1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

Not a single pair of my shoes creases exactly the same, so it's quite normal.

Our feet are different, and there will be some variances in the leather too.

But if you are not comfortable with it, yeah, just return it.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
    2 people like this.
  2. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

Yes, for all the hassle, you might as well return them.

3. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

Yeah, don't mind David's posts, but be better if it's on a separate thread though.

4. LeviMay

LeviMay Well-Known Member

Long Branch... Same idea as the Dalton, but different leather and a lug sole. Much more practical in Canada.

5. Roycru

Roycru Well-Known Member

That is correct. One shouldn't buy a pair of Allen-Edmonds shoes for around $350.00 and expect them to be the same as the shoes sold for around $1600.00 at shops like Leather Soul.

Allen-Edmonds shoes are very good shoes for the price as well as being one of the few shoe manufacturers who offer shoes in various widths as well as offering custom options.

For comparison, in the late '60's I was working in a building that had a shop that sold Johnston & Murphy shoes (when they were still made in the U.S.A). Almost everyone who worked in the building wore Johnston & Murphy shoes. At that time, the Johnston & Murphy shoes cost around $100.00 a pair. Adjusted for inflation, Allen-Edmonds shoes are much less expensive now than the Johnston & Murphy shoes were then.

I took a picture of my four pairs of late '60's Johnston & Murphy shoes before I donated them. (They didn't fit anymore. My feet are wider now.) If you ever have a chance to see a late '60's $100.00 American[​IMG]

shoe, compare them to a new $350.00 Allen-Edmonds shoe. (The suede shoes on the end are from the UK. They're only in the picture because I took a picture of the five pairs of shoes that I was donating.)

6. frogwash

frogwash Well-Known Member

That seems completely normal to me. All my shoes crease much more than that, it's one of the things I enjoy about leather footwear--its "personality". Also, there's always variation between the creases between my left and right shoes, they never match exactly. If anything is abnormal at all, it's the fact that the one shoe doesn't show any creasing...
    yet.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
    2 people like this.
  7. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Well-Known Member

Hey guys, hate to bring up the Nordstrom sale again, but looking back into this thread I couldn't find what I was looking for. I am just wondering what you guys think of the sale on Daltons? I am in the market for a pair, but not in a rush at all, so I am wondering if this current price is basically as good as it will get, or if I should hold out for a few months (maybe till Christmas?) and hope for something better?

8. Fabian43

Fabian43 Well-Known Member

Pretty good price for firsts...you can do better with seconds Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

9. jasonmx3

jasonmx3 Well-Known Member

For a third AE pair (to add to a black PA and dark brown Strand), which would you recommend: Black Strand or Black MacNeils. I'll be using it mostly with suits, so I prefer to get black. Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  10. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

There is no need to buy a different colour for the same shoe yet, so have some variety, if it's mainly for suits, I highly recommend black Fifth Avenue or McAllister. MacNeils ain't really appropriate for suits.

11. tietherope

tietherope Well-Known Member

I agree with this advice and as I love the merlot McAllister, wouldn't recommend getting it in black. If black is a must then get the Fifth Avenue and wait to get the McAllister in a different color.

On another note, if you haven't already, take a look at some forums discussing oxblood/burgundy/merlot shoes. Myself and a large percent of others prefer that color over black shoes in most settings.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  12. Buddy0329

Buddy0329 Well-Known Member

Would you / could you make a pair burgundy cordovan Cambridges coexist in your closet along side a pair of (brand new!) merlot calfskin McAllisters?

The Cambridges are in stock now which is making the proposition tempting. I'm trying to resist..

13. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

I'd probably never wear my Mcallisters again. If they have never been worn, I'd return the Mcallister and get the Cambridge.

14. msulinski

There is no reason you can't wear non-black shoes with suits. As others have said, a merlot Mcallister is a good next shoe.

15. Buddy0329

Buddy0329 Well-Known Member

Well they are not quite that new; they have perhaps 3 wears on them. I love them though.

16. msulinski

If the money is burning a whole in your pocket, maybe get something else, like shell macneils? You could also get a pair of calf C&Js.

17. tietherope

Thanks for the prime advice everyone. My concern was never that the shoes were creasing differently from each other, but more so that the one shoe was creasing incorrectly altogether. I wanted to see if the way it is creasing to look sort of like cracks was normal sometimes or possibly a defect in the leather. Your responses have cured my fears.

18. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

I haven't had a lot of time lately so have not seen the thread on oxblood/burgundy/merlot shoes but can guess that I would fall into the camp that also prefers them to almost all other colors. Although there is nothing wrong with black IMO either, especially in cap, perf toe or plain toe. You could pick up the burgundy Cambridge and use the calf McAllister's for wet rainy days so yes I feel they can live in harmony together in your closet.

19. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

They turned out great and look fantastic Michael, Congrats!!

20. tietherope

I think you're right in saying that you need some walnut in your rotation. If your collection was smaller I may have advised against it as walnut is not as versatile as other colors and if it's 1 of 2 shoes you own it can hinder your wardrobe, but you'll be fine. Also, as you pointed out, you've got the wingtip category covered already. Strands sound like a great idea, especially at the current sale price of firsts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.