1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fabian43

Fabian43 Well-Known Member

Well if that ripple near the arch doesn't bother you then I guess they are fine but for me it's unacceptable, even for seconds.

2. MidwestSteve

MidwestSteve Member

What color Saphir Pate de Luxe Wax Shoe Polish is the best match for Merlot Park Avenues? I prefer a deeper/darker red color. and am leaning toward the Bordeaux color, but colors on the web can vary. Thanks.

3. evilWagon

evilWagon Well-Known Member

Hmm, I agree the walnut always seems so light in some pictures that it scare me off (charcoal and royal blue corneliani suit on occasion). I have a pair of bourbon kenilworths on route... I guess I'll get to see in person.

4. Suit Up

Suit Up Member

Always hesitate on buying things without seeing and trying them firsthand and this is the exact reason why. Found a small store that actually has a walnut Kenilworth in store (half size too big) so I'll go check them out tomorrow and if they are quite dark, that would imply that the Bourbon is much darker = I'll have to call to cancel my order or something... Or hope they have a good Canada (Montreal) return policy...

None of the stores seem to carry Bourbon, bummer.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  5. David Copeland

David Copeland Well-Known Member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    Click here

6. David Copeland

[​IMG]
    This Saphir Glossy Color Chart is a MUST for those who are investing in more than one color of Saphir color products.

Simply place the pin hole of the color over your shoes and determine the color match with accuracy.

7. David Copeland

Read this: CLICK HERE

8. Subutai

Subutai Well-Known Member

Harrison, any day. I see you're still going strong!

9. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

Incidentally, the lumps I have encountered have been in the left shoe as well - almost every time .

10. evilWagon

evilWagon Well-Known Member

Quote:Well like yourself I can count on one hand the stores within a reasonable drive that carry AE... even less with any selection.. and zero with my size. So being busy, I'd rather do my best to discern the colour from photos and then take a leap of faith vs driving an hour each way to judge the particular browness of a shoe. Bourbon by the way, is walnut that is burnished.

11. Suit Up

Suit Up Member

Well evil, if the Kenilworth Bourbon is indeed Busnished Walnut, I'll be in heaven because that's exactly what I'm looking to get! I just got a little nervous earlier when I searched Kenilworth Bourbon in google and came across this horrid greenish dark brown color...

Cheers!

12. Flokk

Flokk Active Member

+1 on the Connecticut Avenue store. The service and conversation I had with Brian was impeccable. Perhaps they get so many suits/names/loaded tourists there that the salesmen are fat and happy and relaxed, which reflects on the store atmosphere and service. Whatever the case, it's an excellent little shop.

13. deeselcyde

deeselcyde Active Member

Hi guys,
    First post to the forum.

I ordered two pairs (10.5 D's) of AE's from Nordstroms during the sale (Walnut PLAYERS and Black CLIFTONS). I received the Cliftons today and have a couple questions:

Is this loose stitching a defect? It's consistent on both sides of both shoes.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Is there too much room in the ankles? I returned a pair of Strands because they looked too loose, similar to these. NOTE: I have very flat feet.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. pudman43

pudman43 Well-Known Member

For the love of Pete, please put some socks on! Lol. I'll let others with better fit knowledge have a go at this. J

15. deeselcyde

deeselcyde Active Member

It was too hard to see the gap with socks on.

I am partial to socks though, lol.

16. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Well-Known Member

17. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Well-Known Member

They look loose....can you put some socks on a tighten them up a little to make it comfortable?

I would't worry about the stitching, I have that on some AEs and it's OK.

18. deeselcyde

deeselcyde Active Member

That's the thing....they are already super comfortable (just as comfortable with socks) but I don't want to spend a pretty penny on some shoes when they flare out in the ankle like that and "look bad". These and the Player's I ordered will be my first dress shoes/most expensive shoes I own. I showed concern at Nordstrom's when trying on the walnut pair in my size and the manager pulled up his pant legs and showed me his small gap on his outer heel. However, the other guy working there was wearing some Player's and he had none of that.

19. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Well-Known Member

The gap is a bit much, but if you have socks on and tighten the laces a little more it might be fine. Try that and post another pic if you can.

20. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Well-Known Member

As a fellow flat foot, I will tell you that some bowing is to be expected even if you don't see it in other make ups on the same last. In most cases, properly fitted jeans or trousers will cover that part of the shoe. The most important aspect is whether or not the shoes fit comfortably. If they fit well and you don't have excessive heel slip, don't worry about it and enhoy the shoes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.