1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Well-Known Member

Anyone have any info on the AE Mojave? Just saw it on the AE web site. Unlined Chukka with what looks like a crepe sole, on a new boot last. Comes in three suedes and brown leather. Very interesting. And I was just looking for a chukka....

2. jch1

jch1 Well-Known Member

What color are the Saunders? Could you post some pics?

3. jch1

jch1 Well-Known Member

I'd love to see these- thanks in advance!

4. evolved

evolved Well-Known Member

They look nice, but $350 for an unlined chukka with a crepe sole that's not shell? Just go with a pair of Clarks for $100. Mine have been bulletproof.

5. Nakedsnake

I agree that $350 is steep. I have, however, never been a big fan of the clarks version. The stance of the eyelets always seemed off to me. I'll wait till these have a deep discount as seconds during some sale, and might try and pair then

6. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

While taking a look at the Mojaves, I noticed that those split toe boots AE added aren't on the boots page anymore. What gives?

7. drcharlie

drcharlie Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if the Brooks Brothers Presidio available on the 2nds sale is the one on the brooksbrothers website called "Penny Loafers", item # MH00026, with an MSRP of $368? The "Penny Loafers" on the BB website have a leather sole with the BB 3X triple stripe repp toppy. The Allen Edmonds Presidio loafers had a rubber sole. The BB "Penny Loafers" look really nice if they can be had for $109 in the 2nds sale. Also, does anyone know how to fit the Brooks Brothers Presidio. I was thinking that I would go with my same length as the Park Ave/Strand but go one size wider in width.

8. NWTeal

NWTeal Well-Known Member

Wine looks awesome. I'd be interested in seeing how shiny they are in person.

9. rpearlberg

rpearlberg Well-Known Member

No seconds available for Long Branch Dark Brown in 11D. They offered 20% off the firsts...

I wonder if I could get away with a different size in these, or take them up on the offer....

I'm 11D in Strand and Fifth Ave which are a little snug in the ball of my feet, but not uncomfortable.

10. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Well-Known Member

Never sacrifice fit for a discount. I guarantee you'll regret it later and sell the shoes at a loss. I've made the mistake.

11. rpearlberg

rpearlberg Well-Known Member

Thanks! I just meant that maybe the Long Branch would fit differently...

12. cincikid

cincikid Well-Known Member

Except for the crepe sole and two additional colors (can't speak of the last), they look virtually identical to the Amoks which are still available for $99. Even if you were to resole the Amoks with the crepe sole at J Nelson right out of the box, that would still be around $220 for pair.

13. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Well-Known Member

Wow...I was floored by how ridiculous this shoe looked when I first saw the blue version, but the wine is pretty nice and the brown is gorgeous.

Wine:
    [​IMG]

Brown:
    [​IMG]

14. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

You have a great looking family which is well taken care of. The work on your Bayfield's really has paid off. I'm thinking it was a picture of your Long Branch's in an airport not long ago that made me a double take. First picture of the Long Branch that really tempted me to consider a pair, they looked like they could glow in the dark. I already own so many wingtips though. Thanks for sharing and wear them all in good health and much pride.

15. Nakedsnake

That is pretty much exactly what I was thinking. But I have been trying to get my hands on a pair of Amok's for almost a month, and no one has anything left in my size, in any of the colors, in either firsts or seconds. Was really hoping for a snuff suede in 12D. Nothing. at $100, it's a great deal

16. Cold Iron

Interesting, I can see what your talking about from the picture especially in the creases. I think it was Big Al in Philly that had the same thing except with many layers of Saphir and it was really bad until he stripped them down. It is almost like the polish is not penetrating into the leather at all but sitting on top and is being pushed out of the creases. While Saphir cream and other creams have a tendency to penetrate deeper than polish I have found that the Saphir polishes usually penetrates some and are more even in color than other wax polishes. When darkening shoes I have noticed that the creases have a tendency to show lighter sometimes but seldom to that extend with Saphir. Until now.

17. Cold Iron

I am a 10D on the 5 last, of which I have quite a few in both calf and shell. My Elgin, Black Hills, and McTavish are all 9.5D and fit pretty much identical to my 10D 5 lasted regular AE shoes. My McTavish are the natural tan, not sure if the leather color should matter though. There can be some variance in the finished shoe fit sometimes even on the same model shoe. Or it could be that my foot has enough room in it that just works for me and there is a difference with the McTavish? If there is it can't be by much.
    This is GREAT advice in my experience.

18. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Well-Known Member

The stock photos of the bourbon Dalton have been loaded to the website. I'll post my own photos later today once I receive my pair of 2nds.

[​IMG]

19. Winston S.

Winston S. Well-Known Member

You're going to have a tough time finding shell chukkas for $350 anywhere unless they are seconds, close outs, or deeply discounted.

20. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Well-Known Member

FedEx came early. Here are my bourbon Dalton 2nds straight out of the box. Can't really find any major defects yet! VERY HAPPY! In the 3rd picture thought I might as well show these off in front of my own bourbon. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.