1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Hmmmm. I'm thinking cappuccino Leeds with a natural or bown welt. I had wanted a split toe, but I'm not a huge fan of AE's split toe.

2. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Well-Known Member

does anyone have the MTO procedure handy that they can copy onto this page? I know it was posted quite some time ago, but would rather not dig through dozens of pages..

thanks in advance [​IMG]

3. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

IN for that info as well...

4. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Well-Known Member

I love AE, but there is absolutely no reason for them to not have REAL pictures of REAL people wearing REAL shoes on their website. When It comes to getting legit pictures of their shoes STYLEFORUM is far more reliable than the allen edmonds website.

I find myself loving a pair of shoes in a certain color, but in the back of my mind i'm always thinking, "well, I know this shoe looks different than this in reality, I wonder what it looks like for real? I guess I'll go check on styleforum.net to see if anyone has any pics of this shoe in this color."

Allen edmonds customer service is outstanding, but there is one glaring hole. You would think they would spend the time and money to put up a quality website that accurately represents their shoes. As it stands their website is a tremendous disservice to their many loyal customers.

5. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Well-Known Member

^You could just go to the store and see them in person (as you should--leather qualities and last shapes are difficult to discern from photos)...not like AEs are hard to find

All shoemakers' direct estores have shopped photos: Alden, AS, C&J, Carmina, G&G, John Lobb, etc. etc. Mountain out of a molehill, here.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  6. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Well-Known Member

Is it ok to use mink oil (water proofing) on your shoes and still use polish to shine them? One won't affect the other?

Anyone here use mink oil on all their shoes?

7. tampatravel

tampatravel Well-Known Member

One thing AE could do is let us post photos of our shoes on the respective pages. I know they let you do that on the review pages but those are kind of hidden and harder to find and let's be honest those pics on there are of people complaining about their shoes. Maybe some "in the wild" pics would really give a better idea of the true color and texture of the shoes. This wouldn't cost a lot to do. Maybe a "see theses in the wild" button would work.

8. David Copeland

David Copeland Well-Known Member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    When I was first introduced to Allen Edmonds shoes, it was at a full size department store where I was able to feel and try on a host of different styles and colors. AE shoes and boots are typically a satin shine and not the spit-shine. The satin shine lends itself to a natural "new look" rather than a look that someone went beyond what AE originally produced.

As for web site pictures, I use Google Images a lot - and many times you can find real people wearing AE.

But one leading retailer did have a real person (model) wearing an AE selection. And it was from that particular photo that sold me.

Here it is:

[​IMG]

ALLEN EDMONDS LONG BRANCH BOOT
    (as originally posted at www.nordstoms.com)

9. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Well-Known Member

I have that exact Leeds on order if the can ever pass inspection

10. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Well I just sent an email with that request so I'll see what they say. I think it will make a great shoe. Great minds think alike!

11. wilbromarshall

wilbromarshall Active Member

100% agree. Could be simple enough to tie your personal pics to your user profile and then make those pics available in a specific customer section.

12. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

#firstworldproblems
    I wish my wife would "bug" me to purchase more shoes hah. Better listen to her this time before its too late.

13. chinngiskhaan

by my estimation the websites belonging to other shoemakers have pictures that are far more accurate representations of their shoes. Whereas the Allenedmonds.com pictures are clearly not photos at all. They are more like a digital re-creation of the shoe than an actual photo.

clearly going to a store is the best way, but going to a store where I live means devoting an entire day to looking at some shoes that I may or may not buy. Also, when I spend $350+ on shoes I like to take my time, and think about my prospective purchase, a process that for me takes weeks if not months. I spend an hour or two every day weighing my shoe options, and it's hard to come to a conclusion when I know in the back of my mind that the pictures I'm looking at are not pictures at all.

I feel very uncomfortable going to a store and meticulously comparing all of the shoes. Couple that with the fact that most of the shoes and colors that I want to try on/inspect/compare are not even available at the store that makes going to the store an impractical option for a full time worker, student, husband, and father of a newborn child.

Real pictures of real shoes, and possibly with real people wearing them. Is that too much to ask???

I want to know what the shoes really look like, not what the fine men and women at Allen Edmonds want me to think this looks like. Either stock the stores with all models and colors, or put real pictures on the website. I don't feel like this is too much to ask. Other websites have real photos of the shoes, why can't allen edmonds have real photos too?

I'm not upset about this, but I think it's a reasonable request, and something that wouldn't be a difficult, or cost intensive option.

14. chinngiskhaan

what if they offered a 10$ (or some other reasonable amount) off coupon for anyone who posted a pic of their shoes on the website upon receiving them?

15. cincikid

cincikid Well-Known Member

And why would they want to do it?

16. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Well-Known Member

I mean...there is free shipping both ways. On top of that, I think that the AE site is actually the most honest of all the major shoe companies. To Boot New York? Antonio Maurizi? Those are the sites I would agree need some more realistic pictures. If I remember correctly, the thread covered this very issue not too long ago...and actually came to the opposite conclusion. I am with you that perhaps the main picture might look a bit photoshopped, however, the remaining profile, overhead, rear, and quarter shots are pretty accurate. Also, you can check out Zappos which has videos of pretty much all of AE's shoes.

17. polojock615

polojock615 Well-Known Member

So it was nice and sunny in SoCal today and I decided to take my shell on a field trip. I'm sure anyone who passed by was wondering what kind of grown man takes pictures of his shoes.

Here are my shell shoes:

[​IMG]

The ever-popular walnut shell cordovan. For those of you who wondered what the difference is between walnut and cappuccino, take a look at the Shelton on the right:

[​IMG]

The difference between Cappuccino on the left and Brown on the right. There does not to be much difference between these two pairs, but remember there is variation between even the same color of shell. It's hard to explain, but my cappuccino shell glows almost "golden" in person.

[​IMG]

The three MacNeils:
    [​IMG]

New burgundy on the left, vs. old burgundy on the right.
    [​IMG]

From left to right: brown, cappuccino, walnut, ndew burgundy, old burgundy, black.
    [​IMG]

Now the only real question is: can I ship all of them to Cold Iron so he can shine them so they actually glow like his?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
    5 people like this.
  18. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Beautiful collection! Makes me want some cappuccino and walnut shell AE even more.

19. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

Great pics!! I really prefer the old burgundy. There is more depth of color and richness to me

20. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Well-Known Member

Another vote for "old" burgundy. I prefer red to eggplant. I wonder if persistent application of the Mac process is alt to bring out more red over time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.