1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SLCRich

SLCRich Well-Known Member

Casual Friday cords and shoes.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. M2511

M2511 Well-Known Member

Ever since your first told us you got these from him I've been on the lookout. Unfortunately I never see them in my size in black or merlot. I have black ones now but I always check for them to pop in Merlot. The Indy line are so comfortable. I need to snag Bartletts when my walnut strands kick the curb. Not going to bother recrafting them as they were from our favorite ebay seller and have some creasing that I didn't mind when I got them for a discount but a recraft on them would cost more than double what I paid for them and they aren't exactly rare or discontinued haha

3. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Well-Known Member

I regret to inform you that you've come to the wrong place for that kind of advice. Might I suggest your spouse or another loved one without a debilitating shoe problem?

2 people like this.
  4. orange fury

orange fury Well-Known Member

I ran it in 4:59:21 last year- my only goal was completion, but I wanted to finish sub 5, so I was happy with it. I'm not really a competitive racer, so though I'd like to get a better time than last year, my goal is still just completion. Hit the wall solidly at 21mi last time though lol.

Coincidentally, I was out running (and lax-ing) yesterday:
    [​IMG]

Brooks Ravenna VI's, for those interested. Wonderful distance shoes.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  5. M2511

M2511 Well-Known Member

I'll help. Call them into a shoebank and have an SA tell you they are full of tiger striping so you then don't regret not trying but can say to yourself well it just wasn't meant to be. *I am not responsible if they turn out to look great and you decide to purchase* You're welcome [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

I think that's the right call. It's best to play it cool and nonchalant about the shoe fixation around your wife. That way, it draws less attention to the piles of boxes that will soon start to accumulate...

3 people like this.
  7. orange fury

My boxes just line the top of the closet- I think once you get past 10, each additional box isn't noticeable.

Same concept with shoes- I had on my suede Strands a few days ago, and my wife said she had never seen them before and asked if they were new. I've had them almost a year lol.

1 person likes this.
  8. AdironDoc

AdironDoc Member

Been in my Bellevues all week and waiting.. Anticipation was killing me, but at long last, my Shoe Bank Long Branches arrived yesterday while I was at work. I got a chance to try them this am. Love them!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  9. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."

The flat laces TOTALLY change the character of the boot and in very good way. Check out laces from Laccico who sells flat laces in multiple lengths, colors and widths. It's Very helpful to be able to choose the width of the laces so the proportion is right for the boot and the fit through the eyelets. Laccico has a website, but they are also sold on Amazon here. Several things one should know about these laces. They are sold in Germany and can take several weeks to arrive. They also charge as much for the shipping as the laces. Take these into consideration if there is a faster local option in purchasing laces.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  10. MattRiv

MattRiv Well-Known Member

LOL.

I think I've finally reached critical mass. I recently picked up a pair of Paxton loafers (older Cavanaughs on a different last) from ebay and my wife got pissed when the box came in. I cleaned them up and sat them on my dresser, where they've sat for almost a week. On Wednesday she asked what shoes came in the mail and I showed them to her and she goes "oh I thought you've had those a while".

Boom. Get them shipped to the office and she'll never know.

1 person likes this.
  11. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

NO, NO, NO!!! Asking the wife to open your very first pair of shoes is a ROOKIE move. Your shoes need to fly under the radar as long as possible.

"Honey, I know you are wrapping presents, cleaning the house, finishing your Christmas shopping and preparing for house guests, but could you stop all that, open the box and send me a picture of my first bag of cocaine?"

As a guy married 37 years and a closet full of shoes, please go with your first instinct and open the box yourself. You are welcome. And remember, all of us weasels on the thread are here to help.:cheers:

3 people like this.
  12. orange fury

You're not the only one, I absolutely love the Brooks tartan. I have the red, green, and blue bow ties, the red long tie, red cardigan, and now the slippers. I purchased the red green and blue shirts last year, but I couldnt dial in my fit enough to make it really work without extensive alterations.

The slippers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The quality is fantastic- I think I remember seeing somewhere that Peal & Co stuff was mostly (if not entirely) made by Church's. The shape of the toe looks identical to Church's slippers I've seen in the past, so I'd be willing to bet that's who made them (not to mention the "made in England" part). They do fit very narrow compared to what I'm used to, but not uncomfortably so. I don't think going up in length would help though, and they only have D widths (I ordered my standard 10.5D). In any case, I think they're already stretching, so it probably won't be an issue. The quilted lining is amazing, as is the wool.

I plan on wearing these with gray flannels primarily, with a blazer or cardigan (and socks- I'm only going sockless today to break them in). Basically the more casual end of the "conservative business dress" spectrum. I have some concern about how thin the leather sole is (and the all leather heel), so if I wear these to work, I'll probably carry them with me and put them on at my desk. I'm sure they'd do fine outside in dry weather, but I don't want to Subject them to concrete just yet.

I will say though, I'm in love with these (as are our cats, who keep laying down on my feet)- kind of making me want more slippers...

13. Mat Waites

Mat Waites Well-Known Member

As part of my court-ordered therapy, I am listing the AE's that I have purchased
    since I began to frequent this group..... (There were two more purchases that I sold off)

02/22/16 – Chili Varno $107 Shoebank
    05/25/16 – Oxblood McGregor $137 Shoebank
    07/22/16 – Brown Kirkwood $50 Ebay
    07/22/16 – Black Leeds $95 Dabondo
    08/25/16 – Brown McAllister $90 Dabondo
    9/29/16 – Olive Shannon Drive $119 AE on Ebay
    10/24/16 – Tan Jodox $60 Dabondo
    12/20/16 – Black St. Johns $95 Dabondo

So, do I have a problem? (other than no boots...)

1 person likes this.
  14. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Problem? Humm, let's see. 10 pairs in 10 months. Nope, looks normal to me.

3 people like this.
  15. orange fury

lol interestingly, my coworker's notice/give me more crap about my shoe collection than my wife does. I feel like I would never hear the end of it if our secretary walked into my office announcing that I had a package marked "AE" come in

2 people like this.
  16. dfwcowboy

dfwcowboy Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the birth of by 2nd child. I told the ultrasound tech I didn't want to know if it was a boy or a girl.

17. mreams99

mreams99 Well-Known Member

When I ran it, I started somewhat conservatively. Halfway through the race, I felt great and knew that I'd be able to finish strong in the second half. Three miles later, I felt pretty bad. By mile 20, the wheels had fallen off the bus. From that point on it was a struggle, and I finished about 20 minutes slower than planned.

18. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

I ran a race at Huntsville State Park (an hour north of Houston) a few years ago. The humidity killed me...

19. AdironDoc

AdironDoc Member

Initial noxious stimulus creates a reaction of alarm. "OMG, you spent how much on another pair of shoes?". With each added stimulus, less reaction. "Why not get a color you don't have yet?". I think psychologists call that behavior, "learned helplessness". My wife stopped asking about my purchases long ago. She has, in fact, yielded some of her shoe space to make space for mine. Isn't that egalitarian? Turnabout is fair play.

20. bathiel

bathiel Well-Known Member

Maiden voyage today of the reissued navy Cronmok, which I picked up a month or so ago for just $157. Definitely stiffer leather, and it appears to be lined (unlike the unlined pair I got from the previous run). So they're not as slipper-comfy right out of the box. But they'll soften up with a few wears, and I love how they look.

Bernie

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.