• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Coolarrow, I know your comment was made with respect to the OP, so don't take this in the wrong way. After 22yrs of service Shoeluv has surely earned the right to "slouch a little". I'm just going to present the other side of the coin.

It's true- no one is grading him- but having a high gloss shine is a point of pride for us. We have spent many many hours over many many years getting our shoes to look the way they do. It is something that is not easy thing to let go.

(Now days most people wear plastic corfam shoes, and the USN now offers suede boots. I still wear polished leather boots.
The USMC have zero polishable shoes now- no leather boots - no leather dress shoes. I think the Army is all plastic now too.
I'm an old-timer now so I still wear my original boot camp issued leathers - I get many comments on my shoes and they look better than any corfam.)

It's just an old-school military thing.

To the Shoeluv's point- I used heat to bake my wax and now it's just upkeep. I don't think I'd hit my AEs with a lighter, so I'd go with lots of light layers of Kiwi over many days. Apply and wait 30min- do another layer, etc.
Did not mean to denigrate anyone's service. Thanks for your service and sacrifice. I have a few military members in my family (mostly retired).

I had to google "corfam" as I didn't know what that was. When I saw them, I didn't know it was a synthetic material. I thought the military always did patent leather.

Being in the tech consulting/govt contracting business, I see a lot of ex military come and go and they stick out esp. with the casual like atmosphere of the work environment. They are always ramrod straight and are sharply pressed with excessively shiny shoes. A lot of yessirs and yes maams. My advice was to slouch a little and try to fit in more. I guess old habits die hard, if ever. Thanks, again.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the reply. I do like the idea of the getting burgundy instead of black; my only concern was matching the charcoal suit with proper color shoes. My office isn't too conservative so the walnut would be fine. I really like the mcallisters, would you advice getting both burgundy and walnut mcallisters or getting a different design?

I am going to suggest burgundy McAllister and walnut (or bourbon) Strands.

Chris

AdamAdam

Reaction score
What about a burgundy (merlot) pair instead of the black? You have the black covered with the captoes you already own. I just picked up a pair of merlot McAllister and find that they go with everything. You can wear them with your gray and charcoal suits and go with the walnut for the navy. Merlot and burgundy are available in other AE models as well. I also have a pair of walnut McAllister and I love them and they look great with navy. I will warn you however that they are a little "flashy". If your office environment is more conservative you may want to keep that in mind. Mine is not and I can get away with it and get comments all the time on the walnut.

BTW, if you do decide on another black pair, like you, I happen to like the Strand in black as well. The other black shoes are boring to me. Once I discovered merlot / burgundy I figured that was the way to go. If I need a pair of black captoe I'll wait for a great sale or get a less expensive brand just to have.

AdamAdam

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I do like the idea of the getting burgundy instead of black; my only concern was matching the charcoal suit with proper color shoes. My office isn't too conservative so the walnut would be fine. I really like the mcallisters, would you advice getting both burgundy and walnut mcallisters or getting a different design?

I went with merlot and walnut both in the McAllister but that's because I happen to like a wingtip and AE recently had a sale on McAllisters so I couldn't pass it up. Another poster just suggested merlot McAllister and bourbon Strands. I like the bourbon a lot in the Strand. It's a nice classy brown shoe but not too dark brown. The walnut in the Strand is striking however. I would go to a store if there's one near you because they look different in person than online.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. My TTS is 8D so for the McAllister we went to 7.5E as most have commented is normal. So, on the McTavish I'd go down even lower than that to 7E or 7.5D? My McAllisters are snug so maybe I'll stick with the same size 7.5E and see how that goes. I can go try them on of course but I'm looking at a few from the outlets. I have a good relationship with the SA from my local store and I've bought two pair from him recently but I feel bad going in to try on shoes that I know I will just turn around and buy from the outlet or Amazon.

I wear 10D in PA/Strands but a 9.5D in McTavish. So yes, you would have to go with a 7E.

WICaniac

Reaction score
Coolarrow, I know your comment was made with respect to the OP, so don't take this in the wrong way. After 22yrs of service Shoeluv has surely earned the right to "slouch a little". I'm just going to present the other side of the coin.

It's true- no one is grading him- but having a high gloss shine is a point of pride for us. We have spent many many hours over many many years getting our shoes to look the way they do. It is something that is not easy thing to let go.

(Now days most people wear plastic corfam shoes, and the USN now offers suede boots. I still wear polished leather boots.
The USMC have zero polishable shoes now- no leather boots - no leather dress shoes. I think the Army is all plastic now too.
I'm an old-timer now so I still wear my original boot camp issued leathers - I get many comments on my shoes and they look better than any corfam.)

To the Shoeluv's point- I used heat to bake my wax and now it's just upkeep. I don't think I'd hit my AEs with a lighter, so I'd go with lots of light layers of Kiwi over many days. Apply and wait 30min- do another layer, etc.

None of the services (to my knowledge) dictates the wear of plastic shoes ("corfram," BTW seems to be a corruption of DuPont's proprietary Corfam synthetic leather). Most PX/BX stores carry Bates shoes, which are available in leather and plastic. Almost no one in the military wears real patent leather because it is too expensive (I bought a pair Mayfairs for my tux and will wear them with my dress mess, as well). Junior enlisted are often prohibited from wearing plastic so they can go through the ritual of having to learn to shine shoes (and being told repeatedly that they're not good enough), but come time for parade or other D&C events the plastic shoes are often preferred. Servicemembers who have to wear low-quarters on a daily basis often eschew the plastic shoes because they are sweltering foot saunas. The military today has moved away from shining shoes and boots because it has had far more important things to worry about. In a few years, the garrison mindset and attendant chickens**t will no doubt return, flattering Kiwi's fortunes a little bit. Outside black jump boots as dress uniform items for select units, shineable combat boots are gone forever.

No offense to the OP of this mini-thread, but I would discourage putting a high-gloss shine on any AE save the Mayfairs (which come with one). What looks good/right in uniform often appears quite different out of it (and vice versa). Military dress trousers should have no break at all, whereas other trousers are supposed to have a moderate break. Sleeve length on military dress jackets is also much longer than it ought to be on a civilian coat or jacket. Finally, it's possible to have long hair and a beard and be impeccably groomed--and professional looking--on the outside. If you want a high-gloss shine on a pair of Strands, more power to you, but I don't think it would look right.

Last edited:

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've found the same using AE premium polish. I'll work in some Kiwi. A few questions... Do you still use the AE polish for color match first and then throw some clear Kiwi on top for shine? Something like black wouldn't be an issue but I have merlot AE polish for my merlot AE shoes and I'm guessing that Kiwi doesn't offer a matching polish. Also, some said that a waxy polish will leave residue in the creases on calf. Any truth to that?

Suede boots?! Sigh... I never would let anyone wear those ugly corfam’s in the Engineering spaces nor firefighting, can you imagine how long it would take for those plastic things to melt on your feet if a Class Bravo fire broke out? Another thing that a paste wax provides that creams and less polished shoes doesn’t is protection. I can just wipe off my polished calf after being exposed to snow and rain and am good to go until I get home to take proper care of them. On the other hand my casual dress work days consist of a jacket and tie and that makes a difference too in what shoes I wear. A few days back I posted a picture of a pair of boots that are 30 years old and spent the first 10 years being exposed to jet fuel, diesel fuel marine, fires, firefighting foam and agents, hydraulic fluids, and salt water. I wore them this last weekend cutting downed trees and branches in the yard from the last snowfall with the chainsaw because they have steel toes. Even though they are made by the cheapest bidder they keep on ticking because they have been well cared for. Not long ago I read an article that shell can last up to 30 years. I sure hope so LOL.

DerangedGoose

Reaction score
Ordered from Jefferson outlet on friday, havent received any emails and it doesnt look like Ive been charged yet...should I call them back to confirm?

Edit: Kristle called me and said the only chukkamok seconds left had a small stain of what might be grease on the toebox, but that I can keep it at a discount if its not too bad so Ill give it a try. If its not grease I might be able to get it out...any suggestions?

Last edited:

David Copeland

Reaction score
I just bought some 5th Aves. I spent 22 years in the military and could shine shoes so you needed sun glasses to look at them. My 5th Avenues I put 12 coats of the AE Brown cream and got a light shine. It is kind of annoying too, that much work should have made them glow. I am going to get a wax and try that. I am scared to use some of my army tricks like coating the shoe with kiwi and running a lighter over the shoe to melt the wax in. I will try just spit shining with a wax polish, I just ordered the AE wax and will report back after a few hours with that.

Many of us have switched from the AE brands to the Saphir Brands. A mirror polish is easily achievable with your military discipline using the Saphir Brand products and recommended process:

SAPHIR MIRROR SHINE

As seen in the reflection of the toe, the Saphir Tin.

More here:

http://www.hangerproject.com/shoe-care-guide/high-gloss-vs-matte-patina.html

and

http://www.hangerproject.com/shoe-care-guide/presidential-shoe-shine.html

shartmann

Reaction score

Great post AmericanGent. I know the Corframs were supposed to be easier to maintain, but I was never able to get myself to wear them. I didn't like the shine and the fit was even worse, and wearing a stiff pair of plastic shoes just felt odd. You are correct that some things stick with you. I still wear a white cotton t-shirt every day, my hair rarely touches my ears, and I like all-leather shoes -- and I've been out of the Navy for over 15 years. I still try to keep my shoes inspection ready, and although I don't really desire a mirror shine on my shoes it's nice to know I could do it.

Last edited:

MrWN

Reaction score
What about a burgundy (merlot) pair instead of the black? You have the black covered with the captoes you already own. I just picked up a pair of merlot McAllister and find that they go with everything. You can wear them with your gray and charcoal suits and go with the walnut for the navy. Merlot and burgundy are available in other AE models as well. I also have a pair of walnut McAllister and I love them and they look great with navy. I will warn you however that they are a little "flashy". If your office environment is more conservative you may want to keep that in mind. Mine is not and I can get away with it and get comments all the time on the walnut.

I am in a similar situation.

Purchased a pair of McAllisters in walnut recently. Then I saw the merlot color in person and it's quite sexy.

Now I cannot decide on which color; merlot that is versatile with other colors or walnut that is only good with practically navy and grey.

Is it okay to wear merlot with black pants?

Last edited:

denverbizman42

Reaction score
Shartmann,

I think it's awesome you still pay attention to all of those details. I really always looked up so much to those in the military in my home town. There was an automatic amount of respect that was given to those who were representing and defending our Country. And then to see the attention to detail in every way, just really I think inspired me and others to try to live up to that standard too. So really just a thanks.

AmericanGent

Reaction score

Great post AmericanGent. I know the Corframs were supposed to be easier to maintain, but I was never able to get myself to wear them. I didn't like the shine and the fit was even worse, and wearing a stiff pair of plastic shoes just felt odd. You are correct that some things stick with you. I still wear a white cotton t-shirt every day, my hair rarely touches my ears, and I like all-leather shoes -- and I've been out of the Navy for over 15 years. I still try to keep my shoes inspection ready, and although I don't really desire a mirror shine on my shoes it's nice to know I could do it. 

I've enjoyed the chat! My dad was in the Navy too and he had me shining my shoes before church when I was 10! He was only in the Navy for 4 years during Vietnam, but he has kept his shoes, hair, mustache, everything- inspection ready ever since. It changes you, and that's OK.
I don't want to side-track the thread any longer, but I appreciate everyone's positive, gentlemanly replies. That's why this is my favorite thread. Well, that and Cold Iron's shell pics!

Back to the shoes!

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've enjoyed the chat! My dad was in the Navy too and he had me shining my shoes before church when I was 10! He was only in the Navy for 4 years during Vietnam, but he has kept his shoes, hair, mustache, everything- inspection ready ever since. It changes you, and that's OK.
I don't want to side-track the thread any longer, but I appreciate everyone's positive, gentlemanly replies. That's why this is my favorite thread. Well, that and Cold Iron's shell pics!

Back to the shoes!
Thank you for the compliment AG. I too started polishing my father's shoes when I was about 10, it was my job every Saturday night. My father wasn't able to get in the military because he lost a kidney at a fairly young age boxing but always wanted to join.

Not to keep this too far off track but I am going to have to send you another care package. When I was on recruiting duty (not much for a pit snipe to do on land) back in the mid 80's in Pa. I picked up some posters that I have been carrying around since. And I give them out to the people that understand them. I'll send you one and anyone else that served in the Navy and so did their father, just send me a PM

Pastor

Reaction score
I was in the USMC from 1999-2003. We still had leather boots which which were expected to be mirror polished but for dress uniforms we had the plastic shoes. As I was leaving they were switching to the suede boots. I imagine kiwi took a big hit when this happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics