1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. green garden

green garden Well-Known Member

Great story. More power to Mr. Grangaard and team!

2. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Well-Known Member

I'm interested in a pair of Strawfut. Should I go with the same size as I wear in other 5-last shoes (McAllister)? Does the linen change sizing at all?

3. cincikid

cincikid Well-Known Member

I got the free shipping using an iPhone app. I'd call Sierra and ask to wave it.

4. DHD28

DHD28 Well-Known Member

As a relatively new owner of grown up shoes I was under the assumption that mirror shines are more easily obtainable on Cordovan shoes than Calfskin. But thank you for the clarification.

5. hohneokc

hohneokc Well-Known Member

I bought my Strawfuts in the same size as my other 5-last shoes and they fit the same.

I have the brown/navy mesh version. From my understanding, the linen is a bit different as the linen has leather linings while the mesh is mesh only. However, I would think they would fit the same.

Chris

6. David Copeland

David Copeland Well-Known Member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    Original? Hmmm . . . how they have changed:

[​IMG]

7. deburn

deburn Well-Known Member

12.90 is the regular price at the Rack, not the sale price

8. David Copeland

David Copeland Well-Known Member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    Major, major sale probably after Christmas and New Years. Super sale is more like once a year in late July.

What are you looking for? Sometimes www.6pm.com has great deals on firsts.

All my best,

David

9. Close Hoarse

Close Hoarse Well-Known Member

I have the Strawfut in linen and black mesh. I find the fit to be identical, and very comfortable.

CH

10. Shiny

Shiny Well-Known Member

Hey guys,
    I can't believe I beat my main man, Dave Copeland, about the upcoming Labor day 2nds sale. Just got the postcard today. Runs from Aug 22 to Sept 2. Walnut Cliftons for $179 :bounce2: . That's one fine shoe. Anyway, here's pix I took of the postcard. I think it's clear enough, but if not I can type out the sale prices. Get ur credit cards ready...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Chezteladog

Chezteladog New Member

I picked up a pair of Walnut Strands and a pair of black Park Avenues in the last couple of weeks and now I'm afraid I've got my eye on a pair of Walnut Players I saw at Nordstrom Rack today for $149. They don't appear to be seconds as there is no little burn mark on the sole. I think they are a return. Having a pair of walnut shoes already what would people suggest if I were to see another deal on AE? Darker brown? A different style entirely perhaps? Walnut brogued shoes look pretty similar imo so maybe something more plain? I'm just trying to round out a wardrobe for myself that covers as many bases as possible..

The Players also seem to be less expensive all around the internet. Why is that? Discontinued or not as popular perhaps?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  12. green garden

green garden Well-Known Member

+1 me too on the height. I know it's a personal preference, but I like the proportion of the lower height Naval.

13. DHD28

DHD28 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the post, Shiny!

While those walnut Cliftons look superb, I have my share of walnut kicks. Will probably look into getting some type of Brown or Bourbon blucher next.

14. cincikid

Players is a now discontinued model, but it's a great looking sturdy shoe. I believe Paul Grangaard (AE CEO) once mentioned the history of the shoe either in his blog or on AAAC. If memory serves, it was originally conceived as a gift to the participants of a local (?) golf tournament but eventually made it into the mainstream line. A SA at the AE store once told me that the shoe was pretty popular, but hardly a best-seller. It looked similar enough to McAllister on the dressy side- and McTavish on the casual side of the AE spectrum and I suspect that was why it was eventually discontinued.

Given that you already have a shoe in walnut, I'd probably pass on another one in the same color though. Wait till another sale hits next Wednesday. I'd strongly recommend taking a look at the PTB (plain toe blucher) options. For instance, the Rapid City will be on sale for $159 and it's a great looking shoe--looking much better in person than on the website. Neumok is also a pretty good model, but probably not a wardrobe staple.

15. deburn

deburn Well-Known Member

Depends on how you dress during the week/weekend and what you're trying to accomplish, as well as what other shoes you have. I agree that the Players and Strands in the same color would be too similar. Here are some options to think about:

A burgundy PTB (plain toe blucher), like the Leeds
    A boot like the Dundee or the Dalton in suede, pebblegrain or calf
    A suede pair that isn't a boot
    Loafers

More answers to the questions I posed above will bring more specific suggestions. The PAs and Strands are the most recommended pairs, so you've gotten off to a great start!

16. cincikid

Rapid City is a great looking all-weather shoe. I tried it on at the store in Boston a few weeks ago and I might jump into it at half the price on sale.

17. mdavis534

mdavis534 Well-Known Member

Looking for cordovan strands.

18. tietherope

tietherope Well-Known Member

2 people like this.
  19. Revz

Revz New Member

Hi all,

I would like to seek advise on recommended shoe size for the Carlsbad Penny Loafers. My feet measurements are 26cm long x 10cm wide. Based on AE's shoe fit guide, I'm a 8.5D.

However, I'm lost and confused on what size I should be getting because I've been reading on many different reviews of this model. "Runs small." "Runs long." "Runs narrow." Some even stated that it "Fits true to size." Very confused, I am.

Furthermore, I'm not living in the US. Therefore, visiting an AE store is next to impossible for me. That's why I'm here, seeking help and guidance.

I have tried on this pair of shoe in a 7.5D but it was too small for me and my feet couldn't even go in. I do own a pair of AE Positano in 7D. That's why I thought the 7.5D might be alright for me. That said, I did read that the Positano runs large and, given its all-round weave, it is easier to expand.

Any advise, anyone? I would deeply appreciate ANY help I can get in determining what size I should get.

Many thanks in advance!

20. cincikid

It's on 2 last so it tends to be a bit elongated, but I generally find it to be true to the size. I'd get them in your regular size, but YMMV.

>> My feet measurements are 26cm long x 10cm wide >> Do you realize the US does not even use a metric system? Call AE customer service (it's 1-800 number so you can call them for free from abroad via Skype) and double check.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.