• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont know...I like my blue neumok...quality wise, its a part of the rough collection obviously, so no fine leathers here...and I find it to be just a notch below the mctavish, although the store associate says they are essentially the same shoe...but to my eye, the mctavish just looked a tad more substantial and polished, in a sense. But I like em...you wont see many other people with them on...at least I havent.

I don't think it is fair to say that they are essentially the same shoe as the McTavish. Apart from the same broguing pattern, they are a completely different animal. Different upper leather, no lining, single sole rather than a double sole. The McTavish will be a substantially more durable shoe in the long run.

elbastardocalvo

Reaction score

My new Daltons in walnut calf (seconds):

yqu6u7ad.jpg

I'm very pleased with them and can't find any faults other than possibly a few dark marks on the interior leather.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Excellent. I'm wearing mine today too.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a pair of Strands, and after a few hours of wear around the office I've noticed they are creasing in front of the toe cap. I know creasing is inevitable in the area behind the toecap, but I was under the impression that creasing in front of the cap is indicative of a problem. They fit very comfortably, and I was sized by the AE store, so I wouldn't think they are an improper fit. Insight?

At this stage, all the creases are minor. If the creasing in front of the toe cap gets worse, then that would be a cause for concern. Contrary to popular belief, the AE staff do not always perform proper fittings. Like many shoe stores, AE focuses on heel to toe measurements which can leave you a little short.

I agree... I've measured as 4 different sizes by 3 different salespeople. You need to make the determination for yourself what fits you.

This topic always turns into a bit of this:
nest.gif
That said, what the other gentlemen have said here has merits without question, and I am not seeking to argue with them. However, if a shoe fits you and is completely comfortable to you, then the creases can't be a deal breaker. Too much emphasis is placed on the creases falling in the "correct" location, but we are talking about ready to wear shoes fitting feet that are all different and have their subtle nuances. We aren't in the bespoke shoe world here. Therefore everyone's creasing will be different, and often the creases will even be different between your two feet. There are MANY factors that come into play regarding where a shoe will crease, and the way the shoe fits you is only one of them. For my individual case, I am a 10.5D, but that size on the 5-Last causes creasing below the cap toe for me in the Strand. Conveniently, the often bashed low cap line on the Fifth Avenue and Park Avenue actually allows them to crease in the "correct" location on my feet. For the Strand, I discovered that an 11 C actually fits comfortably enough, and allows the crease to fall in the right zone, but it is dangerously close to the upper brogue line near the laces. You have to make an individual decision, but to a degree, if the shoe fits wear it. The Style Forum Kool-Aid says that the creases have to be in the perfect location to be acceptable, but in the real world your shoes will take on a unique character of their own and your comfort when wearing the shoes is the most important factor. People walking by you on the sidewalk aren't going to look down and say "nice shoes, your creases are wrong."

N8ter

Reaction score
At this stage, all the creases are minor. If the creasing in front of the toe cap gets worse, then that would be a cause for concern. Contrary to popular belief, the AE staff do not always perform proper fittings. Like many shoe stores, AE focuses on heel to toe measurements which can leave you a little short.
Does this imply that if the shoes are too short for you, you will get creasing further out on the toe because your ball is too far forward in the shoe?

spitshine123

Reaction score
This topic always turns into a bit of this:
nest.gif
That said, what the other gentlemen have said here has merits without question, and I am not seeking to argue with them. However, if a shoe fits you and is completely comfortable to you, then the creases can't be a deal breaker. Too much emphasis is placed on the creases falling in the "correct" location, but we are talking about ready to wear shoes fitting feet that are all different and have their subtle nuances. We aren't in the bespoke shoe world here. Therefore everyone's creasing will be different, and often the creases will even be different between your two feet. There are MANY factors that come into play regarding where a shoe will crease, and the way the shoe fits you is only one of them. For my individual case, I am a 10.5D, but that size on the 5-Last causes creasing below the cap toe for me in the Strand. Conveniently, the often bashed low cap line on the Fifth Avenue and Park Avenue actually allows them to crease in the "correct" location on my feet. For the Strand, I discovered that an 11 C actually fits comfortably enough, and allows the crease to fall in the right zone, but it is dangerously close to the upper brogue line near the laces. You have to make an individual decision, but to a degree, if the shoe fits wear it. The Style Forum Kool-Aid says that the creases have to be in the perfect location to be acceptable, but in the real world your shoes will take on a unique character of their own and your comfort when wearing the shoes is the most important factor. People walking by you on the sidewalk aren't going to look down and say "nice shoes, your creases are wrong."
Did not mean to poke the bear
smile.gif
. What I meant to convey was that if they fit comfortably, then keep the shoe... but in agreement with PsiPsi, being sized by an AE associate is by no means a definite guide as to what size is right for you. I have a pair of moras with some creasing on the toe cap, but they are one of my favorite shoes nonetheless! Wear your strands in good health Hybrid.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The webgem pricing is pretty sweet.  Call an AE store, and I'm willing to bet they can order the stock configuration for the webgem price.  AE can still do any 5 last width, you just have to pay extra for it. That may or may not be worth it to you.

Truth be told, it would have been in impulse purchase; my brown Byrons work at least as well with the seersucker or linen suits for which I'd've ordered a pair of navy Neumoks, and it's easier to find a matching belt. :satisfied:

Someday, though, there will be a webgem I must have (cappuccino shell, possibly...) and I'll test the local AE store's ability to order it in an off-list size.

Karl Drogo

Reaction score

mp906

Reaction score
Last round of sale hauls:

Daltons, Amoks, Kenilworths.

All 13D except the Amoks are 12E...this a long and extremely NARROW shoe. I'm using a shoe-tree with a thick sock over it to stretch them out a bit...the suede is also very thin. I see why these are discontinued. For $99, I am not complaining though. They'll get worn.

Sorry for the ****** iphone pic.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Of course you can use a rag wheel on the bench grinder! Brownell's gunsmith supply sells loose muslin wheels for polishing. At one point I even considered it....

This has been knocking around in the back of my head for the last several months, so last weekend I tried a poor-man's version of the technique above.

I wadded up a very small portion of old cotton t-shirt and screwed it to the end of a Dremel attachment, then went to town with that contraption (set to the lowest spindle speed) on my shell Daltons. No photos at the moment -- but the MacGyvering was justified by the end result. It wasn't quite torquey enough to work up a real shine but the surface is much better than it used to be, and my arm doesn't feel like it's going to fall off from brushing.

spitshine123

Reaction score
This has been knocking around in the back of my head for the last several months, so last weekend I tried a poor-man's version of the technique above.

I wadded up a very small portion of old cotton t-shirt and screwed it to the end of a Dremel attachment, then went to town with that contraption (set to the lowest spindle speed) on my shell Daltons. No photos at the moment -- but the MacGyvering was justified by the end result. It wasn't quite torquey enough to work up a real shine but the surface is much better than it used to be, and my arm doesn't feel like it's going to fall off from brushing.
A video if you going to town on your daltons would be greatly appreciated
rotflmao.gif

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, your pictures put the idea in my head, and seeing them in person almost sealed the deal. Reading across-the-board spectacular reviews on the AE website also helps. The chili somehow looks especially nicer on these shoes. Definitely on my purchase list.
You have PM.

Next two shoes on my list are definitely the Chili Waltons and the Brown Cordovan Strand (you guys can have all the Cappuccino; leave the brown for me). I'm going to see if I can wait for a sale, but I was so impressed with these two (actually, the Cordovan Strands been on the radar for a while), that I might buy sooner rather than later. And also just go for firsts.

Norwich also looks great in Cordovan, but I can't wear the 2 last.

I have them both, in the colors you mention. The Walton is on the 3-73 last so make sure you know your size in that last. The 3-73 is used sparingly, and currently AE's website indicates it is being used in only two of its offerings - Walton and Broadstreet. It is completely different than the 5 last (Strand). IMO, the brown shell Strand may be AE's best shoe.

TurboTropic

Reaction score

Excellent. I'm wearing mine today too.

Thanks for the comments all.

So, if you don't mind me asking, what do you wear them with? I wear suits Monday to Thursday and business casual on Friday. My normal rotation Monday to Thursday is black captoes (Meermin) and walnut Strands (AE) with something a bit more casual on Friday like a brown suede chukka.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did not mean to poke the bear
smile.gif
. What I meant to convey was that if they fit comfortably, then keep the shoe... but in agreement with PsiPsi, being sized by an AE associate is by no means a definite guide as to what size is right for you. I have a pair of moras with some creasing on the toe cap, but they are one of my favorite shoes nonetheless! Wear your strands in good health Hybrid.

Ha ha, not at all. I fully agree with everything you both said, just in case I didn't explain myself well. I was just trying to say that if the shoe fits properly and is comfortable, it shouldn't be thrown out simply because the SF Kool-Aid says that the creases aren't ideal. I have several pairs that aren't creasing in the ideal location, but I love them and wear them with pride without hesitation. The guy down the hall wearing Rockports has no room to comment on a crease on my shoes.

maxmaxmaxmax

Reaction score

Yeah, my outside pics look close to walnut, while my inside pic looks pretty brown. I think it's fair to say they're pretty in between.

I have so few shoes that I still need to diversify and so wouldn't get the same shoe in "adjacent" colors, but for those that already have one of everything they might be a nice addition.

I've just ordered a pair of the Strand in bourbon into a local store. They won't be here for 4-6 weeks. In the meantime, I've been looking at various pics on the web of these shoes. I've noticed that in most pictures they look like a brown colour in between the brown burnished calf and the walnut, which is just what I'm after. In other pics, such as the "indoor" shot linked above, they look like they have a yellow-green undertone, which I don't particularly like. This can be seen in other pics of bourbon shoes on occasion as well.

Could owners of the recent bourbon coloured shoes from AE comment on which tends to be a more "true" representation of the colour? There are so many variables over the net including the colour balance of my monitors.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

J

Apologies for posting this same post again, but since I'm "new here", my posts end up 3 pages back due to the moderation process.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have them both, in the colors you mention. The Walton is on the 3-73 last so make sure you know your size in that last. The 3-73 is used sparingly, and currently AE's website indicates it is being used in only two of its offerings - Walton and Broadstreet. It is completely different than the 5 last (Strand). IMO, the brown shell Strand may be AE's best shoe.

The 3-73 is their widest last. Mine are comfortably roomy and I really enjoy their fit. I think the girth of the last gives them the comfortable roomy feel that you would expect from a gunboat shoe like an Alden Barrie last, while looking more elegant due to the more tapered toe. In fact, that's how I describe the fit of the Walton... They feel like gunboats especially with the double sole, but when you look down, they look more refined and ready to be dressed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads