1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Well-Known Member

yes sir

2. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Well-Known Member

Ask ae for samples they will gladly semd them

3. easy_golfing

easy_golfing Well-Known Member

Sadly I asked for walnut and cappuccino only.... No brown. My miskate

4. hohneokc

hohneokc Well-Known Member

It is on the infamous 2 last - it runs very narrow.

My local store has them at 1/2 price in my size - I cannot wear them. They fit too tight across my high instep.

Chris

5. Scottyb06

Scottyb06 Well-Known Member

I have an event coming up this week which will require wearing a suit. I'm planning to wear the suit in the pics below, however, I cannot decide which shoes are more appropriate. The event is a business gathering with roughly 500 people or so. Nothing too formal, but a suit is indeed typical attire. Which shoes look better - the black Hastings or the Bourbon McAllisters? If it doesn't show up in the pic well, the shirt is a light sky blue color, not white. Thanks :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. wilbromarshall

wilbromarshall Active Member

While I am not a big believer that black shoes should only be used at select times ( I break that rules when I please) I would vote for the Borbon McAllisters.

7. polojock615

polojock615 Well-Known Member

Mcallisters.

8. robby

robby Member

Definitely the McAllisters.

9. gtvisa2002

gtvisa2002 Well-Known Member

Even I will vote for McAllister. By your suit selection, I assume it's not too formal and McAllister works better with that suit.
    Hope that helps.

10. konoyaro

konoyaro Well-Known Member

I'll break the trend and vote Hastings. Works better in conjunction with the tie + suit IMHO.

11. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Well-Known Member

Without a doubt the bourbon Macs.

12. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

I agree with everyone that the Bourbon McAllisters look best with that suit, but we are all ignoring the context. OP needs to consider whether this business event is important and formal enough that he needs to break out the black shoes. Of course, an affirmative answer may also dictate wearing a darker suit, but that is another story. If the context does not dictate the shoe selection, then I agree go with the bourbon shoes.

13. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Well-Known Member

Any of you with burgundy calf patriots w/ combo tap sole have a squeaking issue? Every step I take is noisy and quite annoying.

Seeking a remedy if possible.

Update: Looks like this is a common issue, as per the AE website. I will be heading to a store to see what can be done.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  14. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Well-Known Member

What others have said about shell is all true. If you develop an appreciation for it, you will probably want to (1) only buy shell from that point on and (2) get the itch to replace your calf shoes with shell. If you're okay with this, then head over to the Alden thread* and don't look back.

*EDIT: I meant in order to see what shell is all about, since the Alden thread has a heavy focus on shell. It's perfectly fine to stick with AE in the end.

15. Papa Doble

I'll assume that both shoes are appropriate based on the suit color you've chosen. In that case, I think the McAllisters look better (with light grey).

16. Papa Doble

I don't own Patriots, but this is what I was going to reply with. Good luck, and let us know the remedy.

17. david 112358

david 112358 Active Member

I'm having a hard time understanding the appeal of a leather that you can't wear in the rain... of course not everywhere is blessed with nine miserable months of it. I know you aren't supposed to use polish on shell, but would a light wax solve the rain problems?

18. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

19. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Well-Known Member

Thanks, I hope it pans out.

I might be going shoeless for the rest of the day. Walking back and forth from the desk is very annoying!

20. Winston S.

Winston S. Well-Known Member

Totally agree with this. I no longer appreciate calf shoes like I used to.

I have the same issue with my Brown calf Patriots, but with the leather sole. I suspect it is the heel and some others think it might be the strap on the loafer. I just got a pair of Marlow Pennies, so I will likely be flipping my Patriots. I picked my Patriots up from eBay, so I don't think I have the same recourse options as you. I wonder if anyone with the Shell Patriots have this issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.