1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

As an 11 3E I can tell you that that's not my experience . The 5 last is painfully narrow, and 3 is just right, and the 4 is even a little too roomy.

2. md2010

md2010 Well-Known Member

delete

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  3. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

+ 1 , very useful information, learning everyday.

4. md2010

md2010 Well-Known Member

Lol. I thought I knew all about shoes(apparently not!). I don’t see the cork foot bed. What I see is a thick leather insole that I thought was cork foot bed. Lol.
    I have ripped off the sock liner. Thank god I did. Have that much needed space inside. Thanks you for you in-depth information’s.
    And removing the insole underneath would be really hard. I would need professional tools. And in removing the insole one would have literally rip off part if not most of their shoes.

Regs
    Ash

5. md2010

md2010 Well-Known Member

6. masernaut

masernaut Well-Known Member

Those look spectacular. Congratulations on the shoes! Unlike other walnut shells I've seen posted, this looks almost exactly like walnut calf. I'm impressed!

7. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Well-Known Member

The Mora 2.0 is finally up on the website!

[​IMG]

8. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Well-Known Member

Those are awesome! Wish I knew about these walnut MTOs since I would totally have ordered a pair of Bayfields. I assume these MTOs for walnut shell are no longer offered?

Light shell is tricky because my experience is they tend to darken in time so maybe they will go away... however, that is a risk though.

9. jch1

jch1 Well-Known Member

Shaker Heights also looks great.

10. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Well-Known Member

Very nice...

11. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Well-Known Member

Then I am relieved for you!!! Indeed, ripping out your insoles would likely need a pair of needle-nose pliers at a minimum. Removing the sock liner is not a problem. The sock liner is primarily there to cover up nails that may be present in the shoes of some manufacturers. Allen Edmonds doesn't drive nails through the insole to secure the heel (I think they may be the only Goodyear-welted manufacturers that don't). Since all Allen Edmonds are 360 degree welted, the stitching is sufficient to secure the heel zone of the shoe. Allen Edmonds doesn't use sock liners in their regular line shoes, and in my opinion, they don't need to. I don't think the comfort difference is enough to warrant it.

For future reference (and to prevent future confusion), here is what you would see if you ripped out your insole from the inside of the shoe:

[​IMG]

This photo is an Allen Edmonds shoe. The white strip is the canvas gemming that is fixed to the bottom of the insole before the shoe is assembled. If you rip out your insole, the gemming would remain embedded in the cork because of the stitches underneath it where the upper and welt are sewn (this is called the inseam). If you had worn your shoes without that strong thick leather insole, the cork and gemming would have started to squash up and become sloppy.

Here is another photo that is useful for illustration:

[​IMG]

This is a cross section of an Allen Edmonds that has been cut in half. Here you are seeing the cork space under the insole after the insole has been pried up and the cork has been scraped out. You can see the white canvas gemming is just floating there. The upper and welt is stitched to it (as you see down in the bottom right corner of the shoe), but the cork is gone for illustration. This shows why your shoe would have started to distort and lose it's shape if you were to wear them after ripping out the insole. The cork sets up after being spread in the space, and effective packs all of the space under the insole. The cork is a thick paste (ground up cork mixed with a thick adhesive), and it helps maintain the integrity of the components during long years of wearing the shoe. Think of it like the pad and grout that is placed under a tile floor before the tiles are set.

Contrary to popular belief, cork was not originally placed under the insole of Goodyear-welted shoes for comfort reasons. It is there for the purpose I just described above. Most hand-welted and bespoke shoes don't have cork, because they are made with much less space under the insole (the better the shoe maker, the flatter the underside of the shoe). If there is any space under the insole of a hand-welted shoe, it is generally filled with a thin piece of soft leather or felt. Marketing has taken hold in recent decades and has started spinning the cork primarily as a comfort measure, and it does indeed create a "custom like" imprint, which is nice, but that is strictly incidental.

Here you see a couple of photos of hand-welted shoes before the sole is stitched on (photos are from Carreducker and DW Frommer):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Notice how flat and level the above photos are compared to this Goodyear-welted shoe (below) before the cork is placed to fill the void (this is an Edward Green shoe, with a wooden shank). This also shows the canvas gemming very clearly, as well as the inseam stitches (heavy white thread):

[​IMG]

All of this is the consequence of the Industrial Revolution, and the movement from making shoes by hand (hand-welting) to using machines (Goodyear-welting) in the latter half of the 1800's. These changes are the reasons that makers of hand-welted shoes shun Goodyear-welted shoes. A machine can't replicate the intricacies of a hand-carved and hand-stitched inseam.

9 people like this.
  12. tietherope

tietherope Well-Known Member

There is a new McTavish in dark brown crackle leather.
    [​IMG]

13. dailyazna

dailyazna New Member

f you only have two pair of shoes, you should have a black pair [​IMG]

14. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

MWS, great post and super informative as always

15. MoneyWellSpent

Definitely some interesting new styles coming out. I think the Shaker Heights look pretty nice, especially in Chili. Nice to see them utilizing the 3-73 last more for a change. It's a great last in my opinion.

16. MoneyWellSpent

Thanks, glad I can help.

17. shartmann

shartmann Well-Known Member

Thanks for the comments. These arrived quite a bit darker as they had a lot of polish on them. They looked really nice as is, but I decided to apply some RenoMat to remove the polish, which lightened them and really brought out some of the natural color of the shell.

DpprDr, I'm not sure if they have any more walnut shell. I read a post hear that they were not taking new orders, but maybe they were holding back some to make sure they could complete all existing orders. I would love to get another pair, and the Bayfields would be a great choice.

18. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

Walnut shell is gone. I tried to order another pair a few weeks ago

19. itsmejson

itsmejson Well-Known Member

Just wanted to bump this question.

Also need some help with patriot sizing. I still have not found a size that works for me.
    - 9.5E fits well but too tight across the vamp
    - 10D length is great but too narrow
    - 10E big all the way around

Thinking of trying a 9.53E, what do you guys think?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.