1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donjuan17

donjuan17 Well-Known Member

2. 7_rocket

7_rocket Well-Known Member

3. jd13jd13

jd13jd13 Well-Known Member

It's wishful thinking that it would have lasted that long either way.

4. Buddy0329

Buddy0329 Well-Known Member

More on loafers:

Since I'm trying to be open minded about loafers, how do you handicap Westchester, Randolph, and Patriot?

Anyone own more than one? If you do what rules do you follow for them?

I think I may want something suitable for casual denim wear, maybe khakis. Don't think I could wear them with wool trousers. I think that means Patriot, no?

I think I'm going to return two pair of Verona I've never worn. Just never could get over the metal bit. A purchase mistake.

Since I'm returning two pair of calf, I'm open to cordovan here. If I dont get comfortable with a loafer choice, I'll get another pair of oxfords or two, depending on whether I get calf or cordovan

5. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

Good move returning the bit loafers. If you can't figure out how to wear them, you are better off with something more versatile. I recommend the burgundy shell Patriots. I think they work well with chinos, flannel wool, worsted wool, linen and various other types of pants. I wouldn't wear them with jeans or shorts, but that is just my personal preference. Don't wear them with suits.

6. guasc1

guasc1 Well-Known Member

Good evening gentlemen,
    This month I have 2 trips lined up.
    1st will be a hopefully relaxing week in Naples, FL and 2nd 1 week in Orlando for work.
    Any good shopping to suggest?
    I'm not the outlet type, unless there are any Allen Edmonds, Alden or Crockett & Jones or the likes...

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  7. Buddy0329

I'm conflicted between brown & burgundy shell in Patriots. Is this decision driven more by personal preferences or by convention? I also dont see much posted about calf versions of the Patriot. Part of me is wondering about the practicality of sinking $600 into a pair of loafers that I may still struggle to wear regularly. That said, the shell pictures I've seen sure are pretty!

8. bucksfan

bucksfan Well-Known Member

I have the Randolph and 2 pair of patriots, and I had the westchester for a weekend. All of the above are /were shell cordovan.

The patriot is the least dressy, they can be worn with shorts, jeans, chinos and even flannel well. When you get to the worsted wools, they are out of their league. Check this thread or the alden thread for wearing options. Alden calls theirs the leisure handsewn (Lhs)

The Randolph and west Chester are very similar shoes, but are different in 2 ways 1) they are on different lasts, so one will fit you better then the other, but without trying them you won't know which it is. 2) the west Chester has a much shorter vamp, meant it covers less of your foot. Either is a bit too dressy for shorts and probably jeans, though they are at home with chinos, flannels and even worsted wools given the right color combinations.

I ended up returning the westchester because I was unhappy with the fit and I felt it was too similar to my Randolphs to warrant having both.

P.s. check with an outlet or the shoe bank to see if they have what you are looking for in seconds... Both of my patriots are seconds, and I can't tell why.

Good luck!

9. dusttruffle

dusttruffle Well-Known Member

does anyone know which (in any) brooks brothers shoes are made on the AE 1-511 last?

it looks like the BB leather saddle shoes = shelton but it isnt listed under "allen edmonds for brooks brothers"

10. shartmann

shartmann Well-Known Member

While looking up the phone number for the AE outlets, I noticed that factory second Independence Collection shoes are on sale for $279 (normal seconds price is $379 and retail is $475). If you were thinking about these during the last sale but passed, this may be a second chance. I have the walnut Jeffersons and they are one of my favorites. I purchased as seconds and think they were in really good shape (maybe a bit wrinkled leather on the sides, and a slight difference in burnishing is all that I can see). The more I wear these the more I am convinced that the premium pricing is worth it, although I guess I really didn't pay one since I got seconds.

[​IMG]

11. Buddy0329

Very good synopsis thank you!

Based on appearances I'm skeptical about he Westchesters anyway. Their very low vamp give the shoes a decidedly feminine look to my eye. In fact, one of the reason I have a natural aversion to loafers is that it simply feels "odd" to me to have my foot so exposed when wearing them. No guarantee I get a loafer, but I'm trying to keep an open mind on this one in an effort to diversify my shoe closet. To me, the Patriots look the most "masculine" which probably is why I am fond of them right now.

I am exchanging the bit loafers to my local AE store where they were purchased, not returning them. Since they were purchased some time ago, I don't think it would be fair to simply ask for a refund from them and then turn around and spend that money elsewhere.

1 person likes this.
  12. tampatravel

tampatravel Well-Known Member

Well...if you're going t be in Orlando, please make it a point to venture into Winter Park, FL. Specifically check out the store Downeast. They carry Alden shoes and there are tons of other wonderful stores in the neighborhood. It'd be a great place to grab a meal after the work day.

Now Naples...Has a John Craig Clothier (so does Winter Park actually too). http://www.johncraigclothier.com/. I would check out his store and then enjoy are AWESOME Gulf Beaches!

Orlando is much more of a town for shopping. If you're not the outlet type...I would still check out the Prime Outlets in Orlando. They have the most high end Ralph Lauren outlet (purple label, black label, and high end shoes) I've ever seen. They have a Zenga and Ferragamo Outlet as well. I hit up those stores every time I go to Orlando.

If you happen to be near Winter Haven, FL, Andy Thornal & Co. Is a great place to shop! One of a kind men's store that reminds me how Abercrombie & Fitch used to be before they were bought out by The Limited.

Thanks fr coming down to Florida and spending you hard earned money down here!

13. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

Even flannel is pushing it for me. The Patriot, like the Alden LHS, is a casual shoe.

As for the Westchester and Randolph, I find the Westchester more formal, even though they are each technically full strap loafers. The Randolph, for me, is a tweener - it occupies that area that is too dressy to be casual and too casual to be dressy. I used to own the Randolph in shell but no longer do.

Just one guy's opinion .....

14. kentyman

kentyman Well-Known Member

See below:

15. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Well-Known Member

Also consider the McGraw. I think it looks better in person, and you may still be able to find it discounted in walnut, brown or suede. Most loafers don't work for me, but this one does down a half size in my same width.

16. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Well-Known Member

For dress belts, you might just consider shell cordovan or custom make ups. You can buy a top quality custom belt from Rancourt or Hellbrand Leather Works for nearly the same price as a ready to wear from AE.

17. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Really? Where did you see this? I've been drooling over rutledge for ages, but could never afford them... Thanks !

18. AT83

AT83 Active Member

Question for you all.

Blue spiaggia vs Blue neumok

Clearance price and nordstrom sale price shouldn't be too far apart. Which would be better for jeans and khakis with polos and button down dress shirts. Might also try either with no show socks and shorts but that would be pretty advanced work for me. I am attracted to the rubber sole for all weather traction, but not sure about it being red. I could always topy the neumok for damp and winter wear in the Chicago area while the suede spiaggia might be too vulnerable despite the sole. In the past I wore a pair of brown grain leather cap toes with rubber soles but they became too tight and got sold off. By fall my mto cxl Bayfields should arrive and provide another nice casual option and damp approved sole.

19. shartmann

shartmann Well-Known Member

On the Allen Edmonds site, go to the 'Stores' page and search for the outlet stores in Wisconsin. On the left hand side it lists 'store events', and this sale is listed for both outlets. You can read the full descriptions if you go to the outlet store's page. I'd call either of those stores and see if they have your size.

20. Fabian43

Fabian43 Well-Known Member

I'll look into it, thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.