1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lobster33

Lobster33 Well-Known Member

Not sure if this works well, but I'm trying new laces. Hot as hell today.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  2. middlepP

middlepP Well-Known Member

Wait, nobody else keeps their AEs in a fireproof safe?!? Huh...

2 people like this.
  3. middlepP

middlepP Well-Known Member

@matthewisch - keep in mind the 201 and 511 fit shorter and slightly wider than the 65. And you will likely experience better closure on both, certainly the 201, than a comparable Strand. I doubt dropping down to 8.5EEE would work, though every foot is different. If it helps, I'd say most people either take the 201/511 in the same as 65 (especially if this matches your brannock measurement) or go up a length and down a width (to get closer to their brannock)

Edit: Welcome to the forum! Also, @Neo1 put together a nice AE fit guide that is definitely worth perusing.

1 person likes this.
  4. hohneokc

hohneokc Well-Known Member

I just use AE Leather Lotion on my Higgins Mills. I don't worry about the tongue - it's the tongue and will get creased up by the laces. If you feel you need to do something to the tongue, I use AE spray waterproofer for suede on my suede shoes.

Chris

5. bkdc

bkdc Well-Known Member

I use Saphir Greasy Leather Cream. It has a neatsfoot base, and it designed for oily leather like Chromexcel. I don't use anything else on Chromexcel. I'm pretty much a Saphir convert and will only use Allen Edmonds shoe polish products if I'm looking for an exact color match. Saphir Renovateur is the best thing since sliced bread.. as pricey as it is.

1 person likes this.
  6. donkeyhoatie

donkeyhoatie Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm probably going to be going the Saphir route once I get through all the AE Leather Lotion and Conditioner Cleaner I currently have. Heard way too much good things about it to not spend the extra money on Saphir.

7. Middlife

Middlife Well-Known Member

My Brannock is 8E. For balmorals on the 65 last. I can wear 8E but it is a bit long as well as tight across the ball of my foot, 7.5EE works much better for me.

For the First Ave, I'm swimming in 8E, I would go down half a size to 7.5E. For the Dundee I wear 8E.

Hope this helps!

That bourbon color is gorgeous by the way [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. matthewisch

matthewisch Member

2 people like this.
  9. mosy

mosy Well-Known Member

So wh

So what do you think of this pair?

10. Lobster33

On the better side of bourbon. They look somewhat similar to my Carlyles. I think darker bourbon looks better on the plain toes / cap toes, but light works better on the Strands and McAs.

perfect bourbon:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. Uncle

Uncle Well-Known Member

If you know your size, I would call the Hickey
    Question unrelated to shoes. I realize there may be a more appropriate thread for this question, but I have come to trust your opinions regarding matters of taste. I need a suit. I have a wedding to attend in November, and the only suit that sort of fits is about fifteen years old and looks it. It's a three button number in dark charcoal that I picked up while on my honeymoon. While I may someday attempt to have it tailored to fit even better, I should probably pick something more timeless in appearance. My thought is to get something in navy. Besides this and other weddings, it will probably be used for any interviews that I may have in my future. Now for the questions. Are the Brooks Brothers 1818 suits any good? There's a 40% off sale that brings them to between $700-800 which is probably about the upper end of my budget. Additionally, are there other purveyors of suits in the same general price range that I should be considering? Cheaper would be better, but I don't want junk.

For reference, this is one I am considering:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Regent-Fit-Bird's-Eye-1818-Suit/MK00695,default,pd.html

Now, let the opinions fly! Thanks in advance. If u know your size and fit preferences, I would talk to the folks at the Hickey Freeman factory outlet in Rochester. They are wonderful to work with. Prices approx 55 pct of retail, give or take.

12. Uncle

Uncle Well-Known Member

If you know your size, I would call the Hickey
    whoops. I'd call the HF factory store in Rochester. Wonderful to work with. About half of retail. Give or take.

1 person likes this.
  13. mosy

mosy Well-Known Member

Thanks!

14. Middlife

Middlife Well-Known Member

Oh no, my poor wallet. I live in Rochester and I need a suit and some jackets. I'm scared.

2 people like this.
  15. Chop Chop

Chop Chop Well-Known Member

Anyone know the last of the old AE Tresana Seven's?

16. Marc S

Marc S Well-Known Member

17. TexasTexter

TexasTexter Well-Known Member

Hey Guys,

Did anyone notice that all the Grey shoes have vanished from AE website? Wonder what happened>??????!!!!

18. naspratt

naspratt Well-Known Member

Stop that! I still haven't gotten over the pain of missing out on these.

19. SLCRich

SLCRich Well-Known Member

Nighttime Rich
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. Lobster33

Thank God the blue is still there. I suspect no one was buying the grey, but I'd like to know the reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.