1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

Another rainy day so calf again today. Black calf Leeds with 2 coats of blue wax on top.
    [​IMG]

2. coolarrow

coolarrow Well-Known Member

The above looks fine. Some of the others posted are too shiny, IMHO. You're no longer in the military so you're not being graded for shiny shoes. Chill out and learn to slouch a little.

Here's my AE Kearney's, which I wore for casual Friday (and didn't have time to post):

[​IMG]

3. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

Here is a pic with the Cappuccino Dundees beside the Brown Shell Patriots. They look almost identical inside. Outside the Dundees have a rich almost red quality to them.

[​IMG]

4. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

Here are my walnut shell Daltons. I wore them last week but I took a week off from all forums so I didn't get a chance to post.
    With the unlined shell these are the only boots I kept out for the summer. All my other boots are in storage patiently waiting on fall to arrive.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. random-adam

random-adam Well-Known Member

Off topic...

Since this thread helped out with my business casual to formal footwear needs, I decided last year to step up my hot-weather-relaxed look as well. I sent tracings of my feet and a couple months later received some custom brown leather sandals from Piper in San Antonio. They molded exactly to my feet after I was caught out in a rainstorm for a few hours at Assateague Island National Seashore -- the sand, salt water, and soaking (don't try this with your shell) really did the trick. Recommended.

6. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Well-Known Member

I've found the same using AE premium polish. I'll work in some Kiwi. A few questions... Do you still use the AE polish for color match first and then throw some clear Kiwi on top for shine? Something like black wouldn't be an issue but I have merlot AE polish for my merlot AE shoes and I'm guessing that Kiwi doesn't offer a matching polish. Also, some said that a waxy polish will leave residue in the creases on calf. Any truth to that?

7. AdamAdam

Bump. Thank you.

8. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Well-Known Member

If you want a mirror shine, you have to use carnuba wax polish, not cream polish. The Park Avenue is actually a perfect canvas for achieving a mirror shine, if that's your thing. Use whatever brand of carnuba wax polish you want, or like the most.

9. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Well-Known Member

I would go with same size. Anytime I sized differently on 5 last, such as the Strand to the Nuemok, it just did not feel right.

10. MoneyWellSpent

Wax polish will crack in the creases. It is best used on the toe cap and heel areas, where there isn't any flexing taking place.

I may be reading too much into the last few comments, but it is starting to sound like there is a fundamental misunderstanding of the polishes and their respective purposes. The fact that AE premium polish won't achieve a mirror shine isn't indicative of it's quality. It is fantastic stuff. It simply isn't formulated with enough wax to create the mirror shine. They make carnuba wax for that purpose. You can use whatever brand you like the most, but AE's products are wonderful quality and they make a product for every application that you want (except for a stripping product like Renomat). There just isn't a need to go to multiple manufacterers to care for a simple pair of merlot (burgundy) shoes. Shoe care is very easily turned into a difficult process when it really shouldn't be.

11. AmericanGent

AmericanGent Well-Known Member

This term comes from the British military. To "Bull" is to push- so you are forcing the polish into the leather.
    In the U.S. Navy we just do a "spit-shine", but it's essentially the same thing. Many light layers of polish and then finished with a little bit of spit to smooth out the finish. Some also use cold water on a cotton ball.

2 people like this.
  12. paperfire

paperfire Member

Hello everyone, I am starting full-time work next month and will be buying 2 pairs of Allen Edmonds and I need advice on which to buy. At work, I will be wearing gray, charcoal and navy suits. Currently, I have a pair of plain black captoes so formal occasions are covered.

For my work shoes, I am looking at a black pair and a walnut pair. For the black pair I like the strand, and for the walnut pair I like the mcallisters. What do you guys think I should buy?

13. ckprax

ckprax Well-Known Member

I would try either a half size down or keep the length but drop the width. I wear a 10E in the 5 last but my 10d mctavish fit very well.

14. MoneyWellSpent

Great boots!

15. cldpsu

cldpsu Well-Known Member

I'd just like to add to the consensus that different models fit differently even if made on the same last. I posted about 10 pages ago about my right toe feeling pressure in the mcallister in 13B but I tried the strand in the same size and didn't have a problem.

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  16. AmericanGent

AmericanGent Well-Known Member

Thanks for you service. I've been in for 15 years now- worn leathers the whole time and I have taken a match to my shoes many times. I used a heat gun years ago and the shine was amazing. I understand your reluctance to apply heat to your AEs. I won't do it either.

+1

I agree that AE polish will not get the high-gloss you are looking for. I used it on my calf cap toes and was not impressed.

17. masernaut

masernaut Well-Known Member

I found that the McTavish fits a half size largeer.

1 person likes this.
  18. AdamAdam

Working from home today but wearing my new McAllisters so that I can break them in before a conference in a few weeks where I'll be on my feet all day. How many wears for you guys before they feel somewhat broken in? My other McAllisters took about a dozen.

[​IMG]

19. AdamAdam

Thanks for the replies. My TTS is 8D so for the McAllister we went to 7.5E as most have commented is normal. So, on the McTavish I'd go down even lower than that to 7E or 7.5D? My McAllisters are snug so maybe I'll stick with the same size 7.5E and see how that goes. I can go try them on of course but I'm looking at a few from the outlets. I have a good relationship with the SA from my local store and I've bought two pair from him recently but I feel bad going in to try on shoes that I know I will just turn around and buy from the outlet or Amazon.

20. AdamAdam

What about a burgundy (merlot) pair instead of the black? You have the black covered with the captoes you already own. I just picked up a pair of merlot McAllister and find that they go with everything. You can wear them with your gray and charcoal suits and go with the walnut for the navy. Merlot and burgundy are available in other AE models as well. I also have a pair of walnut McAllister and I love them and they look great with navy. I will warn you however that they are a little "flashy". If your office environment is more conservative you may want to keep that in mind. Mine is not and I can get away with it and get comments all the time on the walnut.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.