget for a while. They too will get a good low shine. Enough to show depth and get rid of the hazy sheen they would otherwise have but well below the mirror-like finish that could be achieved.

18. cincikid

I've only seen brown, but that's about it.

19. SBear

SBear Well-Known Member

I really like my CXL Bayfields but those are only available (non-MTO) through Lands' End and, I think, only in D width. But, at $260, they are a good deal.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  20. cincikid

I found the answer after a bit of an internet search. Apparently AE does use the CXL for a number of their shoes, Bayfields abnd North Platters including. They do also use both black and brown CXL for the El Paso, which is made in the Dominican Republic. I wonder though whether they might have black CXL for an MTO at the Port Washington warehouse?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.