1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. USAmade

USAmade Member

I called our local AE store and they looked up inventory in the Walnut shell Dalton for me in seconds, and said it was showing $539 for the seconds price. I had them order some black shelll seconds daltons earlier in the week and they came up 299. I could be wrong (or they could...)

2. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Anybody have a Strawfut? Just got some and found they fit pretty generous. Thoughts?

Talking of which:

Number of pairs of AE shoes in my room yesterday: 1

Number of pairs of AE shoes in my room today: 5

Oops. :)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  3. mloboe

mloboe Member

Long time reader, first time poster. Just thought I'd share this recent Nordstrom Rack find. The model name is Schautal, same as the tan suede version posted here a while back. But this appears to be in the Rough Collection leather. Got them for $229
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Well-Known Member

Loads of new clearance items, including shoes I have never seen before and others that haven't been sold as firsts for a long time.

5. patrick_b

patrick_b Well-Known Member

I bought some shell patriots a few days before the $299 sale. They were $360 as well. By the time they shipped (yesterday, Friday) the $299 sale was in place. I figured it can't hurt to ask them to give me the $299 price retroactively. Think I'm asking too much?

6. tietherope

tietherope Well-Known Member

Being just a few days and the fact they shipped after the sale started I personally don't think that is asking too much at all.

7. SBear

SBear Well-Known Member

Not at all, ask for it. There are similar stories in this thread and I believe it is very likely they will honor the sale price.

8. drbhrb

drbhrb Well-Known Member

As I'm new to cordovan I'm not entirely sure how to care for them. I looked up the mac method but I have a question - is it ok to use the same brush I use on my calf shoes? It probably has some conditioned and polish residue on it.

9. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Cordovan is expensive. Brushes are cheap. Do the math.

10. mloboe

mloboe Member

Here's a slightly better pic.
    [​IMG]

11. bucksfan

bucksfan Well-Known Member

I'd use a separate brush.

12. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Well-Known Member

Another cordovan question here. Picked up my Burgundy Shell daltons today, and overall, I am very very pleased with them. I do, however, think that they look a little bit lack luster right now. Not very much in the way of a shine on them, I might even describe them as dull.

Should I use the AE cordovan cream I got with them right away (ie, before or after first wearing) or should I just wear them out a bit first? I am looking to get a little bit more of a shine on them. I have already worn them around the house a little bit, and put about an hour of brushing into them.

13. BootSpell

BootSpell Well-Known Member

I have these boots as well and love them. I haven't worn them too many times and they definitely have more of a matte finish than say Alden #8. There've been lots of discussions about AE shell vs Alden shell. I personally am not one that likes really shiny boots so I haven't tried to improve the shine on them.

Read back through this thread or maybe the Official Shoe Care Thread. Some have used Renomat or just Reno multiple times to get the polish that AE uses off the shell. Just to strip it all off and then apply their own polish to improve the shine.

If you're patient, I think they'll get shinier as you wear them and brush them continuously. That's what happened to my walnut shell Daltons.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  14. bucksfan

bucksfan Well-Known Member

A pic might help. I use a damp rag followed by brushing for new shell. I repeat until no more color comes off on the rag. If after that it needs some more shine, you then start adding very small amounts of polish or one of the creams meant for shell.

15. dahl5yankees

dahl5yankees Well-Known Member

I picked up a pair of AE shoes
    and wondered if they're Shell Cordovan.

Belgium model plain toe oxfords

Anyone know if this model was Shell?

16. mezentius

mezentius Well-Known Member

Hi all;

Just bought a pair of Chukkamoks in Navy on clearance from the webstore, very comfy and I'm quite happy with the styling, not to mention the price. So happy that I went back and looked for a pair in tan leather as well - but they were out of my size, 10.5 D. Does anyone know if they'll restock or if there are viable alternatives?

17. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

I use separate brushes for polish and no polish. I have separate brushes for light and dark shell as well.
    I would pick up some bushes, personally.

18. Shiny

Shiny Well-Known Member

Those are sweet. Double sole? However, I did some digging and they don't come in brown. Just black and walnut. I think that AEs walnut looks too orangy. I'd even take some lighter brown like chestnut or something. Any other candidates?

19. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Well-Known Member

Probably not, maybe call an outlet and see if there is a 2nd available

20. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

E brushes are $10. Buy a few and label them with duct tape; that's what I do...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.