1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Well-Known Member

@peppercorn78 and I discussed this earlier today, but there's a difference between dress shoes and comfort shoes. If you want a pair of comfort shoes, whether they be for travel, or just for thinks like walking the dog for which dress shoes are unnecessary, it may be worthwhile to consider cheaper brands like Clarks, or AE closeouts like the Voyager or something else you don't mind ruining. Finding a real dress shoe with a sufficiently light sole that holds up for years and years may be a challenge.

Unrrlated, but here is a photo I took of the two types of Walnut I've seen recently. If walnut was consistently similar to the color on this Acheson, I would pick up a pair or two.

2. donkeyhoatie

donkeyhoatie Well-Known Member

50 degrees and possible rain today made me turn to my first pair of AEs, the Longbranch. Got these 2 years ago during the RDA sale and opened the floodgates on my wallet.

They're still 1/2 size too big, but mostly tolerable with mid weight socks.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 people like this.
  3. Roycru

Roycru Well-Known Member

The shoe of a thousand names (well, almost a thousand).......

Several years ago, when I got these shoes, they were "Corporate Casuals".

[​IMG]

I have forgotten what this color was called then, but since then they have, like all brown shoes, decided to be a different color, with the only traces of the (almost) original color being on the tongue. Since shoes never stick their tongues out, no one will ever see this.

A recent article in the Shoe Snob Blog about brown shoes changing color as time goes by:

http://www.theshoesnobblog.com/2016/10/no-two-brown-shoes-are-equal.html

4. Buster Brown

Buster Brown Well-Known Member

Day 3: more booth duty and networking meals. Jacket is a repeat from day 1.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. coop23us

coop23us Member

New suede Strands. Second wearing. I admit, I have a lot going on here. The socks looked good at 5AM in the dark...

[​IMG]

12 people like this.
  6. Scarlet

Scarlet Well-Known Member

A cool and rainy day seemed perfect for HMs.
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  7. cutips8765

cutips8765 New Member

Can anyone share their opinion on my newly purchased McAllister shoes?

I bought them as firsts from the AE website, but the toe box seems a bit more prominent than usual. What do you think? Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. baselinemerc

baselinemerc Member

Looks great. I've been known to be a sock rule breaker. Though I work in a very casual environment where no one frowns on my sock choices hahahaha Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. baselinemerc

baselinemerc Member

Thanks for the inspiration. I purchased pants recently in that color and have been struggling finding a way to pull them off. May have to pair them with my suede neumoks from bb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 person likes this.
  10. narcosis219

narcosis219 Active Member

If I'm using Saphir renovateur to condition, should I be using the saphir cream to polish? It looks like the cream conditions as well, so im afraid I'll be over conditioning.

Anyone know what color to buy for a Mora 2.0 dark chili?

11. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Well-Known Member

Dang it. My belt is also way off center. This picture is going to bug me all day!

12. M635Guy

M635Guy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Middlife

Middlife Well-Known Member

I need some help in making a decision on which pair to keep as my formal black balmoral.

The Carlyles were shipped in shoebags with no 2nds marks on the bottom of the shoes, which leads me to believe that they are really firsts. I got them at a previous summer 2nds sale price of $195.

These Park Aves are a successful 3rd attempt at receiving a good pair of firsts, pricematched from the Nordstrom Anniversary sale at $265.

Both pairs fit great. Which would you keep and why? And no I'm not going to keep both you FBWs.

My current rotation:

Brown Shell Strands
    Merlot McAllisters
    Walnut Madison Parks
    Natty Higgins Mills
    Loden Suede Dundees
    Bone Suede Maritimes

Carlyles
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Park Aves
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. gm928

gm928 Well-Known Member

15. MattRiv

MattRiv Well-Known Member

Depends on the shoe and your expertise really. I've done both with success. What color are you working with? What are you trying to cover up?

Renomat works great from what I've heard... I use acetone, personally.

16. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Well-Known Member

That's a tough call. Maybe the Carlyles since everyone and their uncle has a pair of Black Park Aves. Then again, the PA is popular for a reason and, in my opinion at least, has a bit of a more pleasing silhouette. All else being equal, you'd get more money back for returning the PAs. [​IMG]

So, I didn't help at all I suppose.

17. FaRKle

FaRKle Well-Known Member

You don't have to use the Saphir cream to polish. I use renovateur and polish with AE's stuff after.

18. Newberry

Newberry Well-Known Member

Quick question, can you return first quality AE shoes at the Shoebank?

19. gm928

gm928 Well-Known Member

I've never tried it, but I think the answer is "yes." The main AE website's "return" info says, "Returning Items In Person: You may also return products purchased through AllenEdmonds.com to any Allen Edmonds company-owned store." All of the b&m shoebank outlet locations are AE company-owned, and the outlet locations are all shown when you use the "store locator" function on the main AE website. But you can always make a telephone call and confirm.

20. amphillips79

amphillips79 Well-Known Member

Oxblood is the color I'm going to attempt first. If it goes over well I may attempt bourbon next.

The bourbon has some tiger striping on the cap toe I'd like to try and fix.

The oxblood has an oddly colored spot that I can't seem to fix with just brushing/polishing. I think I can strip it down and try to blend it back in but not sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.