1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. calidist

calidist Well-Known Member

I have one of AE's burgundy cordovan belts. I like it a lot--I'm in fact wearing it today with some Color 8 Aldens. They are made in the US of Horween cordovan. The width is perfect is me (somewhere between 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 I'd guess). It can be hard to find properly wide belt these days given the trend towards slimmer belts. Mine has held up very well and required virtually no maintenance. Keep in mind though that AE has recently deepened the color of their burgundy shell, so make sure the belt is the shade you want--the newer belts may be the darker shade. Otherwise, I really like Kleinberg belts and they have a burgundy calf shade that matches the older AE burgundy shell shade pretty well.

1 person likes this.
  2. tietherope

tietherope Well-Known Member

What's the price on calf Dundees? I'd be interested in a pair.

3. green garden

green garden Well-Known Member

I have the same sizing. I'm 8D in 5 last and 8.5C in 1 last. I'm 8.5C in the Brannock for reference.

4. Buddy0329

Buddy0329 Well-Known Member

I'm in deep.

I ordered the Dalton's in burgundy cordovan. That's in addition to the brown cordovan Jefferson & Patriot webgems.

You guys are enablers!

5. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

Alright.

I think I gave up on the idea of buying dress boots for bad weather because really... why would I buy something to destroy it like that. Chances are I'll pick something up for kicking around town someday, but for now I'm figuring out which pair of black AE boots to pick up.

I already have daltons, so should I get the dark chocolate pair or black? Or does a fiftth street in black make more sense. Basically I'm going to get something that I can wear with jeans or to work. I will be wearing these with boring... I mean black... pants as well.

6. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

I already have daltons, so should I get the dark chocolate pair or black? Or does a fiftth street in black make more sense. Basically I'm going to get something that I can wear with jeans or to work. I will be wearing these with boring... I mean black... pants as well.

That's tough. I would say the black fifth street for work with black pants, but I wouldn't wear them with denim. Personally.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  7. SBear

SBear Well-Known Member

Not sure what you mean by already having Daltons then asking about chocolate or black. The 5th street are pretty dressy and I wouldn't wear them with jeans, especially not in black. If you have Daltons, then I think I'd suggest the Dundee for variety - maybe there are seconds available in your size. The options narrow fast when you ask for black boots for work and you already have Daltons. The options are basically Dalton, 5th Street, and Dundee shell looking at the AE web site unless your work is casual enough that you can get away with the Promontory Point.

8. DHD28

DHD28 Well-Known Member

$350 if done thru Allison. 1st quality Calf versions are only available thru MTO. You might be able to get seconds in Calf.

9. tietherope

tietherope Well-Known Member

Thanks, saved me a phone call. I have yet to see any calf seconds.

10. Mulligan142

Mulligan142 Member

Just received my cappuccino shell Mcallister 2nds and am a bit disappointed. Shoe looks great, but one pair has pretty glaring fold and discoloration as evident in the pics below. Is this something that can be fixed? Would return these but cappuccino is hard to find at the moment. Would appreciate your thoughts, thanks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. rxcats

rxcats Well-Known Member

I plan on buying 3 pairs of AE during the Rediscover America sale this year. I already have Dalton (dark brown), McAllister (walnut), Delray (brown suede) and Neumok Wingtip (red and olive). I plan on getting Strand in bourbon and Broadstreet in walnut/bone. I generally hate black shoes and only wear them when necessary. The only black shoes I own are a pair of very dusty Kenneth Coles that I bought last minute (at DSW) for a evening wedding. I am embarrassed to wear them, but don't want to spend a lot of money on shoes I will get very little use out of. I noticed that AE has a shoe called New Haven that comes in black. It looks similar to the Fifth Avenue (at least in the picture) except that it is a blucher rather than a balmoral. I am wondering if this would do for the very occasional evening wedding or funeral. I sent allaboutshoes an instant message inquiring about his Rediscover America prices for all of the above shoes, but am on the fence about which black shoes to buy.

12. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Well-Known Member

Those look bad… real bad!

13. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

^^ For all the seconds on here that you can't even tell they're seconds...there is no doubt they are seconds. Bad luck of the draw.

14. SBear

SBear Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

15. bucksfan

bucksfan Well-Known Member

I have the Bradley in burgundy shell. Great shoe, comfortable, good looking IMO. I wear them wi anything that isn't a suit. Charcoal grey, blue, brown, etc. I wear them as much as any of my other shoes - I keep them in rotation year round.

16. bucksfan

bucksfan Well-Known Member

I have two "tab" shell cordovan belts. The tabs are basically the places where they sew the pieces of shell together.

I also have polished cobbler (corrected grain) belts for use with suits, since the cordovan belts are more casual.

17. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Well-Known Member

Agree. I've gotten seconds before and could never tell what was wrong with the shoes. This is very obvious, I'd cut the lost and return them

18. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Well-Known Member

I may get in trouble for saying this but you can post your size and what you're looking for, your location. I'm sure there are plenty of ppl here would check their closets

19. Buddy0329

Buddy0329 Well-Known Member

Seeing this picture single-handedly led me to purchasing shell Dalton's today. They looked so epic I just could not resist.

20. Shawnc

Shawnc Well-Known Member

At that price point I would have jumped at them. Nice pick-up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.