1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bkdc

bkdc Well-Known Member

No one will see them unless you cross your legs, as stated by another person.

I personally dislike the FEEL of Dainite as I walk. It does not feel as comfortable as leather. I'd rather have leather with V-tread soles. But if you like how it feels, I wouldn't worry about how they look. Thankfully, I don't have to commute in Manhattan. I have no qualms about exposing my leather soles to salt and ice and a little slush.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  2. 007Bond

007Bond Well-Known Member

I agree with you on the leather and a little weather does not seem to hurt as long as you are not walking miles on rough concrete and you dry things out when you get home.

You bring a good point I too don't like the Dainite just like you said it feel like there are pressure point with the nubs.

Also the V-tread is a great in bad weather I have been in very wet conditions with mien and no issue feet don't get wet and sole still looking just fine.

3. FaRKle

FaRKle Well-Known Member

I'd be more worried about slipping with leather soles (butyl doesn't help with this) in wet weather than the durability of the soles in general. Walking along brick, lightly/non textured concrete, or marbled floors REALLY sucks when wet.

4. bishopcraiga

bishopcraiga Well-Known Member

Alone in the witness room with nothing but my bourbon PAs (and my fellow FBWs) to keep me company. As much as I enjoy the rare occasion I need to suit up, I'd rather not be confined to the isolation chamber for the next few hours.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

4 people like this.
  5. 007Bond

I have a regular foot for fitting in AE shoes. That said I use to own a pair of Benton that had the stock orthotic insert. Bought them since they looked ok and were a good deal. Mistake I really hated that shoe and how it fit so much so that I put it up for sale on eBay shortly after purchasing. So I learned that if you don't really need an orthotic you should not buy a shoe that has one or can accept one.

Also I much prefer leather soles and the Benton had not only a rubber sole but this padding below the insert and the insert itself was additionally padded. So the feel for me was walking on this big sponge cushion bouncing every step.

Unless you really need the orthotic it's best to just buy shoes on the last that fits you best.

6. baselinemerc

baselinemerc Member

Just got these shell seconds in. I see some minor discoloration at the heel which I don't care about. Minor discoloration at the toe. I ordered some cordovan cream from Allen edmonds. What do you folks think ? I only have 1 pair of cordovan shoes so I'm not sure what is acceptable. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. 007Bond

In my experience if we are talking for example slipping on ice unless you have something that has real grip like aggressive boots and even with them ice is slick you can still slip and fall.

I guess what I mean is leather (that you have worn and is not new out of the box) has about as much grip on ice as the rubber on most shoes.

Now ice aside let's say just some lite show on a sidewalk, here if you have leather or general rubber that does not have an aggressive pattern like on many shoes they are about equal. But if you have a rubber sole with an aggressive pattern like found on several of the AE boots then this does have an advantage over flat leather or rubber.

But since I don't really want to wear an aggressive sole all day I just carry a pair of Tingley Men's Storm Stretch Overshoes in my bag. They are less than $20 on amazon and give you grip and save your whole shoe from the weather when you are outside and just take off when inside.

The marble is really bad but the overshoes are soft and tend to have grip.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  8. FaRKle

FaRKle Well-Known Member

I'm talking about light weather, just wet surfaces from rain. Even worn leather won't help you there if trying to walk (shuffle) across those surfaces.

9. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Yes, there is a discoloration when you get close up. The first, more distant view, makes it far less noticeable. Do remember that the cordovan cream will add some color and that exposure to sunlight with wearing will gradually lighten the shoe and help it develop patina. For me, the discount for seconds, plus the current sale, would make me keep them.

10. 007Bond

In this case the only thing I found that helps is the overshoe they are soft rubber and do have some grip. However being soft rubber if you wear them a lot on rough surfaces they will wear out fast they sure are not meant to be like shoes.

11. 007Bond

Hmm how much did you pay again?

If it was a good price I think I would keep them as over time things should work out and from the photos it would seem from standing eye level it can't be noticed.

12. baselinemerc

baselinemerc Member

Thanks for the feedback I was on the same page. I think it will normalize over time. I got them in the shoe bank sale so at 459 for shell. Still a good deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. 007Bond

Great report back how you like them I don't have any shell so interested how a person who just got a pair feels about them and if it will sway future purchases.

14. eagleman

eagleman Well-Known Member

Walnut Wingtip Wednesday

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. Lobster33

Lobster33 Well-Known Member

I would keep those Leeds -- they look great for being 2nds.

16. polishrifle

polishrifle Well-Known Member

Reached a professional milestone today and am excited to partake in this years trunk show as a means of celebration. For those who have participated in the past, what options (color aside) will be available to us? Are we truly able to select any current AE shoe? One SA indicated that the trunk show will be limited to the current shell lineup and one additional model (Carlye was specifically mentioned). Can we change the welt/edge dressing as well? I've got some 2 make-ups in mind that I'm ready to pull the trigger on. If Whiskey shell is really available a 3rd may be in the cards as well.

17. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, are some balmorals more appropriate for Dainite (i.e. rough leather, light colors, non-traditional colors?) than others? Or would you say that sole is irrelevant as long as you don't cross your legs and wag your sole in someone else's face?

18. gm928

gm928 Well-Known Member

I'd say that if you're a banker or lawyer in a large city, you'll want to stick with leather soles on your most formal shoes. For anyone else, it's more a matter of personal preference, and less than 1% of the people you interact with will ever notice the difference.

1 person likes this.
  19. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Walnut wingtip Wednesday here too. RL x AE Sandersons.

1 person likes this.
  20. Lmrjfud

Lmrjfud Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Yes, I know Bals should not be worn with jeans, but I was not going to change my pants just to try these on.

Shoebank seconds from the sale.

Oxblood October.

6 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.