1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TexasTexter

TexasTexter Well-Known Member

That's a good point. Its a great boot. Brown or Black?

2. RichieP

RichieP Well-Known Member

For some reason, I'm envisioning the news headline "Last Photo taken before area man falls down stairs." Witnesses report he was mumbling about barnweasels and asking "Am I bleeding oxblood?" before being loaded into the ambulance.

7 people like this.
  3. gm928

gm928 Well-Known Member

I think it looks good both ways - just depends on what slot you're trying to fill in your rotation. I've already got black McAdams filling the black bal boot slot, so I'd go for brown in the Fifth Streets.

4. SLCRich

SLCRich Well-Known Member

Ha that made me laugh. At least my feet would look good on the ride to the hospital

2 people like this.
  5. RichieP

RichieP Well-Known Member

Thanks pep. I've rarely strayed from the 65 last, so I'm trying to figure these out. Certainly casual observers will not notice from their eye level. I'll probably sleep on it (and then keep 'em! :happy:)

As Fernando said, "it is better to look good, than feel good."

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  6. Lobster33

Lobster33 Well-Known Member

Welcome, but I'm a bit confused/surprised about you comments. The Malones are a pretty wide shoe to begin with, so I'm surprised you had to go wider to make them fit. They do run short in the front, so I'm wondering if that was the problem you had. I wear the Malones in my usual size, they are pretty generous-fitting in terms of width in the ball. Or maybe it's because the Malones are made from the lower-quality leather, making them feel more loose than other 73-last shoes?

@TexasTexter
    In addition to what has been said already, there's not a huge difference between the Delray and Lasalle. Delrays are leather insoled, while the Lasalle is poron insoled. The stitching is smaller on the Delray, giving it a more dressy look. I think you'll also have more toe room with the Delray. Both are great shoes. The Lasalle is "Nordstrom's" custom version of the Delray.

7. tyort1

tyort1 Well-Known Member

Dress shoe - Carlyle is just beautiful, smooth clean leather and a quite European feel in person.

Casual shoe - Navy and Olive Strandmoks. Understated panache.

8. pbrandes

pbrandes Well-Known Member

Sorry, they're the 2.0's. Just got them in the RDA.

9. bkdc

bkdc Well-Known Member

The Independence Collection shoes. I guess people aren't willing to pay the extra $100 for a much higher quality shoe made wholly in America. The leather uppers of the regular AE shoe line is now stiched in the Dominican Republic. The extra cost is clearly worth it to me. I can say that the Hopkinson is absolutely amazing. The leather is clearly of higher quality (both the buttery soft lambskin lining and the glove soft outer) and my foot feels like it is being cradled with a soft leather glove. It's just more comfortable for all day wear with less foot fatigue. My specimen is perfect, and the 201 last is a big step up because I've never been able to fit comfortably in the 65 last (this is a personal issue) in my 7.5EEE size due to my high instep and uncomfortable pressure along my pinky toe area. Also, the First Avenue boot in the same last fits like it was tailor made for my foot.

My only complaint about any AE captoe shoe is that the cap still has some 'give' and flex to with firm finger pressure unlike my Alden caps which are completely stiff with no flex. It gives me confidence that the Alden cap toes will never crease at the cap. So far no cap creases on the Hopkinson.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  10. colco

colco Well-Known Member

Yep.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. angelescrest

angelescrest Well-Known Member

Look at those--great combination. So which model is that, and what kind of sole? Is that also kudu leather?

12. Middlife

Middlife Well-Known Member

Monday Morning, Merlot McAllisters.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  13. Scarlet

Scarlet Well-Known Member

If the shoes I have all had Independence versions, I would probably shell out the extra for the better quality leather and 100% US-made. Unfortunately the current Indy models just don't suit my style. If they make an Indy chukka I'll snap it up.

1 person likes this.
  14. bkdc

bkdc Well-Known Member

I agree with this, but I haven't found a last that fits me better than the 201, so on top of that, I will be snapping up any shoes AE decides to make in the 201 last (it would be so great if they got the upgraded Independence treatment). I have other AE shoes that fit okay but not great. The best so far has been the clunky MacNeil 97 last, but only the shell cordovan version actually fits me properly and the calfskin does not. Other AE shoes have had to undergo the shoe stretcher since I'm already at 3E width. The Higgins Mill fits me well because it is just so roomy, but I don't like the absolute lack of any arch support. I hope the Independence line is successful for AE so that the company is willing to step up with more higher end shoes. An Independence line chukka in the 201 last would be awesome! I would also LOVE to see something similar to the Fifth Street boot in the 201 last with upgrade leathers.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  15. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Well-Known Member

Wore them yesterday/Sunday. The combination of shape plus forgiving material makes them very comfortable. Would love to see them expand material / color options.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. colco

colco Well-Known Member

Thank you! That is the Macneil for Brooks Brothers. Scotch grain leather on a combo tap sole.

17. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

I guess this is as good a place to post this as any. Sporting a very nice eBay find this morning: vintage Florsheim Imperial derbies in kudu antelope. Shout out to @smfdoc for the hook up!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  18. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Participating in Merlot Monday today with the Strands. Tricky lighting this morning.

2 people like this.
  19. Jackboot

Jackboot Well-Known Member

Hey all,

I found a pair of Park Aves at a thrift store a while back, in my size and in excellent condition (for $10 IIRC).

Can anyone help me confirm the color of the leather? I'd like to buy some polish for them.

Here is the code written inside:

11 D 70675 11
    5875 3684

[​IMG]

Thanks for any help!

20. orange fury

orange fury Well-Known Member

Hey, we match!: [​IMG]

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.