• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjyoung

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a few questions for the masses. I just picked up my first pair of shell cordovan shoes - Kenwood in burgundy:

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF44006_1_40000000001_-1

On the inside of the shoe, the model number is 44006, so I know that these are, in fact, the cordovan Kenwood's. However, the sole is not leather, as it is advertised online. It appears to be rubber, similar to that of the sole of the Kenwood VIP. Has anyone run into this issue when receiving their factory-second shoes (rubber sole when expected leather)? Just trying to gauge others' experiences.

Also, assuming these are cordovan, what is the best way to take care of them (or cordovan shoes, in general)? Is there something I should do initially before wearing them? When I opened them out of the box, there is some sort of white substance on the shoes. Does anyone know what this is? Should I wipe it away with a cloth?

On a side note, I have a new pair of walnut Parkway's and a new pair of chili Delray's, and I have been debating about whether to Topy them or not. What is the feel around here regarding this? Also, what is the feel regarding the metal toe taps? I have 8 pairs of AE's so far, and have not Topy's or toe-tapped any of them as I did not know such a thing existed (still pretty new to the dress-shoe world).

Finally, I also picked up a pair of Westbrook's in cayenne:

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF46886_1_40000000001_-1

Great looking shoe, in my opinion. How do people around here take care of their boat shoes? What treatment should be used?

Unfortunately, I will be out of town for a couple weeks, and cannot take pictures. I will do so when I return, though!

Thanks.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with Bucksfan. I love mine and agree that if you find some in your size, I'd jump on them. Be aware that I think Bucksfan's walnut shell color is quite rare, imo. I think AE changed their walnut offering or got a different batch and most walnut shell Daltons since mid-2012 when I got mine are much darker. I like the color of mine but if I had the chance to buy another pair in Bucksfan's walnut color, I would, as I like the lighter color. Closer to the calf color, which tempts me to buy the calf version as well. Here are mine, which as you see, are darker.

No 'El Argentino's' Snapseed effects here...
Exactly. And appreciate no Snapseed so we can see true color. Thank you good sir!

Dalton purchased when walnut shell first came out, or within a couple days at least. This was not in full sun and darker than IRL, but you can tell how light they are by the black highlights coming through especially on boot to the left:

Strands purchased on the last day that walnut shell was offered. They are dark enough that Strands in brown shell would be redundant. In the center between calf walnut on the left and Dalton walnut shell on the right:

And walnut Dundee made a year after walnut was officially no longer available. It took what we used to say in the military "an act of congress" to get them. But thanks to bucksfan I was able to. Likely the tail end of what little walnut shell was left. They are almost identical to my Alden Ravello which have a weak red hue, not even close to Alden whisky:

After time the hue has changed a lot on all of mine due to UV exposure and brushing. The Dalton's are now what I would consider a true walnut, but are also the oldest. Left to right walnut shell Daltons, Strands, Dundee's and Alden Ravello. Lighting for shell plays an important part of showing color and this was not in full sun, but it was just a few weeks ago.

TheSizzle

Reaction score
I can make a prediction...

When AE starts offering some lighter colors of shell again (cappucino, walnut, etc.), they'll take a few more handfulls of my money.

bucksfan

Reaction score
Me too - I kind of hope that it's a couple months off, because Uncle Sam has his hand deep in my pocket next month...

P.s. nice analysis, Cold Iron. Beautiful pics too!

Last edited:

TheSizzle

Reaction score
Thanks for that write-up, Cold Iron. I am slightly envious of your walnut shell options. Seeing them next to walnut calf models makes me realize two things. First, of course I love walnut calf. Second, walnut shell is even better.

Now, having some spare time on my hands, and a small blemish on the toe cap of one of my pairs of Strands, I took a quick attempt at a light antiquing job (cross-post from the shoe care thread). I think, for calf, they turned out reasonably well, even if the lighting makes it seem like I didn't reach near the welt line, which I actually did polish...

GentlemanJohnny

Reaction score
From a few pages back...

What's the difference between the Mora and the Neumora? I couldn't see much of a difference.

zchen

Reaction score
From a few pages back...

What's the difference between the Mora and the Neumora? I couldn't see much of a difference.

Mora 7E (top) vs Neumora 7D (Bottom). Also the Neumora (current version) has the clasp secured to shoe with elastics rather than leather.

Last edited:

TheSizzle

Reaction score
Mora 7E (top) vs Neumora 7D (Bottom). Also the Neumora (current version) has the clasp secured to shoe with elastics rather than leather.

I wish they would offer the Neumora in lighter colors. I would rock it in walnut, but at least there are rumors of it being offered in bourbon.

nickrut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The nuemora's are pretty solid. They actually have a good looking chiseled toe. One or the more stylish pairs of AE's in my mind.

tommyhk

Reaction score
I wish they would offer the Neumora in lighter colors. I would rock it in walnut, but at least there are rumors of it being offered in bourbon.
I was told the sample bourbon Neumora's were as far as they got. They never got the greenlight to produce anything past the 9D samples. So the few people that snagged the sample bourbons are likely the only ones to have them. This is according to a sales rep at the shoebank. Hopefully he is proven wrong!

TheSizzle

Reaction score
I was told the sample bourbon Neumora's were as far as they got. They never got the greenlight to produce anything past the 9D samples. So the few people that snagged the sample bourbons are likely the only ones to have them. This is according to a sales rep at the shoebank. Hopefully he is proven wrong!

That's my hope because, alas, I do not wear shoes in the same size range as the salesman samples.

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As for the sleek look you're searching for I would recomend anything on the 5 last. I.E: Strand, Park Avenues,... pretty much all balmorals.

I don't think there are really any sleek cap toes from AE right now, maybe the Harrison. I may be alone in this, but I don't find the 5 last to be particularly sleek. I find that the 7 or 8 last are sleeker, but don't think there are any current oxford cap toes in either last.

JDMills

Reaction score
Does anyone have any action shots of the Franciscan captoe monk, its on the same last as the Neumora I believe, or the Norwich, in the market for a monkstrap and cant decide which i like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics