1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

Congrats! on the order. I am still mulling it over to grab the Olive ones. Really trying to diversify my boots and right now I think there are about 8 wings in already...though no suede wings boots as I was never a fan before....drats!

2. M2511

M2511 Well-Known Member

Yea I didn't get anything either and I have some on order not to mention the at least 8 pairs I bought this year. I'm not upset about it but I'm wondering if it really is based solely on purchase volume?

3. Kahuna75

1 person likes this.
  4. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

No hard feelings. My only pair of AEs this year (besides the pending Massdrop chukkas) were black she'll Dundee seconds that I got for 299, since I had been on a waiting list for 2 years, back when those she'll second clearance sales were going on....

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  5. Roycru

Roycru Well-Known Member

Just took a picture of the inside of a Brooks Brothers McAllister. Best I could do with my camera.

Maybe a member who is a doctor who has one of the cameras that they use to look around inside of people could take a better picture of the inside of an Allen-Edmonds for Brooks Brothers shoe.

[​IMG]

Here's another (not very good) picture.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. drlivingston

drlivingston Well-Known Member

To be honest, I have never purchased a pair of firsts in my life. Seconds do me just fine.

1 person likes this.
  7. peppercorn78

Now that I think of it, of the 10 AEs that I still own, 6 were firsts. Of those firsts, 3 were MTOs.

8. Kahuna75

1 person likes this.
  9. Kahuna75

10. bkdc

bkdc Well-Known Member

Just received my Sutter Mill boot. Unlike the AE website photos, the vamp/front leather and the rear vertical strip is completely smooth whereas the sides are stamped textured leather (do likely initially cosmetically ugly leather). I actually like this subtle contrast. I'm pretty sure the leather is chrome-tanned and not vegetable tanned, and this is my only real complaint.

I prefer the comfort of the vibram-like sole over the Higgins Mill's Dainite even though I'm pretty certain Dainite will be more durable in the long term. But I prefer the low-maintenance Chromexcel upper of the Higgins Mill over the Sutter Mill cowhide upper.

I don't think I would buy either at retail price, but if priced equally, I wouldn't choose the Sutter Mill over the Higgins Mill.

1 person likes this.
  11. 007Bond

007Bond Well-Known Member

I am still not understanding if the gift packs came from AE corp or individual stores?

12. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Well-Known Member

13. 007Bond

007Bond Well-Known Member

I am interested as I totalled my 2016 AE purchases from the AE web site, stores, and shoebanks the grand total for 2016 is 35 pairs of shoes.

More seconds then first and not all for me I gifted some and sold some but does not matter what I did with them if you check the AE systems that is how many shoes I purchased in 2016.

So still interested what the kit was based on total from a single store or total.

14. cc808314

cc808314 Well-Known Member

2 years later and with so many AE's that I have lost count, I still do not get a catalogue. But that's fine, since there are retailers such as Skoak and AFPOS that know how to cater to shoe aficionados.

15. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Well-Known Member

16. peppercorn78

Yeah, I don't begrudge you a Dopp kit gift. My shoe spending total is probably just over a third of that, which is sobering enough! Damn. I guess it's time to put the brakes on LOL

17. Lobster33

Lobster33 Well-Known Member

Much appreciated!

There were a ton of AE BB shoes on Ebay that AE is selling for 179, but most of the good sizes are gone now. I definitely want more poron-insoled shoes, as my toes love them.

18. DNSamurai

DNSamurai Well-Known Member

Gents,

A recco if you will.

I have three pairs of Strands for when I need to go to court or otherwise wear a suit, and I have various boots, campmocs, and boat shoes for going casual.

I would like another shoe for business casual, meaning: dark jeans, button down shirt, and sports coat. Right now I use my natty Clark Streets to fill this role. What would be a good second biz-cas shoe to add to the mix?

Much obliged.

19. Kahuna75

rogue

20. MattRiv

MattRiv Well-Known Member

Possibly the recently re-released McTavish or a Neumok? Maybe the Alumnus/Academy? Also, since you like the Strand so much, the suede Strandmok is on clearance for $147.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.