1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. polojock615

polojock615 Well-Known Member

I'm a little scared to tally them up. Are we counting those purchased in 2016 or those that arrived in 2016?

2. M635Guy

M635Guy Well-Known Member

My 2016 had six pairs of AE:

First up, in April, my "Mistake Cognacs" - perfect other than the cognac color wound up being more of an antiqued tan. Fit great and look awesome IMHO. One of my absolute favorite shoes I own of any brand:
    [​IMG]

Next was Olive Shannon Drives, which I loved other than they weren't quite Olive enough. I considered hitting them with Olive Meltonian, but recently sold them in favor of an Olive Strandmok...
    [​IMG]

In June, I noticed a nice pair of Jinglebell Moks at Shoebank, and since I wasn't sure if these would ever return, I grabbed 'em! I really enjoyed these over the holidays :)
    [​IMG]
    The discussion with my wife on these was kinda funny. She was a little torqued at another pair of shoes, until I said "Hey, lots of folks have ugly Christmas sweaters and those are really expensive. This is my substitute." Her answer was an understanding... "Oh... OK..." [​IMG]

My next shoe was the Academy. I wanted one as soon as they were announced, and I tempered myself by saying "I'll wait until they go on sale" - the thought being that would take a while. Then it didn't...
    [​IMG]
    These are one of my best travel shoes (and I travel a lot). They don't have any issues with airport security, they're super comfortable and they are able to handle a decent amount of weather. I'm trying to darken the CXL a bit, but these get worn a lot.

I'd always liked the blue Neumok, and when they put them on clearance in September, I felt like I had to order them. Since I had a Truman MTO in-process, a pair of Aldens on the way from Leffot and a pair or Alden Choco tankers from LeatherSoul via a member here, I felt like I needed to be *done* for 2016.
    [​IMG]

So that was it.

...Until early this month when they discontinued the Olive Strandmok and put it on clearance. I'd really wanted an Olive Neumok, and hoped the Olive McTavish release was going to be in the same leather, but it wasn't. So when the StrandMok got whacked I went to the AE website...and found out the 11.5E's weren't available. The only 11.5E in the country on ShoeBank was at the location 30 minutes from my house. I'm not sure why they were seconds - I guess some extremely small try-on wear, but I was happy to get them at the SB clearance price.
    [​IMG]

And that really should be it for a while. I picked up a number of other shoes during the year, and I'm out of room. While I'd love to have a suede Liverpool or one of the MassDrop chukkas, I'm not sure where I'd put them and frankly I need to establish the rotation for the shoes and boots I've got.

I'm considering having that tattooed on my forearm....
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
    4 people like this.
  3. hohneokc

hohneokc Well-Known Member

Here are my 2016 AE's
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Brown Country Grain First Avenues were purchased in 2016 but won't be here until 2017.

Chris

2 people like this.
  4. styleaudit91

styleaudit91 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Decisions, decisions. What's a weasel to wear to ring in the new year? I've narrowed down here. Will most likely go strandmok as the gathering I'm going to is less formal than others and I do plan to celebrate, and a chunk out of the 'moks only adds character.

I was hoping to use my whole cut card tn. But alas I'm only wearing a jacket and chinos so would seem out of place. Cheers to all. Been a good year (except for my investment account) and will take the bait on 2016 acquisitions tomorrow when I can't get out of bed.

5. lodemia

lodemia Well-Known Member

I find that my strandmoks are my go-to for this type of thing. Plan on rocking the blue ones tonight.

6. SLCRich

SLCRich Well-Known Member

Nighttime Neumok
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  7. styleaudit91

styleaudit91 Well-Known Member

They are a perfect knockaround but still care about my appearance type shoe.

[​IMG]

I made the decision as I'm sure many of you were in suspense of my choice :) also been saving a bottle of English cuvée for tonight that is spectacular. If you are looking for a nice story and taste and still need to pick up a bottle I would find a nice producer English cuvée. As climate change impacts the region, English is the new champagne when it comes to tasty bubbles!

Edit for bubble impact on grammar.

1 person likes this.
  8. eagleman

eagleman Well-Known Member

How much snow do you have there?

9. SLCRich

SLCRich Well-Known Member

Christmas eve night into Christmas the valley got 8-12. We haven't had a storm since though

10. eagleman

eagleman Well-Known Member

We don't get that much the entire winter.

11. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

I don't have any personal experience with that model. Some say the Nordstrom/Saks models are of lower quality than mainline AE, but as far as I know its hearsay. As a side note, I own the Sea Island version that was available for a time on nordstromrack.com. Unlike the mainline AE version, it seems to have been made in the US and is recraftable. I will say, I've seen lots of the ones that float around the outlets like Nordstrom Rack, and kicking around like they do for months leads to a lot of scuffs.

If you're new to AE, and looking for something less expensive, check out the current clearance sale on allenedmonds.com or a seconds quality model on shoebank.com, you'll get a lot more help on things like sizing with a model more people on this forum already own.

12. Lobster33

Lobster33 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

These were all the ones I ended up keeping in 2016 (all are pictured except for the Maritime). Biggest pleasant surprise would be the merlot PA. Biggest disappointment would be the Clark St. Just not a big fan of the sole, and may just have them remove it in 2017.

From left to right: Lasalle, Leeds, Clark St., PA, Rothsay, Carlyle, PA suede, PA navy, Easton, Harrison.

2 people like this.
  13. naspratt

naspratt Well-Known Member

Damn dude you like the cap toe. I suggest the Lexington so you can dress it down as well.

I really like your bal/derby balance. I need to learn that. I have like 12 bals and 5 derbies.

1 person likes this.
  14. Lobster33

Lobster33 Well-Known Member

Haha yes, it has really grown on me, especially since I was originally a split-toe guy. I was considering the La marche in brown earlier this year, but I waited too long. No big deal.

15. coolarrow

coolarrow Well-Known Member

Just a few AEs picked up this past year (compared to prior years). Hope to pick up a Higgins mill (on sale) and maybe an MTO in shell (if the trunk show comes back):

Bradleys in brown shell:
    [​IMG]
    #8 shell cordo belt:
    [​IMG]
    McClains in brown calf:
    [​IMG]

Some boat shoes (I think these are South shores): [​IMG]
    May the new year bring you good health, wealth and more AE acquisitions!

2 people like this.
  16. dfwcowboy

dfwcowboy Well-Known Member

I like that idea and would never have thought of it. I wonder if there's any difference in the distressing between brown and black. I'd prefer brown, but I'm not opposed to black. I like the distressed look, but it can definitely be overdone.

17. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

The wholecuts on the right - - is that the Austin? ??? Sharp looking shoe.

18. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Happy New Years to my forum pals. Here is to hoping for a trunk show in 2017. :violin:

3 people like this.
  19. M635Guy

M635Guy Well-Known Member

Happy New Year gang! This is a great (if fiscally damaging) community!

2 people like this.
  20. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

New Years Resolution: I am going to attempt to wear a different pair of AE's each day for the month of January. Wish me luck.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.