1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

I strongly agree with Adam and New Shoes and return them and make that trip to an AE store. I used to think that bowing was strictly a manufacturing flaw however too many people have sent me PM's and I have read enough posts on here that some lasts just will not work for them without bowing. Only by trying on different lasted shoes in different sizes will you really know what the problem is. Some AE SA's will claim the superfeet inserts help with bowing and that may be why they sell them, but I have found for MY feet they do not help. And every Doctor that has seen my feet has told me I have some of the flattest feet they ever seen. At $20 a pair they seem to provide better support than my custom orthotics that I paid $400 for, grhhh. I put them in as soon as I purchase a shoe and they have worked great for me. I never did find a pair of Cliftons that fit me and 1 of the pair that was sent to me exhibited bowing also.

2. Cold Iron

Fantastic! I almost hid all but one of them behind a spoiler but couldn't bring myself to do it LOL.

3. bucksfan

bucksfan Well-Known Member

Thank you! Enjoy your new Scottsdales! - nothing wrong with calfskin, just different strokes... I haven't worn these brown Patriots sockless yet, but I thought about it this morning. I have a potential client meeting today, so I couldn't. Maybe next Friday.

I didn't quote all the conversation on this topic, but I have had problems with bumpy cork on two occasions - the first was a pair of fifth street boots 18 months ago, which I returned for other reasons (fit mostly) and the second is my pair of black shell Park Aves, received 2 weeks ago. With the Park Aves, I put shoe trees in them for a week, then tried them on again, and the bump was gone. Both of these problem pair had the bumps in the left shoe.

Thank you, my friend. I thought you would enjoy them. Enjoy your burgundy Patriots! You mentioned they were larger than your brown shell Patriots - out of curiosity, did you order a different size? I will say that both of my pair seem to be breaking in nicely, stretching slightly and becoming even more comfortable each wearing. (only 3x each at the moment).

4. MrWN

MrWN Well-Known Member

I tried the Boca Ratons before; they feel and look noticeably wider and longer than the Mcallister and Strand. I would say maybe .5 to 1 size longer and .5 wider in width.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  5. random-adam

random-adam Well-Known Member

They found a horse! I emailed a couple hours ago, Allison called just now and took payment; my clodstompers are on their way.

2 people like this.
  6. MrWN

MrWN Well-Known Member

Please excuse my ignorance. What is "bowing" exactly? Pictures would be greatly appreciated.

7. guasc1

guasc1 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. jrarnold

jrarnold Well-Known Member

Quote:Go back a page or two and look at the pictures posted of the Cliftons without socks. You will see a perfect example of bowing in shoes. Or for a description: Its when the sides of the shoes bow out, forming an ellipse for the width of the shoe instead of the natural one formed by the length of the shoe. EDIT: Thanks for the correction.

9. deeselcyde

deeselcyde Active Member

Cliftons, not PAs.

10. Cold Iron

Thanks bucksfan! Same size, 10D. The brown I have had more than a month now and wear them pretty much every day as soon as I get home from work and weekends. They fit best with a lightweight sock or no socks at all. So at the beginning of the week I ordered another 7 pair of thin lightweight wool socks (and a few ties) at the start of the BB sale in anticipation of the burgundy Patriots. When I received my burgundy last night out of the box they are a little bit looser than the brown ones which are well broken in and fit best with my normal weight socks. I am hoping there will not be much stretch with them but right now they are extremely comfortable. As are the brown ones [​IMG]

11. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Well-Known Member

I had a few loose threads like these on the Cliftons I purchased from Nordstrom. I clipped them with a pair of cuticle scissors and have had no issues.

12. hohneokc

hohneokc Well-Known Member

I agree with MrWN. I have the Flatiron on the 333 last and it is wider and longer than the 5 last. My right foot is slightly larger than my left foot. On a 5 last, the right foot is slightly tight and the left foot is perfect. In the same size on the 333 last, the right foot is perfect and the left foot is slightly loose. Please note, but fit fine. On the 333 last, I feel my left foot could go a 9.25D instead of the 9.5D I wear. On the 5 last, my right foot could go a 9.75D instead of 9.5D.

Chris

13. MrWN

MrWN Well-Known Member

Ah, thank you.

14. patrick_b

patrick_b Well-Known Member

Very nice "old school" burgundy [​IMG]. Right back at ya.

[​IMG]

15. OptoDoc

16. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

Not a fan at all. What about a tassel loafer if you're not a fan of penny loafers? What about a penny loafer in suede for something different?

17. MZhammer

MZhammer Well-Known Member

Ooff no...

Big fan of the Graysons
    http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF169_1_40000000001_-1

and I think the Randolph are sleek for penny loafers
    http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF4809_1_40000000001_-1

As New Shoes1 aluded to, tassles are in right now.
    [​IMG]

18. OptoDoc

I would never judge anyone for wearing tassel loafers, but I can't see myself owning a pair. I find them to be quite 'dandy'. I like the way penny loafers look on the shelf, but every time I've tried on a pair I've thought they looked rather odd on my feet. Maybe I'll go the monk strap route for a no-lace shoe instead. Though, the simplicity of slipping into the Hillsborough was appealing...especially when it's raining, due to the rubber sole.

Has AE ever made a wholecut loafer? Something like this...

[​IMG]

They have the Ann Arbor on the clearance list currently, but it has a cemented sole.

19. MZhammer

MZhammer Well-Known Member

SWIMS has some new slip on loafers that would be good in summer showers, although they're bright.

20. MrWN

MrWN Well-Known Member

I just received my order of the El Paso from the tent sale. I think they decided to send me a pair of firsts rather than seconds; they look perfectly fine and no markings of seconds.

Note to self: El Paso in 10 E feels more like a 10 D... Will need to go 10 EE in the future for this shoe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.