1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lobster33

Lobster33 Well-Known Member

Texas doesn't even know what shipped. [​IMG] Classic Tex.

2. Weathered

Weathered Active Member

Had a bit of a eye-opening trip to the AE store in MN being home for Christmas:

First off, I had the SA remeasure me and she put me at 9.5 D, with ball-to-heel being closer to 9.75. I tried a few shoes in 9.5 (most of my shoes now are 9 E) and it was a revelation. I tried a pair of Bartletts and I will be buying a pair sometime. The upgrade from the standard leather to the Indy line is everything that others have described.

Wound up putting a pair of the tan Strandmoks on hold to pick up tomorrow. Can't beat the unlined feel and I'm looking forward to having a more casual pair for jeans, cords, and chinos.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  3. amphillips79

amphillips79 Well-Known Member

More shearling options!

4. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

The guy that has TexasTexter's house on his run is going to end up suffering from PDSD. Post Delivery Stress Disorder.

5. vmss

vmss Well-Known Member

I am on vacation here in Orlando and visited the AE store in millennia mall with the intention to buy the AE strand until bumped into the AE Bartlett independence line. I was simply blown away by this shoe. The leather, design and fit is just incredible.
    I have Carmina and Enzo Bonafe and must say that the AE independence line uses better calf leather than my Enzo Bonafe which both are priced at the $500 mark.

You are getting a lot of shoe in this price range.

Exceptional service by the way, makes me want to come back soon.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
    2 people like this.
  6. quickonthetree

quickonthetree Well-Known Member

Did they measure you? The shoe looks amazing and I can't wait to add a Bartlett to my growing collection of Strands but that Vgap looks huge. Are the shoes to tight across the top? If you haven't worn them off the carpet I'd go back and try a wider size. Unless you all think I'm crazy lol. That vgap would drive me nuts.

7. vmss

vmss Well-Known Member

I didn't tight them up full. They are just right and when I break them in they will fit perfect. Yes, I took almost two hours in that store :) I had bought the strands in 9 but those were to long.
    Here I have them more tighten up:

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  8. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Well-Known Member

A question to my fellow weasels.

How do you guys wear your blue shoes? in the past I've been tempted by various blue/navy models, but never felt they really worked. For reference, I wear chinos and a button-down daily to work.

I do own blue Maritime boat shoes that I wear with shorts. I once bought the navy Oak Street Bootmakers beefroll loafers, but returned them for brown.

I'm actually currently covering two blue non-AE shoes (blue loafers with crepe sole and a navy grain shortwing blucher) but with AE's variety I feel like it's only a matter of time before I cave.

I'd love to see some outfits posted. Preferably not just bottoms of pants + shoe, but pants/shirt/whatever else included. But hey, beggars can't be choosers.

9. Lobster33

Lobster33 Well-Known Member

@vmss
    I was about to say, it looked like you have a large v-gap. I would say they fit you excellent.

I wish I was not so late to the party with discovering AE. Had I discovered them 1 year earlier, I would have had a much easier time getting my hands on some of the older Indy-line shoes like the Rutledge. Everyone swears the first Jefferson was better than the 2.0 (not sure why). There are still a few Rutledge's, Harrison's and maybe even some Jefferson's still out there. I haven't given up on the Rutledge, but finding one in one of my sizes will be difficult.

Speaking of, I noticed in this video that when they first released the Indy line shoes, they mention that, "70 % of the leathers are rejected." Does this mean that the original Indy-line shoes were not made of the same French tannery leather that we now see on the newer shoes?

[​IMG]

10. quickonthetree

Much better lol! Those are gorgeous. I will own some one day soon.

11. vmss

vmss Well-Known Member

They are really worthed, highly recommended!

12. amphillips79

amphillips79 Well-Known Member

I'll hook you up when I get my baby strand back in rotation. I do wear them with grey slacks, a navy Mezlan belt, and a variety of shirts (tending towards blue or purple)

13. quickonthetree

I have an unhealthy obsession with blue shoes. I'll try to put some ideas together to help you.
    In rotation I currently have
    Navy Neumoks
    Custom Navy Church's 1/4 brogues
    Navy suede Ralph Lauren longwings
    Navy suede Fryes Chukkas
    I know I'm missing one and can't think at 3:45am lol.
    Will be adding blue Strands,Strandmoks and 2 others I'm working on.

14. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

You can pretty much wear blue shoes with any color trouser except navy. To my eyes, that makes blue denim off limits, which is why blue shoes pose a challenge. I have two pairs, one in suede and one in she'll, and they're both fairly casual wing tips, so I do have difficulty with them.

1 person likes this.
  15. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Well-Known Member

I would wear blue with most things I wear black with, but you lose denim but gain in khaki/tan pants. If you wear a lot of tan/light brown/charcoal pants I don't think you'd have a problem fitting navy in. Probably think of it as a fun substitute for the various brown shoes you probably have :)

1 person likes this.
  16. middlepP

middlepP Well-Known Member

@BackInTheJox, I've been thinking this same thing in regards to the Navy Cronmok. I'm really eyeing that chukka, but wonder how I'd wear it. With the different depth of blue and the light welt, I *think* I could pair it with some denim (even if it makes PC shutter).

17. M2511

M2511 Well-Known Member

I tend to agree with the no blue with denim unless its very faded otherwise as someone stated previously it looks like cookie monster. Not sure how navy shell pairs but I'm imagining it would be similar.

18. M2511

M2511 Well-Known Member

Several Nuemok 2.0s went to clearance, I imagine the rest will be close to follow. I wonder how well they have sold. I think the overwhelming reaction here was that the 1.0s were better. Thoughts?

19. armedferret

armedferret Well-Known Member

More of a seasonal photo/combo, but the color works, and also because 'murica....here's mine with a nice off-white linen.

[​IMG]

Anything in the white-to-lighter-grays or lighter browns should work well, with maybe a red or a green if you really want to branch out. Takes chutzpah, but sometimes going for it pays off.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    2 people like this.
  20. dfwcowboy

dfwcowboy Well-Known Member

I can't compare the 2.0 because I don't own a pair, but I'm wearing the 1.0 right now and it's the most comfortable shoe I own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.