1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 007Bond

007Bond Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Well the Blue Numoks out for the first time.

Loving them I think they are the most comfortable AE shoes out of the box and only get better with time.

Also so far this is my best seconds purchase a flawless pair of shoes that included the shoe bags for $99 probably my best buy ever for AE.

What I find strange is all I do mean every and all pictures of this shoe that AE post looks nothing like the actual shoe. I just don't understand why AE continues to put up poor pictures for certain model shoes.

In any case enjoying them and I know the V gap will close up in a few wearing so really good fitting shoes for me.

1 person likes this.
  2. GerryD

GerryD Member

I also took advantage of the Lord & Taylor Dundee clearance, also my first pair of chukkas. Mine have the same issue where the grain is smooth at the toe, but I kind of like it that way, and think it might allow for more of a shine where it's smooth whereas the rest of the boot has more of a matte finish where it's grainy. I have to say, these might be my favorite shoes, just wish I had more opportunities to wear them (suit and tie at the office). I think I will enjoy them more once they are worn in a little as I will tend to wear them with jeans and chinos, and new they are a little on the dressy side.

1 person likes this.
  3. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    First, the Berwick was first noted in the 1985 fall catalog. The photo looks like it is burgundy in color and it is most likely style number 8877, which was Burgundy polished cobbler. All Berwicks at that time are some color of polished cobbler. All of the style numbers for the Berwick ends in 7, which likely means they are built on the 97 last.

As for the Sanford, this is likely style #5267 from 1989 that was released in Oak analine leather. All Sanfords style numbers also end in 7. Very similar to walnut in color and the Oak color was replaced by walnut in 1994. This happened in several styles at that time. The PA in oak analine was replaced by walnut analine in 1994.

2 people like this.
  4. pineappleguy16

pineappleguy16 Active Member

Do you guys size down on the neumok compared to other 65 last as it is unlined?

5. 007Bond

Speaking for myself I find my size is my size so I don't adjust much from 10D.

That said example 10D in an unlined shoe like the Neumok fits overall well side to side and front to back, also the V gap after a few wears will close up nice (I have a high instep).

Now for a lined shoe like say a Fifth Ave (or really any lined closed lace style) the 10D is great side to side and front to back but kills my instep, if I go wider it may help the instep but too wide, if i go longer to much room. So mostly avoid this type of shoe in the AE brand since it does not accommodate ppl with a high instep well. If it is a 65 last not closed lace say a Badlands it will fit just fine since you don't notice the gap as much and there is more forgiveness in the instep of this style.

Now maybe you are a normal instep so yea I think it could be a bit loose but not sure how much since... It was explained to me when I was at the AE factory that the last is the last and when they make the shoe they stretch the leather over the last. So in theory no matter lined or unlined the internal shoe size width and length should be exactly the same no matter lined or unlined. But IMO lined shoe gets looser with wear more than a lined shoe.

Also depends on socks I wear sock all the time some ppl omit them with the neumoks.

6. armedferret

armedferret Well-Known Member

I stayed Brannock for my navy Neumoks, and am Brannock on 5-lasted shoes. No issues for me.

7. VincentC

VincentC Member

Hoping one of you AE gurus can lend me some advice!

My first and only pair of AE's is currently a pair of Strands that I had MTO in mismatched sizes. I found that it works best for my feet with the 65 last. The sizes actually went with my brannock sizes of both my feet : 9E left and 9.5E right.

I'm looking at a pair on Shoebank that is built on the 201 last, which they say is a bit more full in the toe area and accomodated a higher instep. I go E width on the 65 last strictly for toe space, as I have a narrower heel. I also have a higher instep than the 65 last likes (about a centimeter gap in the lacing).

Which size would I be looking for in the 201 last? 9D? 9E? 9.5D? 9.5E? My main concern is the shoe being too long.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  8. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

@VincentC What are you looking into - if the answer is a Bartlett, the same size or d width I possible. If you're thinking of a rogue or a neumok, then you'd be right to worry. So depends a little.

9. VincentC

VincentC Member

10. NWTeal

NWTeal Well-Known Member

Naspratt is correct. The grain pattern will inevitably get stretched when being lasted. You'll likely get the same on all first quality grain shoes to varying degrees. This is also not just for AEs.

1 person likes this.
  11. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

A few weeks ago I mentioned UV shoe sterilizer for cleaning and deodorizing. There are many brands at different price points, and I thought I would show the "Sterishoe" version I picked up and how it works. The inserts are similar to shoe trees and the UV bulbs are in the front of the "tree." Two shoe bags are included that are used as part of the treatment process. Instructions are printed on each bag. A single plug transformer is used to power both units simultaneously by plugging in at the rear of the handle.

[​IMG]

The units are placed in both shoes and the length of the unit contracts like a shoe tree. This contraction is actually needed to activate the bulb. It will not turn on when not compressed and placed in the shoes.

[​IMG]

The bags are placed on each shoe and close with a draw string at the bottom of the bag. There is a slot that is used for the handle. The power switch is a small button at the front of each handle.

[​IMG]

The power buttons emit a blue glow to show they have been turned on. They are self times and will turn off automatically when finished.

[​IMG]

Pros:
    • It’s a convenient way of killing bacteria and other pathogens that cause Athlete’s foot, toe nail fungus, and foot odor. You just turn it on and insert it in the shoe, it turns itself off after 45 minutes.
    • Sterishoe is clinically proven to eliminate up to 99.9% of the odor-causing bacteria, fungus and viruses residing in shoes
    • Apart from ease of use it seems that rotating shoes isn’t effective because fungus spores remain dormant in your shoes. When you wear them again they are being revived by moisture and heat. The sanitizing 3W UV light kills off the bacteria instead of rendering them inactive.
    Cons:

It does not work on high heeled shoes and boots

Cost: The newer model of Sterishoe is now $149 new on Amazon. I found mine used on Ebay for $29.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  12. SLCRich

SLCRich Well-Known Member

Little splash of color for Thursday
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  13. 007Bond

Well sure makes me wonder about buying used shoes.

I remember reading about putting your shoe in a microwave for a min to kill, well everything.

Now I am not recommending that, just saying sounds logical the microwave would heat the moisture and kill the bacteria. You can by a microwave for like $20 a Wal-Mart just saying I have no tests on this...

But... there are several videos on YouTube that if you microwave your shoes then wear them you can break them in way faster (No I am not kidding). Oh yea they say it's a good way to dry your wet shoes too, who needs shoe trees... Now I have no intention of loading up my microwave with shoes besides my wife gets aggravated enough with my shoe stuff all I need is her to catch me putting shoes in the microwave I'd be a dead man.

14. VincentC

VincentC Member

Since the Strand and McAllister fit similar, would I be correct in thinking the Bartlett and Richmond Streets would fit similar as well?

15. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

I remember reading about putting your shoe in a microwave for a min to kill, well everything.

Now I am not recommending that, just saying sounds logical the microwave would heat the moisture and kill the bacteria. You can by a microwave for like $20 a Wal-Mart just saying I have no tests on this...

But... there are several videos on YouTube that if you microwave your shoes then wear them you can break them in way faster (No I am not kidding). Oh yea they say it's a good way to dry your wet shoes too, who needs shoe trees... Now I have no intention of loading up my microwave with shoes besides my wife gets aggravated enough with my shoe stuff all I need is her to catch me putting shoes in the microwave I'd be a dead man.

I would throw out a number of cautions about putting shoes in a microwave. Remember, any metal in the shoe, such as nails, eyelets or metal shanks, will react very poorly to microwave. Just recall the last time you put aluminum in there. Second, microwaves are designed to produce heat and this could possibly dry out leather and weaken or soften some of the glue joints used in the construction of some shoes. Finally, microwaves convert moisture into steam and this could be a bad thing for your shoes. All in all, I would side with your wife and suggest other methods.

1 person likes this.
  16. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

Yeah...I like to warm my underwear in the microwave before putting them on...Wife does not like that either!....not sure if it is the underwear in the microwave or me standing naked with my junk out in the kitchen.....

8 people like this.
  17. M635Guy

M635Guy Well-Known Member

The Cognac McT's today
    [​IMG]
    (as some of you have already seen...)

4 people like this.
  18. M635Guy

M635Guy Well-Known Member

I'm all kinds of crazy, but I'm definitely not putting my shoes in the microwave, for all kinds of reasons.

19. armedferret

armedferret Well-Known Member

I remember that there were lots of people on the internet who said when Pokemon Go first came out that by putting your phone in the microwave you could hatch eggs faster.

You can imagine what happened when people put their cell phones in the microwave.

Needless to say, shoes are not any better of an idea to do that with.

20. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Well-Known Member

Thank you for this post. It was illuminating.

Aside from all the humor, it does strike me as a good idea for people buying shoes expected to last 10+ years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.