• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Loving that color combo. Where are the pants from? Great color, but not sure I have any shirts to match.

I have several pairs of pants in a very similar color (I love pastel pants...)- white, blue, or white/blue (gingham/striped) are very safe combos. I've worn that color with a navy cotton blazer (unstructured PRL) and a gingham shirt, or with a blue OCBD by itself.

Green is easy to work with, as is Nantucket red.

Newberry

Reaction score

I don't mean for this to sound callus, but why not call a cobbler to ask?

True lol.

I honestly really don't mind if I do it myself and mess it up because that gives me a good reason to buy a pair of snuff suede Dundee 2.0 during RDA. I like the shape and fit of those a lot more.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What a lousy day. In the middle of what should be the last, glorious throes of a Chicago summer, we get a day that's only supposed to get to 70. Unfortunately, I have to break out my new favorite boots. Poor me.

There are only 2 things wrong with this boot. 1. They only came with dark brown laces. 2. The laces they provide are a touch short for 11.5 boots. I can only lace the first two speed hooks. Oh well, I guess I'll have to order longer laces off Amazon.

8d7f46d4b0239c556f0911f0acf9a93c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GerryD

Reaction score
Hi All,

First time poster, been lurking in this forum for a while. I thought I would post some pics of my new Academies. Overall I really like them, though the natural cxl is a little too light for my tastes (if they were offered in brown I would have been all over that!). Hoping they darken somewhat, but I love the look of CXL.

I plan on wearing these with jeans and chinos; navy today, but I would be curious to know what others think about color matching.

As others have noted, the worst viewing angle is looking down at the shoes. They look a little sleeker from the side. I decided I like the contrast of dark laces, but still playing around there.

deker9

Reaction score
Just received a pair of Oak Street's in blue via USPS...man are they riddled with surface damage. Dents in the leather all over, look like they were laced up in some weird fashion at some point. Going to have to call for an RMA on them tomorrow. Anyone experience something similar on these? Hoping it is just this one pair.

So got a new pair on exchange. These were a little better in the leather department but the sole of one shoe wasn't molded correctly and the stitching went through the circles in the danite sole. So I give up and returned them and instead picked up a pair of Strand's in Loden Suede.

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi All,

First time poster, been lurking in this forum for a while.  I thought I would post some pics of my new Academies.  Overall I really like them, though the natural cxl is a little too light for my tastes (if they were offered in brown I would have been all over that!).  Hoping they darken somewhat, but I love the look of CXL.

I plan on wearing these with jeans and chinos; navy today, but I would be curious to know what others think about color matching. 

As others have noted, the worst viewing angle is looking down at the shoes.  They look a little sleeker from the side.  I decided I like the contrast of dark laces, but still playing around there.

[ATTACHMENT=13661]Academy_1.jpg (2,502k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]
[ATTACHMENT=13662]Academy_2.jpg (1,904k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

If you want to darken and protect them. Maybe out some water protector on them? Anyone done this?

I have a pair of Frye boots made from CXL and I darkened them with Lexol.

DNSamurai

Reaction score
Hey Gang,

I'm moving this weekend to a new apartment that is double the rent and half the storage space (still trying to accept this). As part of that process I'm packing up all my shoes and clearing out everything I don't wear. On the AE front I have a pair of blue Neumoks in 9EEE (firsts, version 1.0) that I just don't wear very often. I'd like to get these to a new loving home. $65 shipped CONUS or local meetup if you are in the Los Angeles area. Thanks!

Newberry

Reaction score

Going to attempt to add an extra set of eyelets on my Gobi chukkas. If all goes good, great. If I mess up somehow, well then I'll just get a pair of snuff suede Dundee 2.0 boots during the RDA. Wish me luck...

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Going to attempt to add an extra set of eyelets on my Gobi chukkas. If all goes good, great. If I mess up somehow, well then I'll just get a pair of snuff suede Dundee 2.0 boots during the RDA. Wish me luck...
Good luck. Remember: measure twice, cut once.
biggrin.gif

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought I would post some pics of my new Academies. Overall I really like them, though the natural cxl is a little too light for my tastes (if they were offered in brown I would have been all over that!). Hoping they darken somewhat, but I love the look of CXL.

Neatsfoot should darken them (slightly). There are handfuls of options, though I can only vouch for this product:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000B3ASR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like your DIY thinking here, as I'm pretty much the same way. Just wondering, do you have a grommet/eyelet plan in place for once the holes are punched? I don't have my Gobis on hand, but I'm pretty sure there's a grommet on the underside to prevent the leather from tearing.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What a lousy day. In the middle of what should be the last, glorious throes of a Chicago summer, we get a day that's only supposed to get to 70. Unfortunately, I have to break out my new favorite boots. Poor me.

There are only 2 things wrong with this boot. 1. They only came with dark brown laces. 2. The laces they provide are a touch short for 11.5 boots. I can only lace the first two speed hooks. Oh well, I guess I'll have to order longer laces off Amazon.

8d7f46d4b0239c556f0911f0acf9a93c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it possible they based the lace length on bar-lacing the eyelets like in the AE.com photos? If so, not a good move.

I should have checked that when I tried on a pair of 8D's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads