1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Well-Known Member

shameless repost here fellas... your advice would be appreciated

I have a high instep and am wondering which last is best for that. What should I do as far as sizing goes? I measure out at 10 D, the AE guy said I should go to 10 E because of my high instep. Does that sound right? would going to a 10.5 D be a better option?

Also... I have hammer toes and am wondering if any AE users in the forum have dealt with that problem.

2. karryuunf

karryuunf New Member

The Classic Collection is a good start in that direction[​IMG]

3. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Well-Known Member

Do you think that buying dye from Amazon or something and applying it myself would have the same effect that B. Nelson would come back with?

4. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Well-Known Member

You'd have to strip them first then dye. I'd be wary of doing that myself if you're not well-versed.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but this is why a person shouldn't buy shoes just because they're on sale--think about if you'd ever really wear them comfortably and need them. Grey shoes are probably the least versatile color out there, and there's a reason they were on closeout.

5. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Shouldn't need to polish brand new shoes... Maybe buff with a cloth if dusty or anything... Just recommend the break in method of carpet wearing.

6. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

U do realize you are buying AEs, and not G&Gs or EG, or Lobbs right? AE uses 2nd-3rd grade leather tier because they have to at their price point they offer. You are not always going to get a perfect shoe, and need to realize you are not purchasing top of the line tier grade. Don't get me wrong, I own more AE than anything else, because the craftsmanship and price point is excellent for my needs. But please keep in mind, that you can't expect a perfect shoe when only purchasing a shoe that MSRPs at 350$. FYI your shoes are perfectly acceptable in my opinion. The Shoe Snob recently wrote an article on shoe purchase expectations, I highly recommend the read, to put things in perspective. http://www.theshoesnobblog.com/2013/07/managing-your-shoe-purchase-expectations.html#.UgMl82S9Kc0

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Well-Known Member

No; you have never done it before, and chances are your first try probably will not be your finest effort. Moreover, I see no reason why you should try your hand at a new pair of shoes. Granted, black is black, but just as you wouldn't learn tailoring by slicing up a Huntsman suit, I probably wouldn't recommend trying dying on your own brand new pair of shoes. Most cobblers are probably able to do a decent enough dye job; whether you choose B. Nelson or another high-end cobbler is up to you, but I would strongly advise against proceeding yourself.

8. jasonmx3

jasonmx3 Well-Known Member

+1 on this and the Shoe Snob article. Pricing down may also be an option if one wants to get perfect shoes. Machine made shoes are quite consistently made looks-wise (quality is another matter, however).

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  9. Subutai

Subutai Well-Known Member

Hey Temujin,

I can't recommend a particular AE last that would necessarily be better, although I'm sure someone here has that knowledge. I have a relatively high instep as well, but my foot is a bit wide too (I though the two usually went hand in hand) so I go with an E width. Either way, I think a 10E and 10.5 D are the same width. The 10.5D will also just give you length you don't need.

I think the best thing to do would be to focus on bluchers wherever possible rather than balmorals.

10. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

Congrats and I hope they fit well, those are 3 great shoes and you purchased them in the best color for each IMO! Great job.

I agree with Mike on the question about black PA shell vs. Calf. And also care of shell although for final buffing I feel a microfiber cloth does a better job of bringing out a shine.
    Some say that shell has too many rolls to be considered formal, I disagree. Some others have said that black shell doesn't look good over time however I have never seen any pictures to prove that and I am very happy with my black shell. I have several shoes and boots where I purchased different colors of the same model but I have the PA in both black shell and calf. I picked up the calf for bad weather and they are the BB model with poron insoles and I don't care for the larger gap in the lacing that it causes. Every time I put them on I look at them and then put them back in the closet and wear the shell PA's instead. Which has held up just fine through snow and rain. I have yet to wear the calf outside of the house, they have at least an hour of polishing with the final coat in Saphir blue polish. Still dark outside so I couldn't take a picture with good lighting and a cell phone camera can't do a proper job of showing the depth of color that black shell has. Shell in the center and calf flanking on the ends.
    [​IMG]
    My right foot is slightly smaller than left so the right shell shoe does have more rolls than the left which is typical for me. But I have worn them enough that I don't expect any more rolls to develop or become deeper. They are my go to shoe when the occasion calls for a dressier more formal shoe.

11. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

Depends on how high the instep is, but this is good advice if you are struggling to get a good fit with blamorals. I would caution, however, that the D width vs. E width issue is not just about the length you need as the heel on the E width is wider too. My personal experience is to focus on wider D width lasts because my heel swims in E width shoes. I would start with the 5 and 3 lasts and see how they fit.

12. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

I agree with jaywhyy and JermynStreet. A long time ago I used to dye brown pistol belts and holsters black before you could easily purchase them in that color. You have to deglaze and prep the leather first to get even results, yes even black. Someone here in this thread from the San Diego area recently posted that they had a cobbler dye their shoes black and they turned out perfect IMO from the pictures that they posted. That would be hard to do without experience and if I had a pair that I wanted to do that to I would have mine done by his cobbler instead of doing it myself. I had my local cobbler dye a pair of Yuma's so that they were not 2 tone and the results were good but not perfect. It isn't as easy as it seems and not every cobbler does a good job.B. Nelson I would also trust, he did the metal toe taps in my C&J for RL mahogany shell Marlows that I wore yesterday. Like JermynStreet said any cobbler can do a decent enough job it is up to you as to the level of end result that you are expecting to achieve.

13. rpearlberg

rpearlberg Well-Known Member

Which AE shoes are on the 5 and 3 lasts? I'm waiting on a pair of 11E, but worry that the whole shoe will be too wide, as I just need a tad more room around the instep/toe area...

14. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

If you go to the AE website, you can filter your search based on specific lasts and browse through your options.

15. Dnslater

Dnslater Well-Known Member

Chukkamok's just went on clearance for $195 as I was looking for a shoe/boot to wear to work on bad weather days to compliment my nicer leather soled dress shoes. Here is my Tan pair with a fresh coat of mink oil.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm a fan of the Rough collection and also have some Neumok's. They are unlined, so super comfortable and soft out of the box. Only negative is the leather is somewhat thin, especially at the tongue.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  16. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Well-Known Member

Those look great, I love how the mink oil darkened the tan color.

Can you provide a little more info about mink oil? What kind you use and how it's applied? Will you use any other products down the line to clean them?

Thanks in advance for the info!

17. BobStrauss

BobStrauss Well-Known Member

Halp please. My old casual wingtips just died on me - a good looking yet low quality pair of Steve Maddens. The whole sole on the right shoe just split apart. I like the looks of a lot of AE shoes, but really need a pair that will be casual enough to wear with chinos and classic enough not to go out of style in a year or two. Was thinking of the flat iron Oxford in bourbon. But I'm clueless. Any suggestions? Again, it's an everyday shoe to wear with chinos (and a polo usually) to work.

18. chino213

chino213 Member

Hello. So, I bought 2 pairs of McAllisters in size 8 D a while back without knowing my true size which is a 7 D. I was ignorant about proper shoe fitting until a couple days ago :S I wasn't thinking about returning them at the time because i felt that the shoes fit me (can walk comfortably, doesn't feel loose). The only reason why i see this would not fit me is because of where my big toe ends up. I can feel my big toe nail ending right under wing tip brogueing, leaving a good amount of space between my big toe and the front of the shoe. Is this normal? Is the shoe too big for me? If it is, is it a deal breaker for you guys? would you guys go through the hassle on selling these shoes at a substantial amount lower than what you bought it for or keeping them? I only wore these shoes once outside and i'm trying to find some justification in keeping them...

19. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Well-Known Member

Thanks. Nick said he could do it for $70 and it would look good in the end. I'll probably take him up on it. Appreciate all of the feedback.

20. tampatravel

tampatravel Well-Known Member

The ShoeBank had the Ralph Lauren Sanderson's (made by AE) for $159 not too long ago. Those are normally $525 from RL.

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4325812

This is just an idea if you're looking for a wingtip. For the most part, most AE shoes won't go out of style - ever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.