1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing, accessories, etc.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TexasTexter, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Marc S

Marc S Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Guys....ordered these FA Walnut Firsts from Amazon to dial in the size I may get seconds in.

WOW!! The more I look at them, the more I like them.

I have no dark brown dress shoes, hence me thinking I should potentially go with Brown FA's. But dang I these look good!

Thoughts on Walnut vs Brown in these?

1 person likes this.
  2. amphillips79

amphillips79 Well-Known Member

Honestly, I dislike brown dress shoes. I'm referring to the dark brown. Walnut is awesome, bourbon is fantastic, dark brown is meh. I don't find them particularly versatile and have worn mine only a few times. That is a style preference though as I wear many grey slacks and trousers which dark brown just doesn't jive well with in my opinion. So, all depends on what you like and what you wear, but personally I'd go walnut.

1 person likes this.
  3. naspratt

naspratt Well-Known Member

Walnut looks great, dark brown goes with everything.

1 person likes this.
  4. rumjt

rumjt Well-Known Member

Well, if your aim is versatility, then I'd say go for the brown. I felt the exact same way when I had a pair of walnut Daltons on in the store. I only put them on for sizing purposes but every second they stayed on made it harder for me to part with them lol.

1 person likes this.
  5. amphillips79

amphillips79 Well-Known Member

I feel in the minority! I find dark brown less versatile than walnut.

1 person likes this.
  6. Mat Waites

Mat Waites Well-Known Member

Thinking is free!

7. harlequin782

harlequin782 Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who thinks the HM in natural and the Long Branch in Golden Brown would be redundant, colorwise? Doesnt natural cxl just wind up becoming a kind of golden brown eventually anyway?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  8. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Well-Known Member

If you can get a Jefferson 1.0 in your size, in any color, grab it.

*. *. *

Say, if I already have a burg shell PTB, I don't need a burg shell Bradley, do I? Wouldn't it serve about the same purpose, i.e. fill the same slot?

1 person likes this.
  9. dfwcowboy

dfwcowboy Well-Known Member

I think it depends somewhat on the type of shoe. For a dress shoe, I don't think I would have that much use for a dark brown. However, my Neumok is a medium to dark brown and it's quite versatile. I think dark brown works with many styles of boots also.

10. dfwcowboy

Other than the brass plate, what makes the 1.0 superior to the 2.0?

11. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."

You are correct if you think the purpose of the shoe is either to check a box on a particular color or particular leather. In this case, the Bradley and the PTB are completely different in appearance and I think the color and shell leather is simply coincidental. As you can tell, I personally go far more by the style of the shoe if I am going to have it "fill a slot" in my collection.

OK, now that I have said that, I looked at the signature on my account and counted up six different long wing Blucher's. That does not include several pairs that I currently have a problem for sale on eBay. Clearly, I am utilizing colors and leathers to check off various categories as well as the style. So there you have it, I am full of crap and can argue this in either direction. If you like the Bradley, get it too.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  12. Lobster33

Lobster33 Well-Known Member

Wow doc, you sure sold off a lot of your AE shoes. :( Bad fits? Not wearing them enough?

13. Benjaminslost

Benjaminslost Active Member

A general request. thanks in advance:

I'm looking for information on the AE Hamilton loafer, and can't find anything. I recently bought a new/old pair in shell and really like the look and fit, but there's nothing on AA or SF that I can find, nor any info on the AE site. Specifically, I'd like to know what last these were made on, and whether there is a modern update/copy with the same vamp "tightness" and toe box width.

Also, hope everyone is getting in on the seconds sale this weekend. They actually had Macneils in color #8 in my size this time around.

14. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Well-Known Member

Speaking of redundant. Here's a family pic of my "tan loafer" collection.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

L-R: Oak Street Bootmakers "cognac" beefroll, Ralph Lauren/Allen Edmonds "tan"(walnut) Singleton, Rancourt "caramel" unlined shell loafers.

Missing is a pair of tan Sperry Gold Cup beefroll loafers with boat shoe sole.

So obviously they are slightly different styles, but I found the collection a bit redundant. I recently sold the RL/AE Singletons after much deliberation. The fit wasn't as perfect as I'd like. I somewhat regret it as they are wonderful shoes, but they hadn't had much wear given my preference for the other two lately.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  15. naspratt

naspratt Well-Known Member

Can't believe those shell Kenwoods are still around. Sometimes wish I'd bought those instead of the Westchester when both were available in my size. Absurd deal for $297, depending on what made them seconds.

Pattern. I am baby-wrangling so can't find pics to compare, but the 1.0 has better spacing and lines. The 2.0 uses the McAllister pattern.

16. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

Does it say 5490? If so it is from the mid 90's, AE called the color "Black Cherry Cordovan" I believe they are on the 0 last.

17. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Maiden voyage of brown grain First Avenues. My first AE boot no less.
    [​IMG]

Got these at shoebank as I waited too long when they were clearanced as firsts. Couldn't get 9E so I bought a 9D and a 9.5d. 9s were way too snug, so keeping 9.5s. (Side note, anyone want the 9's before I return them as they are now sold out?)

Really like the styling on these.

3 people like this.
  18. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Ok, remember, you asked. Sadly, its just an issue of fit for me. I explain this only in the hopes it may be of benefit for some other guy with similar feet and not as a fling against AE. I found my wide EEE feet and high instep just did not work well with many of the AE lasts. The shoes would be too tight across the vamp and little toe area on the right side. If I then went up in length I frequently encountered horrible gaps around the sides of the shoes at the throat. It seemed the best I could do would be to find a shoe that was close, stretch it in the vamp on the right shoe for a fit and then just tolerate the oversized V gap on a blucher shoe like the Rogue. I put the Rogue up for sale the day after someone pointed out the huge V gap. No way could I wear an AE balmoral because they never could be stretched to make them fit at all.

[​IMG]

I did find that the AE shoes that worked the best for my feet were always an "alternative" to plain calf leather. Such as a woven shoe like the Shreveport, suede like the MacNeil or saddlehorn leather in the Mapleton. They are all softer and close nicely. I like and will keep them all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I REALLY envied guys who could just look through the catalog and pick anything from most any last. The best AE shoes for me were like the Benton and the Ashton on the 678 last made for orthotics. I would adjust and remove the orthotics as needed for a comfortable wear. But AE moves on and they killed the Benton and are currently closing out the Ashton. Replacements? None so far. I felt I needed to consider bespoke shoes to get a shoe like the Park Ave that looked and fit well. It turns out I just needed to find a different set of lasts that worked better for MY personal feet and I found them over at Alden. A cap toe balmoral that actually closed AND fit!

[​IMG]

These cap toes are on the Hampton last and fit TTS for me. I have also found shoes on the Barrie last are good for my feet. Barrie runs a half size large for most people, but I wear them TTS.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also explored some vintage options and found the older USA made Florsheims and Hanovers were made on a larger last and worked better for my foot issues. Yes, I really like long wings.

[​IMG]

If AE is working for your feet you should certainly stick with them. FAR more stores, FAR bigger selection, better prices, numerous sales, great customer service, etc, etc. But I had to go with Alden for my dress shoes just because of fit. Alden costs more but they are FAR cheaper than bespoke. Its hard for me to wear tighter shoes when you know others in the closet are more comfortable. The better fitting shoes get selected and the others ignored. It was time to put them on Ebay for someone else.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    6 people like this.
  19. dfwcowboy

I received a pair of Tobywings from AE's ebay store. I was looking for a pair of casual wet weather shoes and I must say these are very much what I was looking for. It's kind of a shame AE doesn't offer more grain leather options. I think it makes for a superior wet weather shoe and it's hard to beat the look for casual wear. I can see why the Higgins Mill is so popular. The 1757 last is well suited for casual. It fits my food perfectly with plenty of room all around, but not so loose as to be sloppy anywhere. It already feels like it's broke in on the first wear and I can only imagine it's going to get more comfortable. The meaty rubber sole if very boot-like and grips firmly. I can imagine it's going to be very good on snow and ice although we don't get much of that in Texas. We do have a run of wet weather going on right now so the timing of these is perfect.

20. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

DFW cowboy,
    That is a great value there. Excellent find.

I recently purchased the Players 2.0 in brown grain / Dainite (108 last). It is a slightly more formal version of this shoe with the shortwing and brogueing. I love the fact that brown grain can be worn with a suit and jeans equally well. While a bit more expensive, at under $200 at shiebank, if they have your size these are a great value for a versatile shoe.