1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmmtttt

mmmtttt Well-Known Member

Anyone has experience with the Amok ? Looking at a size comparison with the 5 last, not too sure if I should size up, width up or just take the same size.

2. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

The webgem offer will expire when the sale starts.

3. Larson McCord

Larson McCord Well-Known Member

Th
    ey really need to make these a regular part of their lineup. Just a great looking shoe.

1 person likes this.
  4. ckylegrimes

ckylegrimes New Member

Thanks, that's good info. I was a bit surprised by the stark contrast in sizing from my normal casual shoes, like vans. The fairfaxes are my first pair of nicer dress shoes, the next nicest would be like some Eccos that I used to wear, and I wear like a 9.5-10 in those too. Onteresting

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  5. tietherope

tietherope Well-Known Member

But my point is that the Strand shell is usually what, $595? Take off 15% for the sale and you end up with $505.75, which is cheaper than the webgem.

6. cincikid

cincikid Well-Known Member

I'd go one size up.

7. charliebrown2

charliebrown2 Well-Known Member

reposting my question from earlier:

I already have brown suede malverns (chukkas) and tan suede amoks...would it be overkill to get the amok in brown suede as well? I LOVE the weight (or lack thereof) of the amoks.

8. BCer

BCer Well-Known Member

I too get great comments when wearing my fairly new rough McNeils I scooped from a fellow member here. Love them! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. cincikid

Interestingly, a pair pretty much identical to your walnut shell MacNeils (albeit a bit lighter) and also with the natural welt just showed up on eBay. I wonder if this also was a special makeup that didn't pass the inspection or whether AE used to make a similar design at some point? Sadly, they are 12EEE.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALLEN-EDMON...8552619?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item53fdb17b2b

10. tietherope

tietherope Well-Known Member

On the positive side of buying it: If you want an Amok in brown you're running out of time to get one. It will extend the life of your Malverns by splitting the duty between the two.

Negative side: The money could be used to fill a hole in your rotation.

11. Winston S.

Winston S. Well-Known Member

When I used to wear mine more I used get a lot of compliments also. I also have a pair of burgundy shell MacNeils. I don't think getting a pair of brown shell MacNeils is overkill.

The webgem is showing as $545 right now. I think peppercorn's point is that you wouldn't be able to get the brown shell Strand after the webgem is over.

2 people like this.
  12. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Yep. But with the 25$ shoe trees thrown in.

13. drbhrb

drbhrb Well-Known Member

Hmm, I'm usually 11.5EEE but I am a 12EEE on the brannock. How is the macneil last?

14. polojock615

polojock615 Well-Known Member

Those w
    Those were mine! There's a wave in the leather on the inner outside of the left shoe. I was told they were out of spec so they sent me a replacement pair. I ordered them right before Paul's MTO program began.

15. drbhrb

drbhrb Well-Known Member

How bad is the wave?

16. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Well-Known Member

Those pics of the "rough" Macneils has me wondering if there are any casual wingtip bluchers in the current lineup that I'm missing. There's the Banchory but I'm not a huge fan of those. I have a pair of Elgins that I wear casually and may grab a McTavish at some point but I feel like the blucher style for a casual shoe is more my thing and I don't think there's anything attractive in the current lineup.

17. masernaut

masernaut Well-Known Member

You're right that chilli is a darker colour. Sorry for not making "casual" clear; it will be perfectly fine with dark jeans and a button-up as well as a dress shirt/sportcoat/dress pant combo. I wouldn't advise wearing it with a suit.

18. polojock615

polojock615 Well-Known Member

N

Noticeable, but only to the wearer. Nothing that should affect structural integrity.

19. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Well-Known Member

I too saw those. EEE is a bit wide for me. They are sharp looking though. I know I love my Walnut Shell Macneils.

20. cincikid

Amazing how small the AE world is! I wonder how they ended up on eBay, moreover given the seller is in Georgia?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.